OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

+1

D* also avoids many disputes by simply not negotiating at all. Where are AMC, BBCA, Cooking, DIY, E!, G4, HLN, Nat Geo Wild, TCM, etc., etc. on D*? No public dispute, so no bad press. But that doesn't change the fact that they have their own disputes we never hear about.
Your second sentence contradicts you first. They do not have the channels you listed because they are currently negotiating.

Currently I am watching the Padres-Giants game in HD on Dish because Comcast would rather just collect more money from advertisers.
What about those with Dish that do not live in the BA?

I am currently watching the same game on DirecTV here in SoCal. If I had Dish I would not be able to do so. Not only is the game on EI, it is also on the MLB channel (no need to sub to EI to get it).

And of course, I am rooting for the Padres :D

After a few beers yesterday I decided I needed to call. Best part is when you call Dish they tell you to call Fox Sports and give you their number. When you call Fox, they tell you to call Dish.

Why are we in the middle of this? Grow up and negotiate!

After a few beers yesterday I decided I needed to call. Best part is when you call Dish they tell you to call Fox Sports and give you their number. When you call Fox, they tell you to call Dish.

Why are we in the middle of this? Grow up and negotiate!

I love this crap!

Fact: DISH Network is a successful, profitable business (thanks in part to the money they already charge subscribers for free, over-the-air broadcast programming). It can surely afford to fairly compensate broadcasters for that content without raising rates. Just how profitable is DISH Network?

And Fox can't afford to lower it's prices a bit? Someone pull me some stats; I seem to recall Murdoch's baby being 10 times bigger than DISH in shares and revenue.

DISH Network may advertise itself as a low price provider, but that still hasn’t stopped them from posting exceedingly high profits. As of August 2010, DISH Network is on pace to profit nearly $2 billion for the year or more than 40 percent more than they did in 2009.

FOX stock please?

Overall in the most recent quarter, DISH Network posted a very healthy 25 percent profit margin.

Throwing bricks in a glass house...

What about those with Dish that do not live in the BA?

I am currently watching the same game on DirecTV here in SoCal. If I had Dish I would not be able to do so. Not only is the game on EI, it is also on the MLB channel (no need to sub to EI to get it).

And of course, I am rooting for the Padres :D

But you are missing the original point.

Fox wants Dish to pay more, for the same game, than Dish pays to Comcast. :eek:

Last edited:
But you are missing the original point.

Fox wants Dish to pay the more, for the same game, than Dish pays to Comcast. :eek:
I know. I just wanted to poke a little fun at a Giants fan and a Dish sub. With my Dodgers out, the only thing I have left is to root against the Giants. :p

Who's better? Who's worse? This is running around in a circle. Here's the facts. Both sides (Dish & Direct, tired of writing the whole names) had their problems in the past. Whoever said that Dish might be to blame as they are fighting three disputes at once, has a point. Really, even though it has reached the point of a bad divorce we can add a 4th every baseball season between Dish and MLB. At the end of the day everyone, me included who spoke earlier of the matter, needs to stop. If you love Dish, great! If you love Direct, great! If you love hanging on the roof trying to position an OTA antenna to get reception, like I might have to November 1st, great! Both sides have very valid points, but it's getting old. That's why I stopped. Can we get any new info on what the - - - - is going on between Dish and FOX?

This whole thing is .... I don't even know what it is. Both DISH and FOX are liars. Big fat liars. Their states are the complete opposite. They can't both be true. I think it has been so long since either has told the truth they don't even know what the truth is any more. And the only truth that matter is the the only person paying here is the one suffering. Sham on both of them. Get it together guys.

And DISH (if you are even listening to your customers-- which I doubt) if my DVR disappears then so will I. It will be the final straw. If you would quite breaking the law you would not have to pay large settlements and then you could offer the programming your costumers pay for.

One other question, I just saw Charlie's video for the first time, and read other people's post. Charlie is making it sound as if he doesn't give a crap about FX and Nat Geo, it's all about FOX's ripping Dish and it's subs off for FSN. On the other hand, people are saying that FOX is throwing FSN into the mix to anger subs so they can get more complaints and get better profits for FX and Nat Geo. WHAT'S THE ACTUAL PROBLEM? WHO'S GETTING USED, FX and Nat Geo viewers or FSN viewers? Also, why does Dish put FX on a higher tier? Cable and Fiber companies put it on their most basic packages. I sorry for MSG viewers, because you are really in the dark about this matter. These are the things that we should be talking about.

Be sure to get a firm installation date (some people have reported not being able to get an install for a few weeks).

I haven't changed yet....I need to get some specifics about their DVR options. Besides, I wouldn't call to cancel Dish until DirectTV was up and running.

This whole thing is .... I don't even know what it is. Both DISH and FOX are liars. Big fat liars. Their states are the complete opposite. They can't both be true. I think it has been so long since either has told the truth they don't even know what the truth is any more. And the only truth that matter is the the only person paying here is the one suffering. Sham on both of them. Get it together guys.

And DISH (if you are even listening to your customers-- which I doubt) if my DVR disappears then so will I. It will be the final straw. If you would quite breaking the law you would not have to pay large settlements and then you could offer the programming your costumers pay for.

:welcome

WHO'S GETTING USED, FX and Nat Geo viewers or FSN viewers? Also, why does Dish put FX on a higher tier?

The only people here that are getting used are us subscribers. Charlie sends his spin about how he is negotiating with the broadcast companies so that he can keep the cost to us down, while he raises our bills. Mine has gone up $30 in the last 6 months.

I will be calling Direct on Monday. I gave them the weekend for this issue to be fixed, and I suppose Dish will actually have until I can get the install to fix the issues but honestly I can't keep playing the "let's see what channels we lose this month while Charlie negotiates" game.

The only people here that are getting used are us subscribers. Charlie sends his spin about how he is negotiating with the broadcast companies so that he can keep the cost to us down, while he raises our bills. Mine has gone up $30 in the last 6 months.

I will be calling Direct on Monday. I gave them the weekend for this issue to be fixed, and I suppose Dish will actually have until I can get the install to fix the issues but honestly I can't keep playing the "let's see what channels we lose this month while Charlie negotiates" game.

I agree, I've tried to hang in there, but now this is getting ridiculous. Time to check out D*.

I agree, I've tried to hang in there, but now this is getting ridiculous. Time to check out D*.

And it's one thing when this goes on during the off season. But this conflict is affecting my college football watching experience. Now it's personal. :mad: I don't care who's right or who's wrong. I just want my college football games on the channels that I have paid for just so I can get those games... even paid for them in the off season. If I have to miss another 4 or 5 games next weekend because this still isn't sorted out, then I'm going to at least read the fine print in my contract to see what my early termination fee is. That's a first step anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there (with Directv), done that. I'm a relatively new subscriber to Dish, coming from direct after 10+ years. I also admit I am not a huge sports fan, but I was a subscriber to the sports stuff other than the NFL and various "tickets". I suppose if you are a big NFL fan, Direct is the place to be. For a casual watcher of sports who is more interested in movies and other things, I couldn't be happier- I have superior technology and access at a MUCH cheaper price than I had before. In fact, my savings over what I was paying (over two years) was enough to buy me a new Samsung 40" hdtv...

All I am going to say is - be careful what you wish for. You may find numerous things on the "other side" that you took for granted at Dish that aren't there (or aren't free). Both sides have their advantages. I particularly am amazed at how superior, at least for my needs, the "boxes" (dvrs', HD receivers, etc) are- including their ability for homeplug etc. But, I understand sports folks who need to see their shows. It is unfortunate there is no arbitration overseen by the FCC between providers and carriers... this should be changed. But we know Congress is too busy adjourning to try to save their own jobs - at least for now....:confused:

I hear you. I just wasn't sure exactly what was the sour grapes, but it seems that FOX and Dish don't know either. Good luck, hope everything works out for you.

And it's one thing when this goes on during the off season. But this conflict is affecting my college football watching experience. Now it's personal. :mad: I don't care who's right or who's wrong. I just want my college football games on the channels that I have paid for just so I can get those games... even paid for them in the off season. If I have to miss another 4 or 5 games next weekend because this still isn't sorted out, then I'm going to at least read the fine print in my contract to see what my early termination fee is. That's a first step anyway.

Hey I only disagree with you at one part of your statement. There is never an offseason. Some sports fan would get screwed no matter what time of the year they pulled this crap. As I've said, I'm one of the luck ones who didn't loose an RSN and have only FX to wine about. And I've heard that somewhere in that fine print is a "programming subject to change" clause, but I've also heard that DirecTV would also cover that cancelation fee for you too. So happy researching! I hope all works out for you as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)