Odd 4k channel 540 issue.

DERG

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Hi everyone. I've been working to resolve an issue I have with my H3 with a Dish tech. The tech says he has not found any complaints such as mine & I thought I'd ask our forum members if they had a similar issue.

During last summer's Olympics Dish offered free 4k on a dedicated channel but I can't recall the number. I don't believe it was 540 as being used for Planet Earth II. Anyway I had no problems viewing any of this in 4k with my one year old Samsung 55". The set is fully compatible with HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2.

On the night of the 1st Planet Earth II broadcast ch 540 suddenly had sound but no picture. It was pure black. An H3 reset corrected that issue. I caught the rebroadcast at midnight EST & recorded it without issues. The next day I viewed the entire recording without a glitch. Later that day when I tried to re-watch that same recording there was no sound & the black picture again. Tuning to ch 540 had that same sound / black picture problem as the previous night. Reset the H3 fixed that again.

This has happened several times including right now. I've never had any issues like this with any channel before. I know a re-set will fix the issue but wondered if others experienced this as well?

Hello Derg. The 4K content is pretty amazing. They did an awesome job.

Most of our customer have had no issues with the viewing or playback. A few had issues have been reported with sound due to surround sound systems and a pass thru issue that were mostly resolved with their sound system settings. Also a few had issues with 4k playback with a 4k Joey. Both issues our tech opps dept is reviewing.

Tampa8 suggestion is good. Try that and see if that resolves the issue. Also check that your smart TV is softwear is up to date going thru you TV menu to check.

Have you rented any 4k content? Have you had similar issues?

Hello Derg. The 4K content is pretty amazing. They did an awesome job.

Most of our customer have had no issues with the viewing or playback. A few had issues have been reported with sound due to surround sound systems and a pass thru issue that were mostly resolved with their sound system settings. Also a few had issues with 4k playback with a 4k Joey. Both issues our tech opps dept is reviewing.

Tampa8 suggestion is good. Try that and see if that resolves the issue. Also check that your smart TV is softwear is up to date going thru you TV menu to check.

Have you rented any 4k content? Have you had similar issues?

Hi Mark, thanks for responding. It's odd that my reporting to Dish Case manager Michael H is not on file. I have spoken to him several times about this over the last month since the BBC began this broadcast. And, I have made inquires on this site's Planet Earth II thread about this as well.

As I stated last summer's tape delays of the Olympics in 4k were perfect. No such issues. I have rented one 4k movie that had no issues. Only channel 540 has had this issue. Until this problem with ch 540 I used new HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 compliant cable. Thinking the cable might be the issue I recently purchased new cables that are fully compliant with HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 & are 18Gbps, 28AWG rated. The signal strength on 61.5 reads from 48-53. My H3 says it's using v345 software which has not helped. I've unplugged / inplugged in the HDMI cable with no effect.

Short of changing my TV or the H3, what else can be done? :imconfused

Hi Mark, thanks for responding. It's odd that my reporting to Dish Case manager Michael H is not on file. I have spoken to him several times about this over the last month since the BBC began this broadcast. And, I have made inquires on this site's Planet Earth II thread about this as well.

As I stated last summer's tape delays of the Olympics in 4k were perfect. No such issues. I have rented one 4k movie that had no issues. Only channel 540 has had this issue. Until this problem with ch 540 I used new HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 compliant cable. Thinking the cable might be the issue I recently purchased new cables that are fully compliant with HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 & are 18Gbps, 28AWG rated. The signal strength on 61.5 reads from 48-53. My H3 says it's using v345 software which has not helped. I've unplugged / inplugged in the HDMI cable with no effect.

Short of changing my TV or the H3, what else can be done? :imconfused
Nothing more can really be done. I'm sorry. Our tech opps dept reviews the issues as they're reported and address them. Please private message me with your receiver number and firmwear of the Hopper and Joey of the to be sure I have the information listed on the report.

Reactions: KAB
Nothing more can really be done. I'm sorry. Our tech opps dept reviews the issues as they're reported and address them. Please private message me with your receiver number and firmwear of the Hopper and Joey of the to be sure I have the information listed on the report.

Thanks Mark, I will. BTW, I don't have a Joey just an H3.
Over the weekend I had the same issue 3x. The first was early Saturday before Planet Earth II was broadcast. The second & third times I was shocked to see H3 actually fixed itself. That's a first!

Hi everyone. I've been working to resolve an issue I have with my H3 with a Dish tech. The tech says he has not found any complaints such as mine & I thought I'd ask our forum members if they had a similar issue.

During last summer's Olympics Dish offered free 4k on a dedicated channel but I can't recall the number. I don't believe it was 540 as being used for Planet Earth II. Anyway I had no problems viewing any of this in 4k with my one year old Samsung 55". The set is fully compatible with HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2.

On the night of the 1st Planet Earth II broadcast ch 540 suddenly had sound but no picture. It was pure black. An H3 reset corrected that issue. I caught the rebroadcast at midnight EST & recorded it without issues. The next day I viewed the entire recording without a glitch. Later that day when I tried to re-watch that same recording there was no sound & the black picture again. Tuning to ch 540 had that same sound / black picture problem as the previous night. Reset the H3 fixed that again.

This has happened several times including right now. I've never had any issues like this with any channel before. I know a re-set will fix the issue but wondered if others experienced this as well?
I had the black screen when I tried playback once or twice on my H3, but I just hit skip forward once (or more maybe, I can't be sure) and the show played fine after that.

I also have the same sound but black screen issue with the recorded BBC shows.
I did a red button reset and they are now playing correctly.
Will post back if anything changes.

Reactions: DERG
Dish sent a tech out to check the sat dish to make sure it was aimed correctly. The guy said it was & left. Since then I've had 3 of these sound with dark screen. Two self reset & the other was just 10 minutes before last Saturday's broadcast of PE2.

My H3 is to be replaced. New one has been ordered & should be here mid-week. I hope this solves the issue.

Let us know when the new one does the same thing. :biggrin

Before channel 540 was cancelled it cutout several times. According to Dish, I'm the only one have this issue which I find hard to believe. When 540 was up I would check during the week several times to see if the sound but black picture reoccurred, & occasionally it did. Sometime it would correct itself, other times only a reset would fix it. Any time the issue occurred the Dish banner always worked. My Samsung always ID the channel as UHD 3840x2160. As I have recorded all the 4k versions of Planet Earth II & try to watch them from time to time & sometimes get nothing during playback. Black screen & no sound. Reset always fixes this.

Before channel 540 was cancelled it cutout several times. According to Dish, I'm the only one have this issue which I find hard to believe. When 540 was up I would check during the week several times to see if the sound but black picture reoccurred, & occasionally it did. Sometime it would correct itself, other times only a reset would fix it. Any time the issue occurred the Dish banner always worked. My Samsung always ID the channel as UHD 3840x2160. As I have recorded all the 4k versions of Planet Earth II & try to watch them from time to time & sometimes get nothing during playback. Black screen & no sound. Reset always fixes this.

I'm afraid that you were not the only one to have this experience, as you probably assumed when the second receiver did the same thing. :)

I'm afraid that you were not the only one to have this experience, as you probably assumed when the second receiver did the same thing. :)
It was worth a try. Seems like only a few experienced this so why didn't everyone have this issue?

I have had the same issue with my H3, and basically gave up trying to watch 4k on Dish. I have a new LG OLED 4k tv, new Pioneer 4k receiver, and 4k h3 w/sling. I assumed the problem was because my equipment is 30' away in a cabinet, and HDMI is iffy at this distance in 4k. From what I have learned there is so much info being stuffed down an HDMI cable with 4k, hdr, atmos etc. the HDMI interface is quickly becoming untenable for use.

I was told by a respected HDMI cable manufacturer that 25' is about all you can get out of HDMI with current technology, and that custom projector installs are being done with rather expensive hdmi to cat 6 converter amplifiers.

I reported this problem to dish, and the tech sold me a $60 30' hdmi cable that has helped some, but still won't get Dishes 4k channel. My screen also goes to black, the receiver becomes completely unresponsive to the remote or front panel, and stays that way until I do a hard reboot.

I have had the same issue with my H3, and basically gave up trying to watch 4k on Dish. I have a new LG OLED 4k tv, new Pioneer 4k receiver, and 4k h3 w/sling. I assumed the problem was because my equipment is 30' away in a cabinet, and HDMI is iffy at this distance in 4k. From what I have learned there is so much info being stuffed down an HDMI cable with 4k, hdr, atmos etc. the HDMI interface is quickly becoming untenable for use.

I was told by a respected HDMI cable manufacturer that 25' is about all you can get out of HDMI with current technology, and that custom projector installs are being done with rather expensive hdmi to cat 6 converter amplifiers.

I reported this problem to dish, and the tech sold me a $60 30' hdmi cable that has helped some, but still won't get Dishes 4k channel. My screen also goes to black, the receiver becomes completely unresponsive to the remote or front panel, and stays that way until I do a hard reboot.
and what 4K channel are you talking about?

I don't remember the number, and just scanning the channels I don't see one now. It was a science channel in the 500's. In the post above they referred to Planet Earth at 540. That is probably the channel I tried.It was several weeks back, and after a week or so I stopped trying and haven't looked back. doesn't take too many times banging your head against the wall to learn to stop.

Here's my Dish service rep most recent reply to this issue;

"I apologize for the delay in answering. I was waiting to see if any additional situations popped up similar to yours. Unfortunately, there’s nothing else that can really be done considering what we have already done. We had engineering look into it and they could not duplicate it. My opinion is that it’s a very low volume issue that has to do with software communication between our system and a certain model(s) of TV. I’m sure more will come to light as time goes on. That’s usually how it works with newer technology launches like 4k."

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)