Odd conflict with EHD on Dish 622 receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TomC83

Original poster
Aug 1, 2020
Rural Indiana
Hello... a question for everyone.

Recently I discovered my 622 isn't transferring recordings to the attached EHD properly. This issue has been going on for months but I didn't realize it until this week, I don't access my EHD very often obviously.

I transfer my recordings to the EHD through the usual way; navigate through the menu protocol then choose the recordings I want to move. I get the usual prompts asking if I want to transfer and then get the progress bar with an estimated time frame, if it's a few minutes I leave the bar be.. if it's several HD recordings and predicts an hour or so I will hit the "watch live TV" button. In both scenarios, sooner or later, I get the popup eventually saying my programs were successfully transferred.

For months I just assumed the transfers were, in fact, successful, the way they had always been for over a year before that. But this past weekend when I went to finally watch a series/marathon I had saved to disk, to free up space on the main box a couple months ago, it wasn't there. Neither were a dozen or more other things that should have also been, that I've moved in recent months.

The last time something successfully saved to the EHD was evidently in March, according to descriptions date stamps, but it's possible the process was still not working correctly then either because I should have had 10 episodes of that series transferred all at the same time and only the 1 ep is there, though for some reason I may have moved that single episode earlier than the rest (unsure on this part)

Over the past few days I went through the transfer process again with the exact purpose to pay close attention and make sure I didn't miss a message or error code or something back when I was unaware of the error. I tried a variety of recordings in various time lengths and quality (SD / HD) I tried moving recordings both single and in batches. In all my tests the receiver behaved as it would if it were proceeding correctly. When the transfer finished and the popup told me the operation was successful, I could see the selected recordings were gone from the main DVR page, but as soon as I hit the My Media option and opened the EHD it was obvious none of the new recordings had transferred, I have to assume they were deleted instead.

I looked around on here and didn't see an issue exactly the same as this (I easily could have missed it though there is a lot of ground to cover on a busy forum like this) so I then tried to trouble shoot on my own with the usual things you would do... like a soft reset for the receiver both with and without the EHD connected, detaching and reattaching the EHD more than once, I switched out both the USB cable and the power cord for different/new lines, I removed some older recordings I no longer needed from the EHD in case it was a space issue despite the drive not reading as being full in the transfer screens, nothing worked... I'm stumped

Anyone hear of this happening before?

Added info: My receiver is a new old stock ViP622 that I bought on eBay in 2020 from a warehouse reseller (not directly connected to Dish, just someone that buys/resells warehouse stock) so it's only been in use a little over 2 years. My EHD is a corded 2tb Buffalo Drive. I have had the two working together fine since I first installed the receiver, no (known) compatibility issues prior to this.

Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading

As a previous 622 owner, I had used the EHD to store some old HD movies and programs. If you are comfortable around computers, it is possible to look at the files on the EHD using Linux which would give you an idea if the Events were really on the EHD based on the file’s date and time. You should also be able to examine the drive for errors.

You mention your EHD is made by Buffalo. Do you know if it’s a RAID enclosure? Dish recommends a basic USB external hard drive, but I believe there are SatelliteGuys here who have used RAID Enclosures for years without issue.

Reactions: TomC83
I vaguely remember people running into an upper limit to the number of programs they can view on the EHD. Foxbat's test is a good one. If this is the issue, then the programs are there but invisible from the receiver.

Reactions: TomC83 and Foxbat
Foxbat and The Krell, Thanks!

I will definitely give that a try tonight, I have a Linux install on a flash drive I've used in the past to look into my defunct Hopper Duo.

The drive is in a non RAID enclosure, but I didn't know about those specs, thanks for that too.

Funny thing is when you both mentioned this, it clicked in my head something I read about years ago on here when I was researching a different problem on the Duo receiver. I remembered a discussion where members were talking about replacing the main hard drive in older receivers to bring a dead box back to life, and some wondered, if you could find a compatible drive in that range, if you could max out the storage and put a 1tb in it.

More knowledgeable users had talked about the receivers having limits reading and formatting past the hard encoded capacity that it's set for, so when it formatted it could only read/configure the drive to the level of the then highest capacity for that receiver family... as in how a 622 could theoretically be pimped out to reach a 722's capacity. However, all the extra space on a 1tb drive would go to nothing because it would only format it to the 722 level.

This didn't come to mind that the EHD might do something in a similar vein, it read as having just under a 2tb free space when I first plugged it in so I wrongly assumed it was all good to truly be a usable 2tb's. It currently reads around 656gb left and I have to imagine that I have transferred 500 or more gigs since March, with what I deleted from it in testing it makes sense based on gigs that it maxed out the readable/visible content around 1tb.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)