OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Less advertising in a down economy and networks not wanting to make less money means they want the viewers to make up the difference. For those that want Charlie to fold and pay Fox what they are asking, how much extra are you willing to pay every month so FX and your RSN's can be turned on right now?

The same price I was paying for it two weeks ago.

This whole down economy less this and that excuse is for the birds. The economy has been pretty bad off for a few years now so I'm sure Fox has done what it needs to do to keep afloat. I doubt the pricing they have with Dish is tanking them. I'm sick of everyone supporting the end user always being the person to come out of their pocket when companies cry about the economy yet are turning profits. Lets look at Charlies salary and see if it has been effected by this down economy.

Complete horse sh*t and you are pathetic if you are willing to support Dish or Fox with the tactics they are using.

Both parties are being greedy at this point.

I'm not supporting either side, just wondering what people are willing to pay to keep their programming.

People should not keep giving in to these rate hikes. Dish doesn't want to come out of their pockets.....Fox wants more money.....so instead of meeting halfway or trying to work things out they figure they'll just take the product away from the consumer. After they are pissed off enough, they will be more willing to accept a rate hike.

At this point i'm sticking with Dish because I don't care for FX, I can live w/o NatGeo, and it looks like i'll still be able to see the Red Wings on the CI Package like previous years. If I lived in Detroit and was unable to see the wings on my RSN, I would have already jumped ship.

If I were going to cancel Dish, I wouldn't cancel my service until DirecTv had your service up and running. Just in case something goes wrong during the DirecTv install.

Good advise as their is a reported two months wait on new install with direct tv. I also heard a rumor that direct tv maybe in a negotiation battle of their own with a national provider and folks their may lose ?

Good advise as their is a reported two months wait on new install with direct tv. I also heard a rumor that direct tv maybe in a negotiation battle of their own with a national provider and folks their may lose ?

It would suck to schedule an appointment, cancel Dish, and then DirecTv calls at the 11th hour to say they can't meet the delivery date and it'll be a few weeks.

Since they pro-rate service, I would just wait until my DirecTv is up and running, I am happy, then get on Dish's chat to cancel. No use wasting a phone call.

i may do just that. i already canceled center ice. i'll watch (and wait) the free preview. i'll probably order directv for right around the end of the preview, which is 10/24, but i may keep dish and downgrade to the lowest cheapest package. till i watch all the recorded shows i presently have. plus that'll give me a chance to see directv and it's equip in action.

Well, I'm in a pickle (kind of). I've only been with Dish for almost 2 years (contract is up at the end of the month!) and have had no real complaints about my service. Then DTV goes and adds there whole home DVR thing and I started thinking about switching at the end of the month. So I started looking into DTV and found that, after the new customer year promotion, I would actually end up paying more than I do now. The big part of the price increase is mainly because I would need more receivers from DTV because Dish has those dual room receivers. It was about $15-20 more depending on the package I would choose. Then I found out that with DTVs DVR, you can't record 2 shows and a third OTA show at the same time like you can with Dish. So that pretty much sealed the deal, during this time of year my wife and I record 3 shows at a time a few nights a week, can't bear to lose that feature. DTV whole home DVR thing looks great but, I decided to stick with Dish thinking they would eventually offer something similar.

Then they drop the Disney channels but, we got over that pretty quick because my daughter doesn’t really watch the Disney channel yet, she is a Nick Jr gal. Now this happens with Fox Sports channels, when I had just activated the sports pack at the start of college football. I'm a big sports fan and this is just bugging me that these channels are gone now. It has annoyed the crud out of me that Dish still hasn't added the MLB Network. Of course, I don't want my bill to go up either. Now I find myself considering DTV again even though I know it is more expensive and that I would miss some of the Dish features that DTV doesn't have (that new Logitech Revue Google TV thing looks interesting). Also, what is to stop this same thing from happening to DTV when their contract is up? I'm just torn, seems like we are losing more channels then gaining recently yet our bills still go up somehow. I'll probably stay with Dish because of the reasons I already mentioned (recording 3 things at once is huge in my house) but, I feel that it is kind of a sad time to be a Dish sub (at least the past few months have been).

Charlie, if you where to add the MLB Network in place of the Fox junk, I could almost forget about the whole thing (although not having my RSN come next year's baseball season would hurt).

Then I found out that with DTVs DVR, you can't record 2 shows and a third OTA show at the same time like you can with Dish. So that pretty much sealed the deal, during this time of year my wife and I record 3 shows at a time a few nights a week, can't bear to lose that feature.

I was told by a dish csr agent (for whatever thats worth) that you could add the AM21 and then you can integrate OTA right into the directv receiver and record those OTA's too. can anyone confirm this?

It's been several years since I had "D" but I'm pretty sure that they offer a module that plugs into their DVR that is for OTA channels. Their original HR20 HDDVR was just like "E's" 722 and had the OTA plug incorporated in the DVR.

I'm with Dish for the long run. We have to much on EHD's. Don't wqant to loose that. Plus my wife is a techno-phobe. I'm retired, but when I was working, people would laugh when she called and I had to try to explain to her how to work the remotes. She never learned how to use my BUD.
She's learned to use the 722 and I simplified everything by getting a new AVR with hdmi inputs. If the wife is happy, I'm happy. If this isn't resolved, the only thing that I will loose is Sabre's hockey. Will I be happy about that...No. But I will have to live with it.

I'm with Dish for the long run. We have to much on EHD's. Don't wqant to loose that. Plus my wife is a techno-phobe. I'm retired, but when I was working, people would laugh when she called and I had to try to explain to her how to work the remotes. She never learned how to use my BUD.
She's learned to use the 722 and I simplified everything by getting a new AVR with hdmi inputs. If the wife is happy, I'm happy. If this isn't resolved, the only thing that I will loose is Sabre's hockey. Will I be happy about that...No. But I will have to live with it.

I bought a harmony remote because:

(a) I am a tech geek
(b) to avoid getting those phone calls about the remotes/settings from women in the house.

Best investment ever if you have multiple settings to deal with.

These discussions are the best proof yet that all sports needs to be in it's own separate packages and High Definition needs to be in it's own separate packages.Then prices can be raised accordingly while leaving the standard definition core packages at the bottom as a base rate to be increased as costs increase on them separately.;)

I'm with you on this. Let me decide if I think the RSNs are worth whatever they could charge for them or not. In my case it would be NOT as I don't watch them now and wouldn't have the multi-sport if it wasn't for the NFL Red Zone.

Put all sports in a package and price it out, same for HD.

Totally agree. Of course, it ain't gonna happen as the content providers all want every channel they have in the lowest tier. :(

I they were paying roughly $5 a month for these RSN's and fox's other programing, then we should all get $5 off out bill to offset the lost programming. I think that would be fair enough. Then when it comes time for Baseball next season if the dispute is not over then switch to D* if you want to watch it. Because watching pro basketball isnt worth my time.

I have been with Dish since 1995 through thick and thin-programming disputes are always worked out though some take awhile. To me, its all about loyality. Dish has never treated me bad and always worked with me with any problem I have had. It just doesn't make sense to go switching back and forth in the television business, and crying because you cant get the channels you want. The more people who leave cause harm to Dish and their efforts to go after the NFL or other channels that DTV has and vice versa===Loyality is cheap now days.

I think it is a bit premature to do the switching, but do understand the sports lovers wants.

But the switch to D* or other provider most likely will result in the loss of many National HD channels you might want. In the case of D*, it doesn't appear that they are going to be adding many either in spite of the howling for more of them from their user base.

So you have to balance which is most important, and you also need to decide if you believe E* and Fox will come to some terms fairly soon. Personally I think they will, but lots of verbiage, lies and half-truths will be presented from both sides first.

And then there is the issue that if E* bends over for Fox, how soon before those new rates show up on those other providers. The handwriting is on the wall, they all want more money and they are all willing to do things you wouldn't have thought they would do, to get it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)