Obsolete DishTV equipment?

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
We have VIP211K and a VIP222K receivers. Does anyone know the date that these will stop working? Will Dish replace these free-of-charge and without a new contract if they stop working because they either die or Dish turns them off? Sorry if the answer is somewhere else on this forum.

We have VIP211K and a VIP222K receivers. Does anyone know the date that these will stop working?
These are MPEG4 just like the first two Hoppers, so until those are out of the picture I don’t see the VIP lineup going anytime soon.

Will Dish replace these free-of-charge and without a new contract if they stop working because they either die or Dish turns them off? Sorry if the answer is somewhere else on this forum.
This has usually been the case with Dish discontinuing equipment in the past. At first they will try to have people pay upgrade fees, then they will offer the upgrade for free when getting closer to the shutoff date. Once the shutoff is imminent, then it’s time to send out letters and nowadays apparently even send out technicians unannounced to your home free of charge.

These are MPEG4 just like the first two Hoppers, so until those are out of the picture I don’t see the VIP lineup going anytime soon.

This has usually been the case with Dish discontinuing equipment in the past. At first they will try to have people pay upgrade fees, then they will offer the upgrade for free when getting closer to the shutoff date. Once the shutoff is imminent, then it’s time to send out letters and nowadays apparently even send out technicians unannounced to your home free of charge.
They've done that for years- went around behind my back to my cx's saddling them with "superdishes".

Reactions: charlesrshell
They've done that for years- went around behind my back to my cx's saddling them with "superdishes".
I’m guessing they were doing that because of the locals situation back then, was it because they would call the 1-800 and complain or did they actually go out unannounced to install them?

Last edited:
They aren't in production anymore and haven't been for years now. However we still have a lot in inventory so can still replace them. Once that runs out though you'll be out of luck. I'm not sure how long until that happens but my guess would be sometime in the next 2-3 years.

Hopoer1s are not in production but hopper 2 and 3 are still being remanufactured. As far as vip there's lots of 722 and 211 still out there and I believe there's still a small amount of 222 and 612 in some local office warehouses but I do not think there's any 222 or 612 left in national warehouses. But 222s can be replaced with 722s with dvr disabled and I can't remember if they let us replace 612s with 722s or not.

Hopoer1s are not in production but hopper 2 and 3 are still being remanufactured. As far as vip there's lots of 722 and 211 still out there and I believe there's still a small amount of 222 and 612 in some local office warehouses but I do not think there's any 222 or 612 left in national warehouses. But 222s can be replaced with 722s with dvr disabled and I can't remember if they let us replace 612s with 722s or not.
Remanutactured = Refurb, and not well done. Lst summer it took three Hopper 3s to see my EHDs.

• Sad
Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
I had a replacement last week for a customer with a 612...blew my mind that one was available. This cust didn't want an upgrade because a family member was visually impaired, and had memorized the remote and how to go thru various screens..

Thank you for the replies. I think we're ok unless one of the receivers dies.
I have an owned vip211k. At this point, no issues and I will continue to stay with Dish for the time being. I downgraded to the Flex Pack/News. Having Locals/Supers, I stayed with Dish for the $77 a month. Down the road, who knows? I do not plan to replace the vip 211k though.

Meaning they are going to start production on a Hopper 4 ! Right? :biggrin
I remember mocking the person here who accurately predicted the H3 would have 16 tuners.

I'm uncertain why Dish would develop anything beyond that. Their future boxes will likely be tuned down from the H3, tech wise.

I’m guessing they were doing that because of the locals situation back then, was it because they would call the 1-800 and complain or did they actually go out unannounced to install them?
Unannounced to me, and didn't give me opportunity to (reimbursed) do any. I'd go on a service call and they'd have a different dish than I had set them up with. So they did it themselves or used some contractor. These were cx's in a full-servicing relationship with ME. Now they've got a much larger dish and quality of work that was out of my control. Locals had been addressed by me at the time of inception and offair reception provided for. There were none of them calling DiSH to complain about not getting locals. DiSH just was on a push to maximize distribution of charged-for sat locals, likely to make up for all the distant nets they had been forced to deactivate.

I remember mocking the person here who accurately predicted the H3 would have 16 tuners.

I'm uncertain why Dish would develop anything beyond that. Their future boxes will likely be tuned down from the H3, tech wise.
IF they wanted to put the plus box inside of the Hopper 4 and give you the entire experience of integration with the satellite channels and the apps you want to add to it then it would make sense to create a new model. They probably won't do that since the last time they created the Hopper 3 was in 2016. But we can dream. :onthego

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts