Oblivion better on PS3

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Thought I would point this out considering Bethesda has been saying publically that working with the PS3 was so horrible and load times were bad as well.

From IGN http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html
Fans of the Elder Scrolls series have always loved the flexibility the franchise afforded them during their adventures, but when the eagerly awaited Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was released last March, even they were astounded by its depth. Players could literally choose their own adventure within the massive game, which offered over 200 hours of play. Characters could be customized in various ways, and it was easy for gamers to make powerful magic users, fighters, thieves or other classes as they attempted to close the gates of Oblivion. For PC and Xbox 360 gamers, it was a match made in RPG heaven. Fortunately for PS3 owners, Oblivion will soon be descending upon the system. We got the chance to play the latest build of the game today, and we came away with new impressions from the land of Cyrodiil.

Apart from the initial scale of Oblivion, which was simply huge, Bethesda Game Studios augmented the adventure with eight downloadable plug-in features. Items like the Horse Armor download seemed much more of a minor adjustment than a significant addition to the gameplay. Others like the Orrery or Mehrunes' Razor provided separate locations for players to battle through, collecting experience and valuable items. Unlike the PC and 360 versions, the PS3 edition will not feature all eight of the currently available plug-ins for the game. They may find their way to the PlayStation Store at some point in time in the future, but they will not be added into the version as a "PS3 Collector's Edition" or a special copy of Oblivion. Instead, the title will only include the recently released Knights of the Nine side quest, as you attempt to recover lost artifacts of the Divine Crusader and restore glory to the order of warriors.

<b>PS3 owners will get their own taste of Oblivion this March.</b>
PS3 owners will get their own taste of Oblivion this March.
Players of the PC or 360 version of the quest know that only those characters who don't have any infamy associated to their name can begin the pilgrimage to start the Knights of the Nine quest. However, there have been a few changes made for the PS3 version. Characters can now immediately set out on their pilgrimage to the Wayshrines of the Divines as soon as they exit the sewers at the start of the game (which served as a tutorial). This immediately lets you bypass having to track down the rumor about the attack on Anvil Chapel and start on your quest for righteousness.

LOAD TIMES AND CELL
The PS3 version of Oblivion isn't a simple port of the game either, although players who have picked up the 360 version will be very familiar with the control scheme. For one thing, the PS3 version has been optimized to take advantage of the Cell processor and hardware that the system offers. As a result, the game runs a lot faster than the 360 build. Entering dungeons or buildings results in a load of 3-5 seconds, compared to the 7-10 seconds or longer for the 360 version of the game. Similarly, the amount of framerate drops or hitches that cropped up in the wilderness as you accessed a new area on the 360 have been substantially reduced on the PS3 version. There is a plan to completely eradicate these issues as the game nears release, as well as fixing a number of bugs that were present in the other builds. Kiss the item duplication glitch goodbye.

THE GRAPHICS ARE BETTER
Visual textures are much sharper in the PS3 version of the game
Visual textures are much sharper in the PS3 version of the game.
The visual presentation of Oblivion has also been significantly enhanced. While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces. While there is still a fair amount of pop-in that occurs (which can't be helped due to the size of the world), the draw distance is farther than the 360 version. As a result, screens from the PS3 version should approach those from high end PCs running Oblivion, which is an impressive feat. We'll have more on Oblivion soon, but for now, check out these new screens.

Well, it seems smart they would take the time to customize the game a bit to the console hardware. Seems like common sense to me. Sounds to me a bit like they didn't do that with the 360 version and made a generic version for PC and 360.

Putting in the extra effort might start justifying the $60 tag on these games.

Well, it seems smart they would take the time to customize the game a bit to the console hardware. Seems like common sense to me. Sounds to me a bit like they didn't do that with the 360 version and made a generic version for PC and 360.

the problem is that most times they don't.

The question is how many will pony up for the PS3 version now that it has been available and played by everyone else on either the XBox360 or the PC.

I'm actually playing it again now for the Knights of the Nine quest. My current savegame file shows 160 hours. Zoinks. And I thought that 90 hours for Final Fantasy VII was ludicrous when I played it on the PC ten years ago....

And Shivering Isle will be a mega download as well coming soon. Microsoft better hurry up with those bigger add on drives.

HPman, I stand corrected on the load time issue. It sounds like they solved that challenge. We'll see how it plays out....

Bob, I bet if they would of spent a little more time debugging some of these 'problems' on the XBOX360 could of been repaired too. Most companies like EA make a game to one system and then port over to other systems and do nothing for any bugs. Runs okay on one system then runs 'with problems' on others. It is good to see Bethesday do the PS3 justice. I think I might just get this game.

It's a great game. Just be aware that the giant sucking sound will be your free time being consumed by this game....... And I STILL haven't opened up the ability to use various spells (Although Mehrune's Razor has replaced my Enchanted Jade Sword as my blade of choice)...

You could hear the "Noooooo!" from my wife when she saw me playing this one again..... She's starting to look at me like Aniston looked at Vaughn during "The Break Up" when he was playing those games constantly..... Hmm... Might need extra flowers next week.....

T2k we aren't comparing a PC against a PS3...thats just stupid...heck...PC would beat any nextgen consoles...you know why? you spend hundreds of dollars on a video card and hundreds on a processor...so that comparison was kinda useless.

Why are people still WHINING about the $60 price tag for new games?

I had an Atari & Intellivision back in teh early 80's ($199 & $279 system prices), and games were $39.99-$49.99.

Original Nintendo games were in that same price range.

SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2 and Xbox were all $49.99.

Do you think the game designers still get paid the same as they did in the early '90s? Are the games as "simple" as the early games were? What bout the kids working in the retail stores, they still make $4 an hour?? Shipping costs? etc etc...EVERYTHING costs more, its only inevitable to pay a bit more for games....

If you convert it into today's dollars, your 360 and PS3 as well as the games are even cheaper than some of the old systems, especially when you consider the advances in the technology.

sorry for the rant, but the give me more for my money arguement is so annoying to me.

Why are people still WHINING about the $60 price tag for new games?

I don't measure prices against what they were in the past. I measure them against what the product is worth to me. To me, $60 is too much for any video game. That's not whining. That's just the way it is. If I want a game that retails for that much, I want until I can find it used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)