OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Then what is the correct date and give us a link or some type of proof that you know something that the others don't.
Link to verbal interaction and PM's with certain members is not possible. The thing is you can believe it or not, that is all I can give you.

Link to verbal interaction and PM's with certain members is not possible. The thing is you can believe it or not, that is all I can give you.

I don't understand what the 1st sentence means. The 2nd sentence is just saying that you have nothing to help us know any different than what has been said previously.

It is not the end of November. The November date that everyone is touting is not correct

If it's not true, Fox Chicago is going to look awfully stupid.

There are Anti-Dish commercials on at least four times an hour on the two fox stations here in Chicago. They all flatly and unambiguously say that Dish will lose access to the two Fox affiliates in Chicago at Midnight Nov. 1 unless Dish agrees to a fair carriage agreement.

Interestingly, the commercials recommend that I switch to either Comcast or Directv. They do not mention Uverse or RCN cable. Perhaps they are next on the hit list?

If it's not true, Fox Chicago is going to look awfully stupid.

There are Anti-Dish commercials on at least four times an hour on the two fox stations here in Chicago. They all flatly and unambiguously say that Dish will lose access to the two Fox affiliates in Chicago at Midnight Nov. 1 unless Dish agrees to a fair carriage agreement.

Interestingly, the commercials recommend that I switch to either Comcast or Directv. They do not mention Uverse or RCN cable. Perhaps they are next on the hit list?

The Nov date that DK is talking about is not the E* date. It is the date that the contract for D* and Fox renewal comes up. He was saying that the contract for D* isn't ending then like it was stated a couple of times earlier.

Last edited:
The Nov date that DK is talking about is not the E* date. It is the date that the contract for D* and Fox renewal comes up. He was saying that the contract for D* isn't ending then like it was stated a couple of times earlier.

Withdrawn. Guess I should learn to read. Or maybe we should end this thread.

Interesting that 2 things stuck out in the story. One is few cancellations for Dish and the other that antenna business is picking up. It appears from the story that maybe more are willing to stick it out than some thought.

The touble is the lack of Dish cancellations may be due to the ETF, so people are willing to get Fox OTA until their contract ends. What worries me is that as this dispute goes on, or others come along, people will just say "enough" and go back to OTA completely.:(

Ghpr13:(

Boomer Esiason discussed the Cablevision-Fox dispute on WFAN this morning citing info he got from CBS insiders:

CBS Podcast Player

Fast forward in to about 10:45 to skip the Giants and Jets coverage. Apparently CBS insiders know what's going on here.

GAWD. I forgot how obnoxious The Fan is.

But they bring up one good point that should be elaborated on: Why is Fox asking for such a large increase?

Because they are afraid they will NOT be able to compete with ESPN for rights to Baseball, Nascar, NFL, etc.

Generally, retransmission rights go for between 50 and 75 cents per month per subscriber. (Fox is asking for about $2.50).

ESPN gets around $5 per subscriber per month.

Fox's argument is that accepting SIGNIFICANTLY less money from cable retransmission than ESPN gets will put it at a competitive disadvantage.

If you assume 100 million households, then ESPN gets $6 billion a year from cable and satellite companies, while Fox affiliates get much less than $1 billion.

Of course, I have an antenna, so I am not too worried. But I can see this dragging on for some time.

...and the other that antenna business is picking up. It appears from the story that maybe more are willing to stick it out than some thought.
Believe it or not, when the local Time Warner has fighting the local NBC station (Lin Broadcasting), TW was actually giving away antennas to their customers so that they could hook them up and still get the channel !! I'm sure it was a disaster, but hey, at least they tried !!

Here is a quote from an article I found on the ESPN New York website:

A coalition of pay-TV providers -- including Cablevision, Time Warner Cable, DirecTV Inc., Dish Network Corp. and Verizon Communications Inc. -- have seized on these incidents to ask the FCC to rewrite the rules governing so-called retransmission consent negotiations. They want the agency to prohibit broadcasters from pulling signals during negotiations or before popular events, and to mandate binding arbitration in disputes.

Perhaps it would be more honest of the members of this "coalition" to ask the government to make it illegal for customers to switch providers during one of these contract disputes.

The touble is the lack of Dish cancellations may be due to the ETF, so people are willing to get Fox OTA until their contract ends. What worries me is that as this dispute goes on, or others come along, people will just say "enough" and go back to OTA completely.:(

That certainly could happen, but I doubt it. What I do think will happen is that those that stick around for awhile will get used to what isn't there and find they don't actually care about it at all. That is the one thing Fox doesn't want to happen as it takes away their leverage.

I've not been greatly affected by all this. I never watch the RSNs and only a couple things on FX that I can get via Hulu just fine. And the rest of Fox's channels aren't of any interest to me. The local Fox is not an O&O, so I can still get them, but even if it was, I'd just get them via OTA like I do most of the time now.

Well geeze, gosh dolly, dang garn. Might be like it was when I grew up. OH, THE HORROR!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
GAWD. I forgot how obnoxious The Fan is.

But they bring up one good point that should be elaborated on: Why is Fox asking for such a large increase?

Because they are afraid they will NOT be able to compete with ESPN for rights to Baseball, Nascar, NFL, etc.

Generally, retransmission rights go for between 50 and 75 cents per month per subscriber. (Fox is asking for about $2.50).

ESPN gets around $5 per subscriber per month.

Fox's argument is that accepting SIGNIFICANTLY less money from cable retransmission than ESPN gets will put it at a competitive disadvantage.

If you assume 100 million households, then ESPN gets $6 billion a year from cable and satellite companies, while Fox affiliates get much less than $1 billion.

Of course, I have an antenna, so I am not too worried. But I can see this dragging on for some time.

5 bucks per sub per month? Not sure I can buy that, but if its true, why didnt the providers balk at that too? I mean I'm sure some did did but you didn't hear so much fuss over it.

I had though this list would be much larger, but according to wiki, these are the fox O&O stations---

Fox

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)