OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Interesting chart that shows just how much money is at stake in the Fox/Cablevision and Fox/Dish disputes. It is amazing that subscribers pay $4.08 per month for 1 channel (ESPN) that is watched on average 1 minute per day. By 2017, Wells Fargo Securities estimates that retrans consent for all broadcast networks will hit $4.6 billion...wow.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/photos/stylus/155629-RtransLO.pdf

What I find amazing is the number of people who could get much better HD reception along with all the sub-channels by simply investing in a quality rooftop antena. I live in suburban Chicago and years ago got an excellent rooftop as a back up to the cable/sat services I had. Just as to never having to miss out on an important game due to tech or weather difficulties. This before HD. Now with my rooftop. I get better HD than any of the sat/cable services along with the multitude of sub-channels. While I have the locals with cable, when I settle down to watch a game on a network station, it is with the OTA unless I plan on doing a lot of surfing. Anyone in the area I live in could have the same excellent OTA like I do but almost no one does. They all get the locals via sta/cable. I wonder how many people might get wise if prices skyrocketted dues to the locals? A good OTA with install, a few hundred bucks. Of course this doen't apply to those who just can't get OTA but for those who can it is well worth the investment.

If Dish drops FOX 11/1 and the Yankees had made the World Series, could you imagine the howls of protest. Might have helped speed up the resolution. I'd like to hear / see some progress as we're getting closer and closer.

What I find amazing is the number of people who could get much better HD reception along with all the sub-channels by simply investing in a quality rooftop antena. I live in suburban Chicago and years ago got an excellent rooftop as a back up to the cable/sat services I had. Just as to never having to miss out on an important game due to tech or weather difficulties. This before HD. Now with my rooftop. I get better HD than any of the sat/cable services along with the multitude of sub-channels. While I have the locals with cable, when I settle down to watch a game on a network station, it is with the OTA unless I plan on doing a lot of surfing. Anyone in the area I live in could have the same excellent OTA like I do but almost no one does. They all get the locals via sta/cable. I wonder how many people might get wise if prices skyrocketted dues to the locals? A good OTA with install, a few hundred bucks. Of course this doen't apply to those who just can't get OTA but for those who can it is well worth the investment.

I think the reason is people want an all-in-one solution. They don't want multiple avenues for one service. This is also the reason bundled packages with some cable providers has become so popular. One bill, one provider, one relationship.

I know the last thing I want to do is deal with getting a rooftop antenna installed because the company I'm currently paying for my locals is having issues. If anything, THEY should pay for it.

I think the reason is people want an all-in-one solution. They don't want multiple avenues for one service. This is also the reason bundled packages with some cable providers has become so popular. One bill, one provider, one relationship.

I know the last thing I want to do is deal with getting a rooftop antenna installed because the company I'm currently paying for my locals is having issues. If anything, THEY should pay for it.

I bought a hi-gain rooftop antenna several years ago (we're about 22-23 miles from the tower) and installed it myself in the attic of my garage. It works great. But I agree, the all-in-one solution is probably more popular. E* receivers have the integrated capability, not sure about D*. I'm hoping my cable company's DVR will accommodate my OTA antenna as well.

I bought a hi-gain rooftop antenna several years ago (we're about 22-23 miles from the tower) and installed it myself in the attic of my garage. It works great. But I agree, the all-in-one solution is probably more popular. E* receivers have the integrated capability, not sure about D*. I'm hoping my cable company's DVR will accommodate my OTA antenna as well.

cable wont let you install directly into their box you gonna have to use ota input on your tv. i did that last year during football season i get baltimore locals and d.c. locals with ota with fios only got d.c. locals

26 years ago I installed an antenna in my garage for the local TV stations. This was before E was avalable in my area. Had this with a "big dish" for several years before switching to E. Fortunatily I've always been able to receive the locals off air and unless something major were to happen, would never pay for locals via; cable, sat, etc.
Always have had better picture FTA. My local FOX network has been advertising how I might loose their signal by 11-1, I just laugh at them. :popcorn

Never could understand those people who can receive locals FTA, willing to spend money monthly to get a poorer signal with reduced channels

I have to agree with DISH on this one, TV is here to give us options for entertainment. If the tickets to a sporting event are too expensive for me to go, I don't go and do something else. I still have the Absolute Package because it is the best offer, the HD I like to watch, for my money. If E wanted to offer me all the FOX channels for $10 more, would I buy it, probably not, but that's just me. :)

26 years ago I installed an antenna in my garage for the local TV stations. This was before E was avalable in my area. Had this with a "big dish" for several years before switching to E. Fortunatily I've always been able to receive the locals off air and unless something major were to happen, would never pay for locals via; cable, sat, etc.
Always have had better picture FTA. My local FOX network has been advertising how I might loose their signal by 11-1, I just laugh at them. :popcorn

Never could understand those people who can receive locals FTA, willing to spend money monthly to get a poorer signal with reduced channels.

I have to agree with DISH on this one, TV is here to give us options for entertainment. If the tickets to a sporting event are too expensive for me to go, I don't go and do something else. I still have the Absolute Package because it is the best offer, the HD I like to watch, for my money. If E wanted to offer me all the FOX channels for $10 more, would I buy it, probably not, but that's just me. :)

Buy antenna.. mount antenna.. connect cable from antenna in to your 622... use the same GUI interface and guide on the same box to record all shows.. how much more all-in-one do you want?

I think the reason is people want an all-in-one solution.
They (cablecos, satellite, etc) have to make their systems relatively idiot-proof too. A lot of people have enough trouble using set-tops, changing inputs (Dish has a "recovery" button on their remotes !!), and so on. Also, some people will feel that the cableco or satellite company should sell and install the TV antenna.

If Dish drops FOX 11/1 and the Yankees had made the World Series, could you imagine the howls of protest. Might have helped speed up the resolution. I'd like to hear / see some progress as we're getting closer and closer.
I beg to disagree with you. If pleasing Yankees fans was hot on Dish's list, they'd be carrying YES Network.

And just think what'll happen on 11/1 when Dish does drop Fox, especially here in Texas where the Rangers did make the series.....defections en masse to DirecTV.

And just think what'll happen on 11/1 when Dish does drop Fox, especially here in Texas where the Rangers did make the series.....defections en masse to DirecTV.
Think what will happen around Nov. 15th when we still have no FOX. The fence sitters will give up and jump ship. I don't hold "E" at fault but FOX holds the long term hammer.

if E* has no fox on nov 1st
how many think the cost will go down?

no fox, no fx, no rsn, ect ect = same cost?
chrarlie is laughing all the way to the bank

If I depended on E* strictly for my locals, there is a lot I would be missing. Besides being able to pick up all the locals out of Syracuse, NY. There are several sub-channels on the local stations in Rochester that I can get that aren't carried by Dish.

I beg to disagree with you. If pleasing Yankees fans was hot on Dish's list, they'd be carrying YES Network.

If you are a hardcore Yankee fan, you wouldn't last a week with Dish Network due to no YES. Only a bunch of us Met fans who giggle at denying the Yankees ANY of my money.

You live in Chicago, which has like 23 channels OTA, (and great programming I might add). That is just NOT the case all over the U.S., and you have to understand that.

I live in a rural Michigan area, almost dead center of Michigan lower penisula. Since tv went digital, I can receive exactly 4 channels OTA. Three of them are ALL the same network, in 3 different directions! If the wind blows a tiny little bit, they digitize in and out, even with 100% signal. It SUCKS!

I have a new larger antenna with an amplifier, at the top of a tower, with a rotor. I used to be able to receive like 14 channels that were very watchable, but that went out the window with the digital transition. Believe me, there are LOTS of people in my boat, all over the U.S.

To install a good OTA antenna system from scratch, with at least a 30-40 foot tower, (too much wind on average around here, a rooftop antenna on a tripod would tear your roof off, and I used to be an Winegard installer and KNOW this) guy wire, rotor, coax wire, antenna, amplifier, you are looking at an outlay of at least $600+ retail IF you do it yourself, and don't get killed doing it. Want to pay somebody to do it? $1,200 minimum on average for our area.

It's a lot cheaper to go cable or satellite, and a lot less hassle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts