OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I for one could care less about sports. I think a free market would resolve these issues.

1. Agreements between station a provider should never dictate what package the channels go in.

2. Customer should be able to pick programming by category, sports, family, kids, drama, action, etc.... (If certain programing is to expensive to be put into the base category it would go into a second tier add on)

3. Sporting events should not be exclusively sold on on channel only. A price should be set and all who pay it should be able to carry the game.

I for one could care less about sports. I think a free market would resolve these issues.

1. Agreements between station a provider should never dictate what package the channels go in.

2. Customer should be able to pick programming by category, sports, family, kids, drama, action, etc.... (If certain programing is to expensive to be put into the base category it would go into a second tier add on)

3. Sporting events should not be exclusively sold on on channel only. A price should be set and all who pay it should be able to carry the game.

1. the provider wants the low tier to increase possible viewers, and ad revenue
2. this is called alacarte :)
3. talk to the leagues that allow this. its why directv has exclusive nfl ticket. all the other league packeges are half the price for 10x the games

1. the provider wants the low tier to increase possible viewers, and ad revenue
2. this is called alacarte :)
3. talk to the leagues that allow this. its why directv has exclusive nfl ticket. all the other league packeges are half the price for 10x the games

I am simply saying that if regulation existed that encouraged a consumer driven free market, instead of a monopolized one that we have now we would not have these issues as much.

23 days and counting ... can you say: The Fleecing of Corporate America against Corporate America? I've been thinking about D* but don't want them installing more cable and satellites in/on my house. Seriously thinking about switching to my local cable company (US Cable) ... UGH. But I already have Internet through them and digital phone, maybe they'll give me a deal for TV too. Tivo, here we come! :)

Bye, bye Dish Network. Cable TV installer (US Cable) comes on Wed. morning to set us up. No contract, reduced price for the first 9 months, then a bit more than Dish for comparable channels. They have dual-tuner DVRs but not multi-room (like E*) nor whole house (like D*). We'll try it for awhile and hopefully the dispute gets settled within 9 months and we can go back to Dish. Or something Internet (like a-la-carte as someone mentioned) will take over (Google TV?) and we can skip the satellite business all together.

:)

I am simply saying that if regulation existed that encouraged a consumer driven free market, instead of a monopolized one that we have now we would not have these issues as much.

actually satellite is a free market, it can be installed anywhere, cable is the monoply
if people left the cable companies for sat they might get the idea

well ok, renters may have an issue

and yo cant regulate and be a free market, its called DE-regulation

It is all about the money. However you get the programming delivered you are going to pay and pay. Look at the news today. The networks are pulling back from supplying their programming to Google TV. Highlights only then perhaps after a few months past episodes. Their stated reason, they want to be paid however you get their programming.

The cable companies saw that the real power and profits come from owning the programming and not the pipeline.

If Fox hangs tough you can expect the other networks to hang tough and demand to be paid a lot more. How much can they get? I don't receive any locals or networks in my 120+ package. Dish gives me $5.00 off the package price, but I then have to pay $3.49 for each network I subscribe to in HD after paying for a waiver.

Jim

Bye, bye Dish Network. Cable TV installer (US Cable) comes on Wed. morning to set us up. No contract, reduced price for the first 9 months, then a bit more than Dish for comparable channels. They have dual-tuner DVRs but not multi-room (like E*) nor whole house (like D*). We'll try it for awhile and hopefully the dispute gets settled within 9 months and we can go back to Dish. Or something Internet (like a-la-carte as someone mentioned) will take over (Google TV?) and we can skip the satellite business all together.

:)

Yeah except that ABC, CBS, and NBC, along with HULU are blocking their content from GoogleTV. Glad I didn't waste that $179-$300 yet.
Major networks blocked web tv shows from google tv - eBrandz Search Marketing & Technology News

It is all about the money. However you get the programming delivered you are going to pay and pay. Look at the news today. The networks are pulling back from supplying their programming to Google TV. Highlights only then perhaps after a few months past episodes. Their stated reason, they want to be paid however you get their programming.

The cable companies saw that the real power and profits come from owning the programming and not the pipeline.

If Fox hangs tough you can expect the other networks to hang tough and demand to be paid a lot more. How much can they get? I don't receive any locals or networks in my 120+ package. Dish gives me $5.00 off the package price, but I then have to pay $3.49 for each network I subscribe to in HD after paying for a waiver.

Jim

not to mention all the people that lack high speed internet and therefore cannot do googletv

This dispute provides a nice preview for what will happen if the NBC / Universal merger is approved. One only has to look to the owners to see why Fox is picking a fight with E*. D* is owned by Fox. Therefore, D* will never face this problem. The comments here all show that fear of loosing channels makes people switch to other providers. By controlling the fear, Fox is indirectly pushing customers to D*. Even if they eventually settle for a lower price, the damage is already done, hundreds or thousands of people have dropped E* for a multi-year contract with D*.

The regulation argument is one that left the building for this situation. Regulators had an opportunity to deny the sale of D* to Fox. They had the opportunity to put conditions on the merger (i.e. require a la carte pricing of networks), but they chose not to. There's a new FCC in town than the one that decided to allow this merger. However, they can only act when there's a matter before them (i.e. license renewal, merger, new spectrum). Congress is the only one who can help with this issue, but it's so far down on their radar that we'll be lucky to have it addressed before broadcast becomes obsolete.

What can we do? We can sit back and take it, We can fight with our wallets, or we can start a new revolution. Personally, I'll be looking into limited basic service from my cable company (i.e. Broadcast only for $12) and wait things out. Dish has generally had better technology and more choices than anyone else. While the disruptions are a minor annoyance, they're still the closest thing consumers have to being an advocate. After all, Charlie Ergan couldn't do Undercover Boss like Mike White. That says something positive to me directly.

danm2z said:
This dispute provides a nice preview for what will happen if the NBC / Universal merger is approved. One only has to look to the owners to see why Fox is picking a fight with E*. D* is owned by Fox. Therefore, D* will never face this problem.
Start with an incorrect assumption, and it can only go downhill from there...

NewsCorp, nor any of its subsidiaries, own any part of DirecTV. It could even be stated in reverse: Fox might have wanted to pick a fight with Dish Network a few years back, but could not as NewsCorp was under binding arbitration orders if a dispute occurred.

Start with an incorrect assumption, and it can only go downhill from there...

NewsCorp, nor any of its subsidiaries, own any part of DirecTV. It could even be stated in reverse: Fox might have wanted to pick a fight with Dish Network a few years back, but could not as NewsCorp was under binding arbitration orders if a dispute occurred.

Correct, but at one time newscorp did own a piece of direct.

Someone needs to put a sticky on who are the owners of DirecTv... It might cut down on a lot of needless appending.

Every 20 or 30 pages of this volumous thread someone states that Fox owns D*. Its never stated as they use to have a share rather they are still the owners. Then there are the ususal corrections adding still to this argument.

For a simple history of D* DirecTV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When Fox pulls the o/o stations most likely 11/1 this thread size... yikes! :D

Interesting chart that shows just how much money is at stake in the Fox/Cablevision and Fox/Dish disputes. It is amazing that subscribers pay $4.08 per month for 1 channel (ESPN) that is watched on average 1 minute per day. By 2017, Wells Fargo Securities estimates that retrans consent for all broadcast networks will hit $4.6 billion...wow.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/photos/stylus/155629-RtransLO.pdf

Interesting. But that is not "minutes", that "millions" as in ratings.

Interesting chart that shows just how much money is at stake in the Fox/Cablevision and Fox/Dish disputes. It is amazing that subscribers pay $4.08 per month for 1 channel (ESPN) that is watched on average 1 minute per day. By 2017, Wells Fargo Securities estimates that retrans consent for all broadcast networks will hit $4.6 billion...wow.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/photos/stylus/155629-RtransLO.pdf

Another source on the slide lists the cost of ESPN at $4.40 and the top ten RSNs cost on average $2.51.

Jim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts