NY and LA Locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Roycap

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Is anyone receiving both NY and LA Network feeds? If yes, how?

If you are a D* subscriber and want NY AND LA feeds of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC you need to get local waivers.
If you are in a so-called "white area", that is outside any market, you can also get the network feeds.
Dish offers a similar distant network setup.
Otherwise, if you need east and west coast network feeds, you can get them (at least ABC, CBS, Fox, and CBS all in HD from Boston and Seattle) from Canada's Bell Expressvu without waivers.

If they think your reception is really bad according to some formula, then you don't need a waiver. We get NBC & CBS fine, ABC kinda snowy, PBS and FOX really snowy. Their formulas say we get everything great except ABC kinda snowy, not enough to give us NYC/LA for anything. But, dtv or pegasus turned on FOX and PBS for unknown reasons, no complaints here. :) After the courts got dtv to obey the distant channel rules, they never turned those off. We're charged a la carte for them.

Pegasus put in a note with their June bill saying that since we got local channels 2 weeks ago, they'll turn off PBS 30 days after we got locals since it's in the package, no mention of FOX. Even screwier, PBS isn't carried in our local channel package, tho our area's PBS station is in other market's local packages.

It looks like you fill everything out on the website (maybe call), they ship it, self-install or pay a local indie dishnet installer. If I figured right, it is ~$21/month ($12.59/month for the required locals package, $75/year for the US package, $1.18/mo. for Seattle or Boston's networks, $1/mo. for the other city's networks.) Pretty expensive for a networks package, but hey.

But you do get them, and in HD (along with WGN).
And no worries about antennas or waivers.
It is about what two premiums cost - and frankly, I think we get much more viewing on the nets than of the premiums.
But to each his own.
At least the networks in HD ARE available if anyone wants them enough.

I bet we'll be blocked out eventually. Once US stations find out about this, they'll try to stop it. Directv offered both coasts for ages before some station realized what was going on, so it might be quite awhile.

It reminds me slightly of that Canadian website that streamed a bunch of channels, not sure if they were cables or networks or both. Tho, they were shut down cuz they weren't paying the channels.

Actually, DirecTV still offers both coasts - if you have a waiver fromn your local stations.
Eventually, as network affiliate agreements are renewed, I wouldn't be surprised if the nets figure out a way to serve those who want distant signals - as long as it is from an O&O (and they can make money from it.)
For example, imagine all the ex-New Yorkers who might pay $14.95 a month to see their old network stations.

I meant without the waiver or signal weakness requirements. Very naughty they were, but I loved it while it lasted.

It's more up to locals since they're the ones that are hurt by distant feeds. If legal, locals oughta charge to sign waivers for the $ loss from lower ratings. They could about go ad-free if enough people took advantage and we could subscribe to any city our dishes could pick up, or all cities.

Cable here used to carry locals and distant networks. They blocked duplicate programming on the distants. (They still carry distant indie channels.) If it's still legal, we'd be able to watch NYC/LA news and such, but not most syndicated & network programs.

NY & LA Network Feed...

We receive the NY & LA Network Feeds because we own a Recreational Vehicle. We had to sign a consent form, and I cant subscribe to sports pac or any other sports thing, but it's worth it. Oh, and I have to go online or call for PPV, because when were on the road we obviously can have a constant phone line.

perkke said:
We receive the NY & LA Network Feeds because we own a Recreational Vehicle. We had to sign a consent form, and I cant subscribe to sports pac or any other sports thing, but it's worth it. Oh, and I have to go online or call for PPV, because when were on the road we obviously can have a constant phone line.

how do i sign a consent form, ill do it right now.. i would love to have the LA feeds. I'm in NYC now. Also some spoke of a local waver? how would i do that also? Thanks!

spaceplexx said:
how do i sign a consent form, ill do it right now.. i would love to have the LA feeds. I'm in NYC now. Also some spoke of a local waver? how would i do that also? Thanks!

This page on DirecTv's site tells you all about the RV waiver http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/Learn/DNS_Vehicles.dsp

You can also call DirecTV and req they send waivers to your local stations, but they rarely grant them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)