Obtaining AU9 dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digital Logic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Norwalk, CA
I need to get my hands on another AU9 dish and I dont necessarily want to pay the $100 + s/h for it. Is there anyone in the LA area that sells these cheaper? I've checked out Craigslist but im not sure if that's the way to go.

I need to get my hands on another AU9 dish and I dont necessarily want to pay the $100 + s/h for it. Is there anyone in the LA area that sells these cheaper? I've checked out Craigslist but im not sure if that's the way to go.

Ask the next D* installer you happen to see, never know. ;)

Is there truly no way to purchase a dish, stand alone?

I am making the switch to HD (finally) and DirecTV offered to send me a new reciever and dish for free... All I have to do is wait 35 days... That's right, on Aug 25th, they told me that I could have it all on Oct 1st...

The system wouldn't let them just ship it to me... It's nuts. I'm moving, and I don't even need an installation.
Sorry for the rant.

Bottom line is that you can buy one at Circuit City (on-line) but not at the store. over $100 (after shipping/taxes) but I have tried EVERY installer in the city of chicago... 91% of which don't exist when the number is called and the other 9% of which are 866 numbers that just pump you into DTV's phone system. nightmarish...

If anyone comes up with a better way, let me know.

There should be a DTV store, retail, where you can just walk in and buy a dish. I truly don't understand why that doesn't exist. :)

Is there truly no way to purchase a dish, stand alone?

I am making the switch to HD (finally) and DirecTV offered to send me a new reciever and dish for free... All I have to do is wait 35 days... That's right, on Aug 25th, they told me that I could have it all on Oct 1st...

The system wouldn't let them just ship it to me... It's nuts. I'm moving, and I don't even need an installation.
Sorry for the rant.

Bottom line is that you can buy one at Circuit City (on-line) but not at the store. over $100 (after shipping/taxes) but I have tried EVERY installer in the city of chicago... 91% of which don't exist when the number is called and the other 9% of which are 866 numbers that just pump you into DTV's phone system. nightmarish...

If anyone comes up with a better way, let me know.

There should be a DTV store, retail, where you can just walk in and buy a dish. I truly don't understand why that doesn't exist. :)

Of course there is, you can get them from the site sponsors without any problem.
They will still run you around $ 100 though.
Why not call D* back and tell them you can't wait that long and see if there's anything sooner.... strange as it may sound, you may get a whole different (earlier) date calling the second time.

Jimbo

How much do you think you should have to pay for the dish? Like mentioned above, if you really want to spend the money on the dish yourself, the go through one of the site sponsors. Don't be surprised if, when you call D* to activate your new receivers, that they insist on sending out an installer anyway. Their computer won't let them do it any other way.

As to your wait time, you may want to consider this. This is the busiest time of year for DirecTV installers since it is their NFL Sunday Ticket Promotion. Most installers this time of year are working 6 day weeks, and are overbooked every day to try and get as many people installed as possible.

when i ordered my HD reciever thru the dtv site, it didn't add the dish. the installer called me the morning he came to install to ask if he could come by earlier, as he thought he was just installing the reciever. i told him that i needed a new dish because all i had was the 18" round one. so when he arrived later in the day, he brought along the au9 and set it up while i hooked up my hd reciever and it was free.

and yes, i do need another au9 even though i have one already. heheh... thanks for the suggestions guys.

When I got my slimline, I checked ebay for sellers by milage, within 50 or 100 miles. I ended up getting one 30 miles away who sold me a slimine complete for $40, just had to drive 30 miles to pick it up.

If you want to avoid the big shipping charges, local is the only option. It has to cost $20-$40 to ship one of those dishes these days, even for just ground.

while we're on the subject of ebay, I've seen an adapter for old masts for the new dish (Item number: 150290255955). Has anyone used one of these?

while we're on the subject of ebay, I've seen an adapter for old masts for the new dish (Item number: 150290255955). Has anyone used one of these?

The adapter works but be extra careful & try to locate some support struts for extra strength (they are $20 at some of our sponsors or you could flag down a DTV truck & toss him a $10). My original 5lnb (AT9), which I believe is heavier then the slimline, bent the J mount beyond useless. I did temporally bend it right back for a few nights but had to switch to the correct 2" mount (which should also have the struts). I'm guessing you would rather not remove the old J-mount plates & start over but it is the best long term way to install a slimline.

One of thew guy's in our forum has a buddy that has them, look for Mike ....
To answer your question, YES they work, I have one I use for my camping set up.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.