NY MPEG4 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

baltchop

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
I am new to this, so please pardon my ignorance.

I am getting HD for the first time at the end of December.

I was told I am getting the H10 and thst since I am in the #1 TV market, I already get CBS, Fox, NBC and ABC in HD and do not need h20.

Is that correct?

What channels can I get with the H20 that I won't be able to get with the H10?

Thanks.

You do not want a H10. The H20 and AT9 dish is available in NY on 12/28/05.

The new MPEG-2/4 HD system will add your local PBS HD programming, soon we will be getting 150 national HD channels, but only with the new MPEG-2/4 system.

Don't get started with the old system.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
... soon we will be getting 150 national HD channels, but only with the new MPEG-2/4 system.

-Robert

Robert, please define 'soon'.

I have a meeting with key executives at CES and I will have a more information. For now my best guess is that the bulk of the new HD national channels will be in Q3-4 '06. We will have a few added in Q2 and many more HD LIL, plus more LIL PBS nationwide.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:

I have the HR10-250. Can I get the AT9 dish on 12/28 or would I have to wait for the MPEG4 DVR? I'm doing a home renovation and I'd rather put up the dish I'll be using for the forseeable future rather than a soon to be outdated one and then have to put up the new one.

dturturro said:
I have the HR10-250. Can I get the AT9 dish on 12/28 or would I have to wait for the MPEG4 DVR? I'm doing a home renovation and I'd rather put up the dish I'll be using for the forseeable future rather than a soon to be outdated one and then have to put up the new one.

Yes you can get AT9 dish now , but you wont get the PBS HD when its available on Dec 28th

or you can get both the AT9 dish and the H20
or just get the At9 dish and just wait until the Mpeg4 Dvr is available :)

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
The new MPEG-2/4 HD system will add your local PBS HD programming, soon we will be getting 150 national HD channels, but only with the new MPEG-2/4 system.
Don't get started with the old system.
-Robert
Robert, do you have any idea if and when D* will contact us in the NY area about the upgrade? Today is the 19 of Dec and I have not heard a peep from them. Should I call them or sit tight and wait? As I stated in an earlier post I'm not in a big rush because we get HD locals via D*but if they are adding more HD channels like PBS, UPN, etc. then I would go for the upgrade as soon as its available.:hungry:
Thanks

We can expect PBS to start and more national HD channels by the end of Q3-4 '06.
The AT9 dish and H20 receivers are expected be begin on 12/28/05.
The best deal for DIRECTV customers is to buy the H20 from my company, take the $200 rebate and let DIRECTV upgrade your dish.
-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
We can expect PBS to start and more national HD channels by the end of Q3-4 '06.

I certainly hope they plan on adding at least 1 HD channel after Sunday Ticket is over in January because Q3-4 of next year is a long time to wait for anything new.

I see absolutely no benefit to upgrading. NONE. Until there is a reason to do so, I can't see me investing time and aggreviation to do it.

Well, I have finally decided to make the leap to HD without MPEG-4 for the time being and here is why:

I had held off till HD-TiVo came out and I was waiting for the price to drop a bit and any potential bugs ot be resolved. Then, because MPEG-4 would make it obsolete in a short time, I decided to wait even longer for the MPEG-4 DVR. But, now I'm tired of waiting.

The only thing MPEG-4 adds right now is locals for the 4 big networks. Since I am in the NY area, I could already get those HD channels in MPEG-2 (and I expect this to continue to be the case for some time). Sure, PBS will be added soon, but that's not enough to make a difference to me. I can get the locals with an OTA antenna, so locals isn't a big enough issue for me. (I installed the OTA antenna Monday and it works great!)

Let's face it, no matter what rumors are out there, it will likely be 12 - 24 mnths before we can realistically expect significant national HD programming additions.

The R15 is a dissapointment...a major step backwards. Not that I am unwilling to give it time, but right now my experience is that it is inferior to TiVo. I expect that the new HD DVR will have similar issues that will have to be resolved over time. Furthermore, I expect, prices will decline on those units from what they are initially sold at.

HR10-250 prices have dropped considerably. So, I concluded the best move for me is to jump in and buy one now and put off any move to MPEG-4 till there is a real benefit to me to upgrade.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)