Oct 13-14 SWiM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sddtvtech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
in a van down by the river
Just curious to see if any other techs got this memo..

starting immediately, use 4x8 switches instead of a 6x8 switch

(stupid if you ask me bc 4x8 is a powered switch)

starting Oct 13-14, SWiM switches will be installed and no more 6x8 or 4x8s.

Read it again

BLAST FACTS
Multi-Switch Direction

We have increased the supply of 4x8 multi-switches. Therefore, effective immediately, pending Work Orders will once again include the 4x8 multi switch. (FOSS is no longer replacing 4x8s with 6x8 switches.)

The bottom line: perform the work as directed by the Work Order Activity.

DIRECTV will be implementing the Installation Simplification initiative this fall to help streamline multi-switch usage. Stay tuned for further Blast Facts direction regarding multi-switches and Installation Simplification.

Please see http://www.satelliteguys.us/installer-zone/188886-oct-13-14-swim-new-post.html in the installers forum for more discussions on this. :)

I dont have permission to access. :rolleyes:

sddtvtech, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Last edited:
Bottom line, i hate using 4x8 switches. not every place including Mobile homes have access to a Power outlet for switches.
you would never use a 4x8 in your area anyway, being that your locals come from 99/103 which would mean every job gets a ka/ku dish and/or a 6x8.;)

you would never use a 4x8 in your area anyway, being that your locals come from 99/103 which would mean every job gets a ka/ku dish and/or a 6x8.;)

well i know that, but why are we told to use them??? i wouldnt be posting this if they hadnt handed this paper out to us.

i still got 6x8s and SWiM switches and by Oct 14th, i can go all SWiM.

I could be wrong, but I thought that the whole idea was the WB68 handled different frequencies than the other ones, thus they went to them in the first place.

I could be wrong, but I thought that the whole idea was the WB68 handled different frequencies than the other ones, thus they went to them in the first place.
Can you use the 4x8's on a Slimline set up and expect it to work correctly ?

Can you use the 4x8's on a Slimline set up and expect it to work correctly ?

Absolutely NOT - but they CAN still use 4x8's on PIII ovals, round & international dishes that are NOT being combined with a slimline.

I suspect the memo was NOT directed at any slimline installs - particularly in MPEG4 only local markets.

Exactly what i told my Trainer, you cant use 4x8 unless you got 18 inch dish or Triple sat.

what a chaos its gonna create for us for the techs that have no clue in my area. I still got my stack of 6x8s im still gonna use regardless til we're told to use ALL SWiM.

well i know that, but why are we told to use them??? i wouldnt be posting this if they hadnt handed this paper out to us.

i still got 6x8s and SWiM switches and by Oct 14th, i can go all SWiM.

Our local shop took all 4x4 (thankfully, since they're crap and likely to go out in 6 months or so anyways) and 4x8's off our trucks. 2 weeks later the warehouse said DTV didn't realize there were so many [4x8's] out in the field and had WAY to many on hand again, so now they're putting 2 each back on our trucks so they can get rid of them. Luckily they haven't appeared in my past two weeks equipment pickups. Could very well be because I'm on the service team. Honestly, I wouldn't put in a 4x8 anyways. Every time I run across them they're always ridiculously hot.

well they are a required powered switch... so finding a source of a plug in outside is not exactly there as mobile homes, its nearly impossible unless you go INSIDE the house where a plug is available and not tying up heat wraps that needs to be plugged in the winter time.

since that note, i havent had or gotten any 4x8s and i did an install yesterday and my WO said 6x8 switch and didnt mention using a 4x8.. *thank god*

Honestly, I wouldn't put in a 4x8 anyways. Every time I run across them they're always ridiculously hot.

They may run on the warm side, but they actually worked better for me than the older 6x8's, particularly with our 2nd 18 dish f/locals & with D-Tivo's. I had several customers that kept getting SFS quite a bit on locals, especially if I had to use existing coax cable that might not have been the best. Once I changed the 6x8 to a 4x8 powered, it quit happening.

Of course now that the 2nd dishes are going bye-bye, it's a moot point now. The newer WB68's & MPEG4 receivers don't seem to have these problems.

i pretty much started the SWiM from here on out starting today. I dont wanna go back to service calls so my NEW installs are being SWiM'd as this was okay with my Field Supervisor. I find it easier to use for a NEW house with cables in ONE location rather than having to use a 2nd line DVR and put holes in the wall or floor where customers dont like. I dont blame them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)