NY Times: On Monday Microsoft will unveil their own tablet, will take on the iPad

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
MAYBE a day late and a dollar short.

DEFINITELY a Windows product.

And what does experience tell us, boys and girls?

;)

Let's see, ipad came out with a bang in 2010 so it has a 2 year head start and is best of breed in it's 3rd generation. Others have tried to do some catchup with no luck. So, how much of a market share would Microsoft need to acquire and how long would it take then to equal 50:50 the ipad sales? How much longer then would Microsoft have to #1 before it became the dominate tablet? On attrition alone, I don't think this is anything they can do. ipad Tablet is one of the most successful products to come along since the iphone!

Stop the presses... the online Circuit City sent me an email.. $49 tablet! Yes, you heard it here first, a $49 tablet, running some antiquated Android version, with a crappy screen, etc... yeah, Microsoft can come out with a tablet, it doesn't matter. This ship has sailed. Its a two tablet world: iPad, and $199 Kindle Fire. Just saying. :)

we will see but so far only Samsung and the Kindle Fire have been able to compete with the iPad. I will probably look at the NIcosoft offerings but at this point I am happy with my Fire---I prefer that form factor tot hat of other tablets.

Don Landis said:
Let's see, ipad came out with a bang in 2010 so it has a 2 year head start and is best of breed in it's 3rd generation. Others have tried to do some catchup with no luck. So, how much of a market share would Microsoft need to acquire and how long would it take then to equal 50:50 the ipad sales? How much longer then would Microsoft have to #1 before it became the dominate tablet? On attrition alone, I don't think this is anything they can do. ipad Tablet is one of the most successful products to come along since the iphone!

rockymtnhigh said:
Stop the presses... the online Circuit City sent me an email.. $49 tablet! Yes, you heard it here first, a $49 tablet, running some antiquated Android version, with a crappy screen, etc... yeah, Microsoft can come out with a tablet, it doesn't matter. This ship has sailed. Its a two tablet world: iPad, and $199 Kindle Fire. Just saying. :)

AMEN, Brothers!

Microsoft is running scared. IMHO, innovation has never been their strong suite. They got where they are today thru aggressive business tactics, beginning when Bill outfoxed IBM on DOS.

Don't forget about the Nook and Barnes & Noble... and the rumors are swirling that Microsoft and B&N are teaming up on this tablet with some kind of Xbox feature set. We'll see tomorrow.

Do not underestimate MS. remember Netscape. They are not innovators but understand business very well. If I was apple, I will not disregard them so easily. Others have done that before and found that it was a mistake.

Sean,

I don't think anyone will underestimate microsoft, but this time they are in my opinion much later getting into the game than they were with the internet in the 1990s.

honestly, it's probably the low priced segment of the market that matters worldwide. 500 dollar and 700 dollar devices simply don't compete in that space.

there are many more people in that market segment than the relatively wealthy, i.e. the developed nations.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, everybody forgot Windows XP Tablet Edition, and the fact that Windows Vista and Windows 7 run on tablet computers. Predated iPad by how many years? But of course Apple "invented" the tablet.

I'm in no way saying the early tablets running Windows were anything approaching "good" or even "usable" but the fact remains that Microsoft has been doing tablets a lot longer than Apple.

Sean,

I don't think anyone will underestimate microsoft, but this time they are in my opinion much later getting into the game than they were with the internet in the 1990s.

honestly, it's probably the low priced segment of the market that matters worldwide. 500 dollar and 700 dollar devices simply don't compete in that space.

there are many more people in that market segment than the relatively wealthy, i.e. the developed nations.

Meanwhile the iPad dominates the tablet market, despite all of the above...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mestevo,

there is no question that ipad is outselling android tablets at this point in time.

the question is how does apple crack the developing markets? they simply can't do it at their price points. and the google nexus 7 is much closer to being able to do just that.

Wow, everybody forgot Windows XP Tablet Edition, and the fact that Windows Vista and Windows 7 run on tablet computers. Predated iPad by how many years? But of course Apple "invented" the tablet.

I'm in no way saying the early tablets running Windows were anything approaching "good" or even "usable" but the fact remains that Microsoft has been doing tablets a lot longer than Apple.

And Edison did not invent the light bulb. He just made it practical.

And so it is.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)