Odd call claiming to be from Dish network

Brodieb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Maryville, MO
I have been getting calls from someone who comes up on my caller ID as "Skype Caller" and they claim to be from dish network. I am assuming this is a scam since Dish has always shown up as Dish on previous calls. Anyone else getting these? I have had 3 or 4 in the last few days. The number has a 661 area code.

I have been getting calls from someone who comes up on my caller ID as "Skype Caller" and they claim to be from dish network. I am assuming this is a scam since Dish has always shown up as Dish on previous calls. Anyone else getting these? I have had 3 or 4 in the last few days. The number has a 661 area code.

Lots of phishing robo calls the past year primarily from CA and NY at our house. Have to purge my phones 30 call block list every month and start all over.

I can't think of one instances why anyone that works for DISH would be using Skype to make calls. If you would like to send me the whole number I will be happy to forward the information so we can have this looked into.

Brodieb, virtually no U.S. company is going to call you using Skype. (VOIP perhaps) Charlie may be cheap,but even he has limits.

Probably someone from Pakistan trying to pull a scam, or a telemarketer trying to sell you Dish.

From what I hear Dish still has a problem with people from Pakistan being able to access CSG which is their customer billing system.

They give companies such as HBO access to their billing system so they can telemarket and sell HBO subscriptions.
The problem is that HBO, then outsources to Pakistan, and those people are smart and realize they can use their access to scam people.

I can't think of one instances why anyone that works for DISH would be using Skype to make calls. If you would like to send me the whole number I will be happy to forward the information so we can have this looked into.

I sent you the number in a private message.

anyone can create whatever caller id and number if they want, with the right phone system. one time someone called me with my name and number coming up on my caller id...... freaked me out......

Stating the hopefully obvious. Don't talk to an outbound caller claiming to be Dish. Tell them you will call Dish back. If they are legit (and this one is not), they will leave notes on the account for the next agent. The only legit calls I can think of from Dish would be our Outbound STB Health folks, when you are internet connected, and they notice your receiver is having signal strength issues. They will leave notes on the account. Also, the audit folks that have been mentioned here. And yes, they will leave notes on the account too, and if you call back, the agent can give you the toll free number for that group.

So, if you get a call from Dish, tell them you will call Dish yourself. If legit, they will leave notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts