OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

It looks like there are also some privately owned Fox channels that might be pulled.
Cleveland has asked News Corp to negotiate for them, too, and I'm sure that there are more... (I can't post a link because I'm new, but if you google 'cleveland fox dish network dispute', it should come up.)
This means there will be more stations lost than the list of 10+ from a few pages ago. Whatever it is, this is going to be BAD for ratings, and that will affect News Corp in the end...

It looks like there are also some privately owned Fox channels that might be pulled.
Cleveland has asked News Corp to negotiate for them, too, and I'm sure that there are more... (I can't post a link because I'm new, but if you google 'cleveland fox dish network dispute', it should come up.)
This means there will be more stations lost than the list of 10+ from a few pages ago. Whatever it is, this is going to be BAD for ratings, and that will affect News Corp in the end...

Here is a list of the markets and stations that will be effected...

FOX Owned and Operated

New York
WNYW, WWOR

Los Angeles
KTTV, KCOP

Chicago
WFLD, WPWR

Philadelphia
WTXF

Dallas/Ft.Worth
KDFW, KDFI

Boston
WFXT

Atlanta
WAGA

Washington D.C.
WTTG, WDCA

Houston
KRIV, KTXH

Detroit
WJBK

Phoenix
KSAZ, KUTP

Tampa
WTVT

Minneapolis/St.Paul
KMSP, WFTC

Orlando (Ocala-Gainsville)
WOFL (WOGX), WRBW

Baltimore
WUTB

Austin
KTBC

Memphis
WHBQ

LOCAL TV LLC Stations

Denver
KDVR

Cleveland
WJW

Saint Louis
KTVI

Kansas City
WDAF

Salt Lake City
KSTU

Milwaukee
WITI

High Point, NC
WGHP

I agree. And I bet that if Dish did cave in and increased the fees to compensate, these same cry babies would then be complaining about costs going up. I've heard enough whining here. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't like Dish, cancel and leave the Dish forums.

If you don't want to hear the whining YOU LEAVE...I pay 120.00 a month for a service and I don't get the service I pay for...you bet I'm going to whine. I don't care who's fault it is...I pay DISH...this is the DISH Forum..

I wonder if FOX will get mad at Dish like they are at Cablevision. Fox claims Cablevision is violating the law by directing FOX customers to FOX web sites to view programming for free!

Media Life Magazine - Fox-Cablevision dispute gets even uglier

Interesting position by FOX. They put their prime time lineup onlike but claim it is illegal for cablevision to suggest there is a way to watch without paying for it on Cablevision.

Only if Dish chooses to remove the guide data.

Likely only has a license to provide guide data for channels they carry.

Um, it is Fox that has to worry about the ratings. So long as you pay your Dish bill, they do not care if you watch.

I think many of you overstate Dish's presence in many of these cities. The impact to bottom line of Dish as customers leave and enter into contracts with other providers is much more damaging to Dish than any ratings fallout Fox would see. In the end people just want their programming, they don't care who is to blame. The whole pay TV model is built around customer acquisition and then retention, Dish has a ton more to lose.

As much as I am pulling for Dish in this dispute, I honestly think most people will be upset at the provider, not the network. Most people associate getting the channel through their provider, the one they pay directly. When the see other providers still carrying the channel, they focus their anger at the one that is not. As wrong as they may be in their judgment, this is more likely the normal human reaction towards something like this

I fear you are right. They should be upset with Fox and not Dish. Dish does not pull the O&O's, Fox does. Fox is being unreasonable. It's high time that provders stand up to corporate greed and say enough is enough. If all providers stand together the network's will back off .

I fear you are right. They should be upset with Fox and not Dish. Dish does not pull the O&O's, Fox does. Fox is being unreasonable. It's high time that provders stand up to corporate greed and say enough is enough. If all providers stand together the network's will back off .

It's really hard to say who is being unreasonable without actual numbers. As-is both are to blame and many of those Dish customers will never come back, but will happily tune into the World Series, American Idol, Glee, House, NFL Football, Super Bowl, etc.

Cablevision offered to pay FOX what they wanted, but for only one year, so people could at least see the World Series and to also give both sides more time to hammer things out without customers being up in arms.... FOX said no. That is the kinda people DISH is dealing with.

Cablevision offered to pay FOX what they wanted, but for only one year, so people could at least see the World Series and to also give both sides more time to hammer things out without customers being up in arms.... FOX said no. That is the kinda people DISH is dealing with.

Define 'what they wanted' ? Is that the Time Warner package price? This from the FCC letters I haven't had a chance to read yet?

I think FOX sees the writing on the wall an realises that if they do not act this year and sign multiyear deals their window of opportunity will pass. FOX sees sub counts across all providers continuously with their cable channels like FOX news. They know cord cutting is starting to become a reality, and they figure now is the time to get the price increase in and make the money for the next few years. If they do a 1 year contract with Cablevision they will probably be in a weaker position next year.

I also heard that they offered Fox the same rate TWC was paying them. Like all claims, even if they are true, there is usually more to a story than just one side of one issue.

From what I have read, TWC's contract with Fox has an agreement to carry a certain of channels in addition to these disputed Fox channels. In doing so, TWC gets a discounted rate from FOX for some of these channels, including locals. Cabelvision offered to pay the same rate TWC was paying for Fox locals, which happens to be this discounted rate, without agreeing to the rest of the terms of that carriage deal, the carriage of the other channels.

Credit goes to mestevo posting on another site: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2621423#post2621423

I got that info from an article posted in one thread or another, it's explained here and in many search results for Time Warner, Fox, Cabelvision: Fox rejects Cablevision's offer to end impasse - Business - Media biz - msnbc.com

Cablevision said Wednesday it is willing to pay the same rate as Time Warner Cable Inc. for signals from Fox 5 in New York and Fox 29 in Philadelphia for one year, even though the rate is more than it pays for any other New York broadcast station.

The cable operator did not explain what it was offering for My 9 in New York and cable channels Fox Business Network, NatGeo Wild and Fox Deportes, which are also part of the fee dispute.

Fox, a unit of News Corp., said the rate was meant as a package deal, and called Cablevision's statement "yet another in a long line of publicity stunts."
"Cablevision is seeking a discounted 'package rate' without buying the entire package," Fox said in a statement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)