Oddball Question on NFL Sunday Ticket and SuperFan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Piratefan98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
I am in an oddball situation, and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how you think this situation might work .....

I am an NFL Sunday Ticket suscriber. That's all I get from DirecTV (I was grandfathered in when C-band ST was discontinued by the NFL, so I didn't have to sign up for other base programming packages). I use my 3-lnb Dish and receiver for the 17 weeks of NFL season, and that's all. Otherwise, I'm a Comcast cable subscriber.

Anyway .... I was thinking that I might like to upgrade to the Superfan version of ST this year (if DirecTV will let me do "that" without a programming package). Assuming it's allowed, I know I need to get an HD receiver ($99 @ Circuit City), and I think there is also a $4.99/month equipment lease fee for the receiver. AND, it appears DirecTV charges a $9.99/month HD access fee. I'm hoping to be able to avoid that charge, since the only tv I'll be watching will be from 1-7pm, on 17 Sundays per year.

Bottom line .... any thoughts on whether they might waive that 9.99/mo fee (at least for the 8 non-NFL months)? And, any thoughts whether they'll even allow a Superfan upgrade for someone like me who doesn't subscribe to any programming?

Sorry to be so long-winded,

Jeff

I don't see the 9.99 fee being waived becaseu they have in fine print at the bottom that the fee is required for Superfan. Good luck though. It never hurts to call and try.

First off, consider yourself lucky to be grandfathered like this.

IMO, I would think changing to add SF would change your programming and then D* would say "just that" you changed your programming you no longer are grandfathered, even though they go hand in hand.

This is what I would expect D* to do, but you'll never know till you call them and ask.

IF they agree, have them note the conversation on your account, so thwey don't come back later and say you changed and now need a reg. sub.
Also get it in writting IF possible.

Good luck

Jimbo

Well, after considerable dialogue, I cancelled my Sunday Ticket. This will be the first time in 10 years that I haven't had it (used to be a C-band subscriber on the big dish, then transferred to DTV).

Anyway, they wouldn't let me upgrade to HD ST without also subscribing to a programming package, which I have no interest in. So, if I stayed without adding a package, I'd have to keep my overly-compressed SD version of Sunday Ticket. No thanks.

Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.