NY being charged taxes??

DISH Network taxes in NYS:

I live in Monroe County. Combined sales tax is 8% (County. & State).

Found out tax is collected on DVR rental and "Protection Plan".

The "plan" costs $8.99/mo. DISH is allowed to collect on ONLY $8.00, not the $0.99. In my case that's $0.64/mo. (Got a letter with a DISH letterhead that proves that!)

The DVR is LISTED at $15.00/mo but they only charge me $7.00/mo. However they charge the 8% tax on the $15.00 fee, not the $7.00 fee. That amounts to $1.20/mo. (Really should be $0.56.)

Total tax SHOULD BE $1.84 BUT I'm getting tapped for $1.92/mo! Eight cents doesn't sound like much but add up all the overcharged NYS customers and DISH is pocketing a huge amount of money!

Check your bills present and past. File a complaint with the NYS AGO. It's easy, online & free.

Are you kidding me?!? File a complaint for 8 cents a month?!? :wtf2 :p

Our bill for our VT service address is lower than it was in FL, but FL has a $9/mo "satellite tax" that VT does not. If we use Ft Clinch State Park in FL as our service address, we pay the tax and get the Jacksonville, FL locals. If we use the Crooked River State Park just over the border in GA for our service address, we don't pay the tax, and still get the JAX locals. Guess where we leave our service address when we move the RV from Crooked River to Ft Clinch? ;)

I live in Florida and the taxes are high, but Dish was suing Florida because cable does not pay the same high tax. But I never heard whether Dish lost the suit or not. But the taxes have not gone down. Knowing the state, they probably just added the tax to the cable to get out of the suit.

DISH Network taxes in NYS:

I live in Monroe County. Combined sales tax is 8% (County. & State).

Found out tax is collected on DVR rental and "Protection Plan".

The "plan" costs $8.99/mo. DISH is allowed to collect on ONLY $8.00, not the $0.99. In my case that's $0.64/mo. (Got a letter with a DISH letterhead that proves that!)

The DVR is LISTED at $15.00/mo but they only charge me $7.00/mo. However they charge the 8% tax on the $15.00 fee, not the $7.00 fee. That amounts to $1.20/mo. (Really should be $0.56.)

Total tax SHOULD BE $1.84 BUT I'm getting tapped for $1.92/mo! Eight cents doesn't sound like much but add up all the overcharged NYS customers and DISH is pocketing a huge amount of money!

Check your bills present and past. File a complaint with the NYS AGO. It's easy, online & free.

In many circumstances you pay the tax on the non discounted price or the fair value price. As I have seen with other companies DISH has made a mistake in the past on taxes but your analysis needs more research to see if they are collecting too much. And for most any of these mistakes companies make I blame the ridiculous tax system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)