• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

shappyss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
LI, NY / Boston MA
I am in the NY market and usually I would jump on the opportunity for an upgrade but I am reluctant this time. I have a HD Tivo and am able to receive all my locals OTA with over 90% signal on all of them. Also I don't want to be stuck in a two year contract (Fios will be here soon, maybe even Fios TV) and I also want to see the new HD DVR and HMC before I decide. I don't see an advantage to upgrading and was wondering what others were doing.

On the other hand I am scared that one day soon D* will make an announcement that will make everyone want the new dish and then the demand will be so high I won't be able to get an install for 3 months.

What is everyone around here doing and what are your thoughts.

Thanks for your input!

The scared part is what i can not deal with. I waited 2 months VOOM and Digital Cable hook up. My MPEG install is on Jan 6. Thats a 10 Day wait not so bad. I have the old DTV HD reciever.

I am waiting...

as I posted elsewhere, getting the new dish mounted is going to be a problem for me. Plus there's no reason to switch since D* isn't giving me any additional channels, at least for now. I thought MAYBE the rumours about PBS-HD were true with D* trying to give an incentive to upgrade but even that isn't happening, again at least for now.

With Cablevision in my neck of the woods (Nassau County, NY) trying to drive itself out of business by offering a weak channel lineup I'm waiting for FIOS. Verizon has a presence in my town but they haven't yet wired my condo; hopefully they'll get around to this before long.

Every one has different needs but for me this bigger dish may be a deal breaker. We'll see how it works out.

=NLK=

No New HR20-250 DVR :hungry: , No Upgrade!! :down
I dont want any "so called" installer messing with my setup
(I have tweaked it to perfection, 90+ on all OTa, and 95+ on SAT)
Unless there are New HD channels and the New HD-DVR!
These would be the ONLY reasons I would upgrade now!!!

They will need to have a MPEG4 capable DVR with all of the functionality of the HD TIVO for me to upgrade. I Dont want an HD capable version of the R15 with all its problems. Direct TV wont even admit that the unit has problems with recording. And what kind oof 2 tuner DVR doent have dual buffers. They should be advancing the feature set beyond the tivo unit not moving backward. We should have PIP and networked units.

Longhorn, any word on any channel additions to the HD lineup any time soon?
TNT HD? etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts