OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Why do they want so much more money is the question. Is it the actors and actresses making too much? What did the guys from two and a half men just get in a new contract? Is this why? Guys making 2 million an episode? I don't know but it makes me wonder.

Well lets see, I guess I am 'tween 50 and 100, 66 to be exact. I used to love the Ted Mack Amateur Hour and Arthur Godfrey as a kid. I have always liked talent shows. AI is the most popular television show on the air today and has held that spot for years. Your dribble is the majority's favorite. Live with it......

A tween is someone fyi bobby is someone who isn't a teenager. between 10 or 11 and 13. i guess you fall into their age group. yes it's the majorities dribble. remember the average intelligence of the average american and that is why AI is a hit. it's made for the lowest common denominator.

Let's not get personal please.
To each his own regarding TV show's, I am not a fan reality shows but that does not make me smarter than someone who is. As for Glee- It is a lot better show than some give it credit. All in all it television is still entertainment and that s why we have so many choices.

Well, I figured I might as well try and see what Dish would give me, as an AT250 + HD Platinum customer. After being on "chat hold" with the Loyalty department for almost a half hour, they immediately offered me $5.00 off for 6 months.

Eh, better than nothing I suppose.

According to Wikipedia, the following are Fox O & O affiliates:

* Atlanta: WAGA-TV (channel 5)
* Austin, Texas: KTBC-TV (channel 7)
* Boston: WFXT (channel 25)
* Chicago: WFLD-TV (channel 32)
* Dallas: KDFW-TV (channel 4)
* Detroit: WJBK-TV (channel 2)
* Houston: KRIV (channel 26)
* Los Angeles: KTTV (channel 11)
* Memphis: WHBQ-TV (channel 13)
* Minneapolis: KMSP-TV (channel 9)
* New York City: WNYW (channel 5)
* Ocala, Florida: WOGX (channel 51)
* Orlando: WOFL (channel 35)
* Philadelphia: WTXF-TV (channel 29)
* Phoenix: KSAZ-TV (channel 10)
* Tampa: WTVT (channel 13)
* Washington, D.C.: WTTG (channel 5)
[Source: ]Error

Looks like you are right about your Los Angeles Fox affiliate...

Fox is running ads in Kansas City saying that Dish will lose the local Fox affiliate, even though it's not Fox O&O.

Correct
Its been posted before but I'll rephrase it.

Stations that were owned by Fox and sold to Local TV LLC are also on the chopping block Nov 1. Local TV has given Fox the right to bargain for them

the post
SatelliteGuys.US - View Single Post - OFFICIAL DISH / FOX DISPUTE DISCUSSION THREAD

Local TV LLC markets with Fox
Denver
Ft Collins
Cleveland
St Louis
KC
SLC
Milwaukee
Greensboro, NC

and a snippet of the Milwaukee news article

Channel 6, by the way, had been owned by Fox. It was sold in 2007, along with 17 other Fox affiliates, to a company called Local TV LLC. That company has its own negotiations going with Dish, and Channel 6 general manager Chuck Steinmetz tells me the group has given Fox its proxy to handle the talks.

"If the agreement isn't signed, we would come off Dish here in the market," Steinmetz says.

I got 3 PPV coupons. I wanted a credit as I don't use PPV. Anyone know if I can get that instead?

Call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. That is what I had to do when they offered me the same PPV offer. Waited a while, but I wasn't going to accept PPV coupons for something I have never used nor the offer of channels I already pay for.

Fox RSN's Need Updating, Anyway

I've been a DISH subscriber since June 1996, and the Fox RSN's have been a confusing mystery to me the whole time. I live in Arkansas, about 60 miles northwest of Memphis, TN, but I'm treated as though I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.

Truthfully, I really only care about hockey and soccer, but I do watch other sports on a casual basis. But I never know what game will be available when I turn on the TV: both pro and college sports are often blacked out to the local folks in Dallas---and me as well. I don't understand why the blackout can't apply based on a zip code or other basis?

Just when I think I've got it figured out, they surprise me by doing something that actually makes a bit of sense. For example, last year most of the Dallas Mavericks' games were blocked---but on one of the Alternate channels, I was able to get Memphis Grizzlies' games. I thought perhaps they were going to actually make decisions based upon geographical location, but apparently not. Last season, I wrote to the Dallas Stars, St. Louis Blues, Nashville Predators, and the NHL, simply asking for an explanation as to why when I'm 443 road miles from Dallas---but only 279 miles from Nashville and 234 miles from St. Louis---Fox has (seemingly) arbitrarily made the Dallas Stars my "home team?" As one would expect, I received no reply from any of the individual teams, and just a form reply from the NHL that said nothing.

If some new type of agreement is going to be eventually negotiated between Fox and DISH (and Cablevision, and who knows who else), why not put something in place to assign a home team in each sport, based on billing address, that more realistically reflects a local team?

I understand that there's no ambiguity if one lives in a metro area somewhere. But many of us don't, and there must be a better solution!

jansan said:
Fox just said no to arbitration with Cablevision. I love watching Fox programming, but refusing to arbitrate says something to me as a consumer of their product.
Maybe because Fox had mandated arbitration hanging over their head for about four years (2005-2008)?

Lots of details, but wouldn't you think that most subscribers are mainly if not exclusively interested in content and the monthly bill? We consumers ought to get what we pay for,
and for the most part I believe we do. I subscribe to Dish. I do not subscribe to Fox. If
Dish and Fox are having some sort of falling out, that is not my problem as long as Dish
is delivering the content and quality for which I am paying them. I am very happy with
Dish and I am very much enjoying the recent "free high-def for life" upgrade. The loss
of FX 136 since Oct 1 resulted in a vast improvement with HDNMV in both HD and SD.
So what will result wih the loss of Fox 31, Fox News 205, and other Fox transmissions
previously being retransmitted on Dish once November 1st rolls around?

Dish delivers. If Fox doesn't want to continue to deliver, then that's all right with me.

--
Joe

I spent about $350 to get a solid OTA setup installed. In Atlanta, I was kind of shocked that there are over 40 channels picked up OTA. Now many aren't worth watching, but still. The uncompressed OTA looks better with few artifacts then the Dish feed plus there are 2 PBS stations here. The OTA of the American Experience episode on The Doors was jaw dropping. When you DVR something, its about 3 times the space of a sat program. I really bought the OTA because I have a laptop that has a digital tuner so in case we lose power for an extended period of time we can see what is going on in the world. This kind of crap is just another reason to get an OTA setup. And I think Murdock may be the anti-Christ so I am not surprised at all about his greed.

I spent about $350 to get a solid OTA setup installed. In Atlanta, I was kind of shocked that there are over 40 channels picked up OTA. Now many aren't worth watching, but still. The uncompressed OTA looks better with few artifacts then the Dish feed plus there are 2 PBS stations here. The OTA of the American Experience episode on The Doors was jaw dropping. When you DVR something, its about 3 times the space of a sat program. I really bought the OTA because I have a laptop that has a digital tuner so in case we lose power for an extended period of time we can see what is going on in the world. This kind of crap is just another reason to get an OTA setup. And I think Murdock may be the anti-Christ so I am not surprised at all about his greed.

Well hi is actually Jewish.

It looks like Fox is asking for HUGE price increases from Cablevision also.

WNWY and WWOR: Now $8.6 million/year, Fox wants $34 million/year
Fox Business channel: $3.7 million/year, Fox wants $18.4 million/year
National Geographic Wild: $2.9 million/year, Fox wants $14.7 million/year
Fox Deportes: $500k/year, Fox wants $2.3 million/year

Analyst Says Fox-Cablevision Battle Factored into Stocks - 2010-10-13 15:06:14 | Broadcasting & Cable

Not to stand up for Fox; whereas I can't stand Cablevision either, however you might want to read the following about "poor" Cablevision (Dolans):

"Cablevision says it pays $70 million a year for access to 12 Fox channels, including those in dispute, and that News Corp. is now asking for more than $150 million a year for the same programming. It said Thursday that it is willing to submit to binding arbitration and called on Fox not to pull the plug.

"While we would rather come to terms directly with News Corp., binding arbitration may be the best and fairest way to resolve this matter," said Cablevision spokesman Charles Schueler, in a statement.

Fox rejected the call for arbitration, saying the process would "reward Cablevision for refusing to negotiate fairly."

"Direct business-to-business negotiation is the only way to resolve this issue," it said.

While Fox didn't dispute Cablevision's claims, it called Cablevision "hypocritical" because it pays more for two of its sister company channels, MSG and MSG Plus, than it does for all 12 Fox channels. MSG and MSG Plus are owned by Madison Square Garden Inc., which like Cablevision is controlled by the Dolan family."

Cablevision, Fox fight may affect baseball fans - BusinessWeek

Cablevision is a hard company to feel sorry for in any circumstances. They are one of those companies that will raise rates if they hear a fart.

As stubborn as Newscorp is being with its negotiations, I honestly don't see the fox stations coming back anytime soon. Infact, I expect to see more fox sations go off. Unless the FCC gets involved.

Like I said in an earlier post, many of our rural cable companies have not had any Fox programming in a couple of years and it was all because of the price.

And for anyone trying to OTA signals (HD).

I live about 40 miles away from the nearest tower and I am in the woods. With just a bowtie antennae mounted behind my receiver, I get 14 stations. 2 CW and 4 fox stations.

So it doesn't take much to pull in signals.

The can pull the Local Fox Channel off any the providers here anytime. I can look out by backyard and see the fox29 transmission tower.

Perhaps that is the way for all the mso's to go. Drop the locals and let everyone get ota. It could work for me.

I love how people bitch about pricing then bitch when the company takes a stand against it....it is a lose lose for dish network

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)