Obnoxious Message from Tivo to Dish Subscribers

stone phillips420 said:
wayne get out from under your rock then tivo is the cadillac of dvr's, all other dvrs are junk echostar did make one nice dvr thanks to microsoft the 7100/7200 but the crediit for that one goes to microsoft
You must not have ever owned a ReplayTV box. They have been out as long as Tivo and I really feel the features and interface even to this day can stand up to any current DVR

I have used both a D* tivo, and a 622 which I use today. Even though I loved the season pass and wish list. I could never get used to it as far as the interface goes. The 622 is faster as far as guide speed goes. As well as having to go through the menu to put the Tivo in stand by was a pain. But I like the fact I can "upgrade" the HD.

mikew said:
I've never seen a VCR record to a HDD
I've never seen a VCR that can search for programs
I've never seen a VCR that can record by name
I've never seen a VCR that has a built in 14 day guide.

Still laughing...or do you need more?

How about the idea of recording a program to media for later viewing? Shouldn't someone sue Tivo? In my humble opinion they two are infringing on someone elses work.

stone phillips420 said:
wayne get out from under your rock then tivo is the cadillac of dvr's, all other dvrs are junk echostar did make one nice dvr thanks to microsoft the 7100/7200 but the crediit for that one goes to microsoft

Wow! What are you smoking and can I have some? :p

i believe stone still has some dish programming, and if i went through what he went through with dish i would be just as angry with dish as he is.. I think he still posts here because he is knowledgable and has an opinion, the beauty of the internet and this forum. Who know maybe some day he will come back to Dish for more and would like to keep in the loop with current programming and hardware. I have seen stone help some members questions, and like i said i think he has every right to be mad at dish for what they did to him. :) I think everyones opinion here is valuable as long as it doesnt become a total bashing, or 'pit" thread. :)

CHUCK24 said:
what did Dish do to Mr. Stone420?

I'll let him explain it in more detail but I can sum it up in a few words

"Dish Audit Group Sucks Rocks"

I've met Stone a few times (I've installed a couple dishes for him) and basically Dish has not treated him well (especially the audit group).

nothing really to explain it got soo bad with me i spent more time on the phone with the peons then watching their product, thats when i knew we had a serious issue and something had tobe done, so i became the biggest thorn in dishes side and will continue tobe until i get the apoligy and respect i deserve from them as a customer
ps im not holding my breath
long live tivo

dfergie said:
Will the Tivos accept the 16 mb cache Drives? for upgrades? Replays won't... just curious...
yes i think they do.
im pretty sure with my tivos i must have at least one 16mb. drive thanks to ic instantcake, but i could be wrong

This special message was found on their website only or was it sent to users of SA Tivos via a message?

So... If you're a Tivo sub and a Dish Sub... you're using a Tivo to legally re-record/re-compress dish's programming (after it has been converted to analog)? Why bug those loyal subscribers?

This has been debated but the way I see it...

Tivo didn't invent the DVR! They have innovated/enhanced the DVR...

The *media switch* they are suing over shouldn't give them a claim to sue anyone who makes a DVR (but if this litigation sticks, it will, so watch out all HTPC users, they'll be coming to get us too).

Dish DVRs have always written the MPEG2 (and now MPEG4) stream which comes from the sattelite to the HDD, no A->D encoding takes place there. It's a completly different way of recording and there are many other differences.

Really the only claims Tivo should have to sue other compaines would be for ripping off things like: Name Based Recording/Season Passes/Whish Lists/Suggestions and maybe sharing of shows over network/multiple rooms... clearly those features influenced other dvrs (including dish's).

NBR was added to dish DVRs and they clearly got the idea from Tivo (i'm sure they didn't rip it off in code/execution though, which would make Tivo's claim strong/valid). Though for the multiple TV *sharing* you have to hand it to Dish for not directly ripping the execution of that. The 622 is super innovative in that area, we essentially have 2 receivers in one which allow you to instantly watch a DVR'd show on either TV and avoid the delay from network buffering.

I've owned a few Tivos for a few years and for a while I did the dish/tivo thing... while I loved the *hack-ability* of a Tivo (capacity, telnet/console, and pre-TTG), the ability to share shows between two TVs and the HME features... it had a few serious flaws:

SD only (the allready over-compressed dish stuff looked horrible playing back on a nice HDTV), the show sharing was way too slow (wait for transfer/buffer to the second tivo and then if the network stalled...) the menus were slow (but easy to use) and the audio output was subpar...

Since I've had my 622 I have not missed my Tivos (or the monthly fees for GUIDE DATA!) and the flaws of Tivo have been solved (and some quite well) but I lost HME... big whoop!

What I don't get is why they charge $16.95 a month for their service. What makes their service worth that much??

Dvr question

Need HD receiver advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts