NYPD Blue and OTA

stucky_boss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
DFW
I am a big fan of NYPD blue. I love watching it. This last Tuesday after the show was over and during the “next episode” the hd feed was switched back to an sd feed and man what a difference DD 5.1 makes. I mean Pro Logic is cool but i never really have experimented with DD vs PL. I love HD and my Onkyo receiver. I am confused about one thing though. During the broadcast, when commercials come on my receiver continues to display DD. I haven’t really listened to see if the commercials sound that different than when they are broadcast during an SD program, but do they? I mean if my local affiliate is broad casting the commercial with DD sound, should it sound better? I know that just because it says DD, that doesn’t mean that it is coming out of all my speakers. Also does this mean that my local affiliate is doing something with the program and commercials before it is sent out in HD, so maybe I am not getting as good a feed as possible? Just some thoughts and questions-

Does anyone think Andy will turn in his old partner?

Nope, I don't think he will. He knows he can't prove it. Even if someone saw him go into the apartment and come back out. There is no way to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that it wasn't really a suicide.

I think the Dr. is going to buy the farm, though. Just hope she doesn't take "Junior" or the new female detective (there was some setup for this on the episode before last) with her.

stucky_boss said:
I am confused about one thing though. During the broadcast, when commercials come on my receiver continues to display DD.
If you have your Voom STB connected to your Onkyo via optical cable or the composite digital output then everything coming out of the STB, regardless of the source, will cause the DD light to come on because it is connected digitally.

not true in my case - I do have it connected via optical cable, but when I am watching SD stuff my reciever says pro logic II (that what i have set it to). When a DD source is supplied via HD programming it automatically switches to Dolby Digital. It is that way on my onkyo 601 reciever and my previous 2 sony recievers str-de895 and the str-de685 (both IMO crap - don't ever by a Sony reciever - again IMO).

Yeah I really liked your setup. I bet those Boston Acoustics speakers do sound good. Out of my own curiosity - I wonder if you can change your reciever to encode SD stuff with the Pro Logic format, and if your reciever will also switch automatically when it recieves a DD source. It may sound better on SD stuff? Just a thought though. The Pro Logic encoding was made to convert a stereo source into surround.

stucky_boss said:
not true in my case - I do have it connected via optical cable, but when I am watching SD stuff my reciever says pro logic II (that what i have set it to). When a DD source is supplied via HD programming it automatically switches to Dolby Digital. It is that way on my onkyo 601 reciever and my previous 2 sony recievers str-de895 and the str-de685 (both IMO crap - don't ever by a Sony reciever - again IMO).

I have a Pioneer reciever and the Voom reciever is connected via an optical cable. My setup behaves the same way, I guess the STB changes the signal type and the reciever senses this and changes its decoding scheme.

I have noticed, at least with my local ABC station, that the DD is not always on during commercials even if there is a DD show on. I guess it depends on the source that the station broadcasts.

Just a guess.

GabeNet said:
I have a Pioneer reciever and the Voom reciever is connected via an optical cable. My setup behaves the same way, I guess the STB changes the signal type and the reciever senses this and changes its decoding scheme.

I have noticed, at least with my local ABC station, that the DD is not always on during commercials even if there is a DD show on. I guess it depends on the source that the station broadcasts.

Just a guess.

2 things that confuse me about your post I was wondering if you could clarify:

1.You said your reciever acts the same way as wasch_24's which means that the reciever always shows DD 5.1 feed so how come the second part of your comment about DD not being on during commercials?

2. I don't understand how the Voom STB could be changing the source that it is sending out to the receiver just because it is hooked up using a optical cable. It just doesn't seem possible. I wonder if you can change settings on your receiver like I mentioned in my previous post? (I am in no way implying you don't have it setup correctly I am just puzzled) Is anyone else having this issue.

Okay that makes sense! But what was this in reference to?

wasch_24 said:
If you have your Voom STB connected to your Onkyo via optical cable or the composite digital output then everything coming out of the STB, regardless of the source, will cause the DD light to come on because it is connected digitally.

I guess it seems clear to me based on how my receiver looks. There are lights on one side that show Pro Logic, Digital, DTS, THX, and some others. Then there's a part on the other side of the display that shows which channels are being input. The input lights change but the DIGITAL is always on. I guess I had a brainfart, DD=Dolby Digital=5.1 not just DIGITAL. Sorry.

Sorry that I wasn't being very clear.

My point was that like wasch_24's receiver my Pioneer receiver switches between Proligic II and DD depending on the programming that is being displayed. When I said optical cable I should have said any digital input (optical or digital coax, they are pretty much the same). It does not switch between digital and analog, I have it connected only through optical and I guess the Voom STB changes the format from Prologic II to Dolby Digital depending on what the source signal from the station is encoded in. It would make sense that the majority of programming that is filmed in HD would use Dolby Digital for audio. Most commercials would not use DD (I guess due to budget or they just don't find it necessary) but rather stereo which the Pioneer receiver detects and runs it through its Prologic II processing.

That is just my take on it, I have no first hand knowledge of why something is produced in DD audio or not.

Quote:
Okay that makes sense! But what was this in reference to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasch_24

The above I do not necessarily believe is correct. If the connection between the STB and the receiver is made with a digital connection (optical or digital coaxial) than it makes sense for the "digital" light to be on constantly. Whether or not it displays "Dolby Digital", I believe, depends on how the audio has been encoded from the station or network.

Thats just my two cents worth, and again I am not claiming to be an expert, this just has been my experience.

EDIT:
**Just saw your above post so my point is null.**