Looking For A 802.11n Wifi Router Or Wireless Access Point

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jim1348

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
I am looking to improve my wifi "footprint" around my home. I already have an 802.11g modem/router from my internet service provider, but I am thinking that since I want to improve coverage around the farm, I might just as well get an 802.11g, preferably one with a removable antenna and higher power. What would people here recommend? I may want to add a gain antenna in the future, thus the desire to get one with a removable antenna.

Buying a more powerful router/AP probably will do little to increase the size of your usable WiFi footprint. Wifi requires two way communications so your PC or other WifI enabled device must also must have a strong enough radio to get its signal back to AP.

You need to look at setting up multiple remote APs linked to your router by Ethernet cables, or Ethernet over powerline adapters and only as a last resort wireless repeaters.

Having a good external antenna my give you some benefit as they may improve the strength of both transmitted and received signals.

Avoid the hype of 5Ghz N as the higher frequency signal has less ability to penetrate walls and floors so your usable range will be reduced.

900 mhz penetrates better but gives you limited speed. 2.4 ghz penetrates some with a bit more speed. More power does help on the AP end along with an antenna with higher gain such as a sector antenna or panel antenna which is more directional. It gives more gain than the traditional omni antennas that most people use.

If you are using a laptop then you could try installing a wireless card with an external antenna which may be an omni vs. the internal antenna that most laptops have for extended coverage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)