Office 2007 Anyone using it yet?

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Seems I'm being forced into upgrading at least one of my computers to this new version because several of my clients are giving me *.xlsx files and *.docx files that I can't open in my older version of Office. For those who have made the switch, I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find in the MS FAQ.

If I load up an older file like a *.doc or *.xls created with Office 2000, will it allow me to save it out as an older file or must I save now as a 2007 version, never again to be viewed by the older software? If I don't save but just view it and then close but do not save, will it update that file to 2007 anyway?

This is a serious conundrum for me since so many will need to view these files who also haven't up graded.

MY current idea is to buy an upgrade for one computer and then only use that machine to view and work in that file format. Will this work?

I've been using it since it came out.

You work on your old files in [compatibility mode] and they stay in that same format.

The software is pretty good to me. You just have to get used to where they moved some of the options to.

Our IT is avoiding it like the plague thanks to the expected user-backlash from our admin staff & some engineers (seriously set in their ways...they're still not happy that we switched from WordPerfect/Lotus several years ago! LOL)

You might try this link if you really don't want to upgrade:

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats

I've had good success with Office 2003...YMMV with 2000, though.

I like the new outlook 2007. It's IMAP support is better than 2k3.

The compat pack is the right answer if you don't want to upgrade.

DSW44:
Thank you. That works! I did the updates as suggested and then installed the "fileconverter.exe" then double clicked on the XLSX file and it popped up a window saying file conversion process is in effect. then the file opened. :)
Finally something is going right today!

Remember if you go to microsofts site you can download the full program and try it for 60 days... then uninstall it before it expires and install it again. :D

I have been using it here for over 3 months now.

DSW44:
Thank you. That works! I did the updates as suggested and then installed the "fileconverter.exe" then double clicked on the XLSX file and it popped up a window saying file conversion process is in effect. then the file opened. :)
Finally something is going right today!

No problem! Glad it worked for you! :up

Remember if you go to microsofts site you can download the full program and try it for 60 days... then uninstall it before it expires and install it again. :D

I have been using it here for over 3 months now.

That actually works? :eek: I'm surprised MS doesn't leave something on the system to prevent this from happening!

I actually have a licensed copy and have yet to install it on any of my computers. I hear you can install 2007 on up to 3 computers now.

only the "home" or "students" or whatever they are calling it now, can be installed on 3 machines in the same home.

only the "home" or "students" or whatever they are calling it now, can be installed on 3 machines in the same home.

That's good! so two copies would about cover me on 6 machines. two laptops and 4 desktops. :)

Oh- does installing office 2007 screw up Outlook 2003? I had a few problems with it when I installed outlook 2003 and it messed up my install of Office 2000.

BTW- Now with that patch converter installed, when I try to look at a conventional file xls or doc, it says it isn't the right format or something like that, I click on ignore and it works fine.

We still use Office 2003 on all of our home computers. It's what we use at work and I am provided with free copies under our corporate license. My wife's school made the switch earlier this year, but the students complained so they are still using 2003. I tried it for a couple months and didn't think it was any better or worse than its predecessor.

Well, it looks like I'll be upgrading my office to Office 2007. Kinda forced into it. Looked into getting copies of Office 2003, but it looks like these are almost off the market, and aren't cheaper enough to tempt. Besides, The 2003 version will just buy us a little time and not fully fix the problem.

One question I haven't gotten answered is: What qualifies as an "upgrade" for buying the significantly cheaper "upgrade standard edition of Office 2007"? Most, but not all, of our machines are StarOffice 7. I was about to start upgrading them to StarOffice 8. I think SO qualified as an upgrade for a previous version of Office, but I'm not sure.

The conversion is being driven by the fact that we are getting some Excel files that SO7 does not properly handle, and internally we are trying to use some macros to control a Proposals form internally that more people are using. It pretty much requires rewriting for SO7. And, of course, there are those new file formats that might soon come our way.

So I'm also very interested in how Office 2007 will interact with our Outlook 2003 based on our SBServer 2003.

I like that Word finally has a save to pdf format built in.

For home use, OpenOffice 2.1 works great and reads/writes MSO 2003 files no problem.

I've been a beta tester for Microsoft for many years now. Office 2007, I found to be the most annoying program to get aquatinted with, if you are educated in previous versions like Office 2003! The program will convert older office version files, allow you to save files to its current version type, convert files to almost any older office version, and also any other company formats on the market. It has since day one, even from back in the day when Windows 95 and Office 95 came out. Microsoft wants to be the main company you go to, for software and if not, you can still save your work under the company you wish to move it to. If the program does not do it already, they usually release programs to convert the file to the type you want in relation to the recent release.

I don't like Office 2007 but decided to give Outlook 2007 a chance (2.0 GB limitation goes away).

Is there any way to change the Mail Folders font size? They look very small to me. I've changed the font size on the messages for each folder but the Mail Folders listing font is too small.