OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

I wish Fox would just stop with the FSN stations and leave the local Foxs alone. I could care less about sports - but my wife will throw a fit if she loses Glee come November 1st.

And they can take Fox News anytime they want - the less people who can see that trash the better!

I wish Fox would just stop with the FSN stations and leave the local Foxs alone. I could care less about sports - but my wife will throw a fit if she loses Glee come November 1st.

And they can take Fox News anytime they want - the less people who can see that trash the better!

Why should you decide what I watch? Leave the FSN light up and take the rest off. Much better solution.

Directv has FSN in their basic "Choice" package.

Did you notice the price difference?

America's Top 120+ $44.99 (includes RSNs)
Choice $58.99
That is a $14/month difference.

In addition:
Dish Latino Dos $39.99 (includes RSNs)
Choice $58.99 (includes RSNs)
That is a $19/month difference.
[Note: According to D*'s site, the Spanish package with RSNs is Lo Maximo at $114.99. If anyone really wants to go there, then that would be a $75/month difference. :D]

Of course, it is important to note that these are the regular package prices with locals.

We're just all better off without Fox. Though I do like House...and Nat Geo... :rolleyes: :rant: :rolleyes:

Speak for yourself! I am NOT better off without the Missouri at Texas A&M, California at USC, Oklahoma State at Texas Tech, and Iowa State at Oklahoma college football games tomorrow (not to mention the droves I've missed and will miss during the short, precious season); and I am definitely not better off without all of my Dallas Stars games including (cringe :mad:) Mike Modano's return to Dallas as a Red Wing on a very meaningful night and memorable game that I missed last night because the NHL Network feed is blacked out because I'm supposed to be watching it on FSN SW. I am NOT better off and neither are a lot of people who are sports fans. :mad:

The AT120 is not even close to Choice. Choice has close to 200 channels

I was referring to what Curtis0620 posted: Directv has FSN in their basic "Choice" package.

However, if you really want to look at it that way:

America's Top 200 $54.99
Choice $58.99

There is a $4 difference if you look at it this way. According to DirecTV, Choice has 150+ channels according to their Packages page.

In my opinion, 150 is closer to 120 than 200.
150-120=30
200-150=50

despite what the newbies say, I totally agree! They could pull all the Fox channels and I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep!

I think if DISH doesn't want to get into programming dispute then they need to merge with some bigger corporation like Disney or NBC/ Universal. Or Charlie needs to sell 30 to 40% stock to bigger corporation. Directv is big Corporation but they are owned by bigger corporation like Liberty Media and News Corporation so they don't get into lot of programming disputes. Comcast also owned some channels but don't know which ones so they don't get into that much programming disputes. DISH is running by itself so either they will have to agree with what programmers want to play hard ball what they have been doing for years but how long they can do it. Eventually DISH customer will get tired of losing channels and may leave them for other provider. If they are owned by bigger corporation then its easier for them negotiate contract and reach a fair deal. This is just my thinking.

I think if DISH doesn't want to get into programming dispute then they need to merge with some bigger corporation like Disney or NBC/ Universal. Or Charlie needs to sell 30 to 40% stock to bigger corporation. Directv is big Corporation but they are owned by bigger corporation like Liberty Media and News Corporation so they don't get into lot of programming disputes. Comcast also owned some channels but don't know which ones so they don't get into that much programming disputes. DISH is running by itself so either they will have to agree with what programmers want to play hard ball what they have been doing for years but how long they can do it. Eventually DISH customer will get tired of losing channels and may leave them for other provider. If they are owned by bigger corporation then its easier for them negotiate contract and reach a fair deal. This is just my thinking.

I am not sure about this.
Dish may end up being pricey this way.

actually what we need are more fox channels. an all sara palin all the time channel would be awesome!

seriously people, all this "we'd all be better w/o fox" talk is just so juvenile. if you don't like it, take it off your programmable list like i do with msnbc.

Speak for yourself! I am NOT better off without the Missouri at Texas A&M, California at USC, Oklahoma State at Texas Tech, and Iowa State at Oklahoma college football games tomorrow (not to mention the droves I've missed and will miss during the short, precious season); and I am definitely not better off without all of my Dallas Stars games including (cringe :mad:) Mike Modano's return to Dallas as a Red Wing on a very meaningful night and memorable game that I missed last night because the NHL Network feed is blacked out because I'm supposed to be watching it on FSN SW. I am NOT better off and neither are a lot of people who are sports fans. :mad:

I, too, couldn't care less about the loss of the sports channels. I think National Geographic Channel is a great channel, but frankly, I never watch it and hence will not miss it. In light of this recent threat, I have tweaked my OTA setup such that I have my Fox local secured and have been watching local exclusively via OTA. I understand that some, perhaps many, do not have OTA as an option.

That said, I really don't understand the fickle insensitive comments in the vein of "I don't care...let 'em take down the channels...". I, personally, don't want to see any channel taken down whatever the reason. I know there must be a market for such channels even though I don't watch them. Not to overstate the implications of this issue, but comments such as the aforementioned are akin to people in the majority taking a neutral stance while minorities rights are being taken away only to become outraged when their own rights are threatened in the same fashion.

I do believe that almost everyone in this thread speaks within the realm in which this issue truly lies, and that is entertainment. Despite the fervor, ultimately none of us need these channels in the truest since of the word, but I am amused---dare I say 'entertained'---by the voracity with which the opinions are expressed.

I have heard from a reliable source that works with DirecTV that Direct and Fox have pretty much already agreed to terms. What is important is that this source has also heard from others that there are rumors of Direct and Fox colluding in order to get subs to leave other providers and go to DirecTV. This is just a rumor, and should be taken with a grain of salt

despite what the newbies say, I totally agree! They could pull all the Fox channels and I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep!
You're missing the issue that would result though: loss of subscribers means loss of bargaining position, which means that Dish can't negotiate as aggressively with the other networks. If people leave to go to DirecTV, they're not coming back for at least 2 years if they ever come back at all. Same with any other providers who require contracts (ie, FiOS).

The loss of the FOX channels may not affect you directly, but there would be huge collateral fallout which would affect you. Unless you like paying more for less content, then pulling FOX could be your own personal dream come true.

I thought they were supposed to make the other RSNs available to those of you that lost yours. Those games are on 414 FSN RM tomorrow. You might check it out or call and see if you can get that channel.

There are more than a few markets where Dish doesn't carry all of the major networks.

other than a couple markets where they dont have all the nets due to "distants" issue or Salisbury, MD where the locals are holding them hostage, Dish has almost every market's locals :)

I have heard from a reliable source that works with DirecTV that Direct and Fox have pretty much already agreed to terms. What is important is that this source has also heard from others that there are rumors of Direct and Fox colluding in order to get subs to leave other providers and go to DirecTV. This is just a rumor, and should be taken with a grain of salt

Given that Fox used to own DIRECTV, there is probably still a close working relationship. Since DIRECTV has the most subscribers they probably have a deal to get the best deal given to any other provider. So, they can sit back and let Dish/Cablevision/etc do all the hard work negotiating, and get probably a slightly better deal since they have more subs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)