NY being charged taxes??

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
My Dish bill this month includes taxes. We never were before and NY is not listed in the states that they mention. Has anyone else in NY gotten charged taxes this month? Geesh another $17+ on the bill is crazy.

I too from seaford, ny just noticed this as well....wtf!!!?? there was no mention on nys getting billed for taxes? Looks like i willb emaking calls on this as there was no prior mention of this at all...........rolou21

I now have a channel 211 in my guide for NOTAX. It lists Representatives from Arizona, Florida, Massachusetts, Ohio, Utah, California, Georgia, North Caralina and Tennessee. Do not see New York on the list.

I don't have Dish yet, but are you saying that North Carolina is on the list of states that have to pay sales tax on the monthly service?

I googled, and found articles that Dish and Direct were suing NC for this practice in 2003...couldn't find anything on the outcome.

I don't have Dish yet, but are you saying that North Carolina is on the list of states that have to pay sales tax on the monthly service?

I googled, and found articles that Dish and Direct were suing NC for this practice in 2003...couldn't find anything on the outcome.

I don't know, you should check with dbs customers there. The slate that Dish is using list NC among other states.

Yes you will pay tax here in NC. The tax was added about two years ago maybe sooner.

Sales tax is added on equipment transactions

aha! Thank you. I never gave that a thought and I didn't notice they did it when I got the two receivers in Jan. I went back an looked and sure enough they had. Thank goodness. I wouldn't want to have to pay that every month. My upgrade wasn't quite free then.

IN NC, there has been a 5% satellite tax for 4 years..This tax was passed in the middle oif the4 night in a session ordrd by the governor..The tax was passed due to lobbying efforts of the cable industry..The cable lobby whined that satellite companies were at an advantage becuase they don't charge franchise fees as the cable co's must pay and then pass along to their customers...SO the state of NC never seeing a tax they didn't like said ok let's tax satellite...And these stupid bastards in this state keep re electing the same sob's that waste billions and raise taxes..I hate NC I am leaving at my earliest oppotunity..Going 10 mies south into SC..Lower taxes, better schools, cheaper gas, better roads, less expensive homes..

Sales tax is added on equipment transactions
NY is one the states that taxes it's residents on purchases outside the State..In other words if you order something thru the internet or go pick it up yourself NY somehow finds out and bills you for the NY Sales tax..How the do this I have no idea. Actually in most states a person who makes a purchase out of state is supposed to report(Yeah right) that purchase and pay any applicable sales tax...Of course no one in their right mind would do this....But anyway...NY tracked your receiver purchase or Dish reported the purchase to the State..

NY is one the states that taxes it's residents on purchases outside the State..In other words if you order something thru the internet or go pick it up yourself NY somehow finds out and bills you for the NY Sales tax..How the do this I have no idea. Actually in most states a person who makes a purchase out of state is supposed to report(Yeah right) that purchase and pay any applicable sales tax...Of course no one in their right mind would do this....But anyway...NY tracked your receiver purchase or Dish reported the purchase to the State..
Its not an internet sale if the installer brought ithe receiver with him

I live in Mississippi and I have paid taxes for about 2 years now, looks like if they were going to charge one, they would charge all, doesn't seem quite fair the way they do it.

Bumblebee8

Fair has nothing to do with it. Dish has a business presence in just about every state and has to collect sales tax on transactions (Internet or not) in accordance with STATE law. NJ currently charges no tax on satellite service but does charge for equipment (including down payments, but not rental), installation and one time fees such as for activation. Fortunately they allow recurring fees, rental and service charges to remain tax free.

I live in Mississippi and I have paid taxes for about 2 years now, looks like if they were going to charge one, they would charge all, doesn't seem quite fair the way they do it.

Bumblebee8
It's a state's rights issue. Just as each state sets their own statutes thye set theior own tax artes..It has nothugn to do with fairness. Using that logic, it woulkd then not be "fair "for Florida to not have an income tax when other states do.

DISH Network taxes in NYS:

I live in Monroe County. Combined sales tax is 8% (County. & State).

Found out tax is collected on DVR rental and "Protection Plan".

The "plan" costs $8.99/mo. DISH is allowed to collect on ONLY $8.00, not the $0.99. In my case that's $0.64/mo. (Got a letter with a DISH letterhead that proves that!)

The DVR is LISTED at $15.00/mo but they only charge me $7.00/mo. However they charge the 8% tax on the $15.00 fee, not the $7.00 fee. That amounts to $1.20/mo. (Really should be $0.56.)

Total tax SHOULD BE $1.84 BUT I'm getting tapped for $1.92/mo! Eight cents doesn't sound like much but add up all the overcharged NYS customers and DISH is pocketing a huge amount of money!

Check your bills present and past. File a complaint with the NYS AGO. It's easy, online & free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)