OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Chances of Losing Fox News Comes November 1st?

For me, not having Fox News on Election Day is unacceptable. What do you think of the chances Fox News will be gone November 1st? Should I cancel Dish outright while there's still time to get a different provider? Thanks for your responses!

Yesterday I tried watching SOA on the internet. I went to the FX site first. That site only had episodes 1-3 of the new season. These were the 3 episodes I seen right before Fox pulled their channels. So then I went to Hula.com and they only had the same 3 episodes, but they had posted that future episodes would not be available until sometime in December!
Do you have a decent download speed? Try torrent files. Since FX went offline this is how I do Sons of Anarchy and Terriers. Yes its a PIA when all you want to do is watch a show you're paying for already... I've already seen SoA and Terriers for this week complete with DD5.1 sound on my plasma and AV system. Yes you have to invest some time but the quality was worth it.

In case you are slow in reading the business pages News Corp aka "Fox network"no longer owns DirecTV. they haven't owned it now for a number of years. Liberty Media now owns DirecTv.
Don't bother. It's been said again and again. At least we can identify the special education candidates.
They are still somewhat intertwined with Liberty Media owning several of the Fox Sports RSN's.
Again...

DirecTV is a stand-alone company. Liberty Media may own about 3 percent of the stock, but no longer has any management decisions at DirecTV. As matter of fact, DirecTV owns the three FSN RSN's and GameShow Network, which they picked up from Liberty When Liberty Media merged the programming operations into DirecTV.

The chance is ZERO since the Fox News Channels is not one of the ones that may be removed on the 1st.

The only ones that might be removed are Fox owned and operated local stations from around the country. Fox News & Fox Business will remain where they are. :)

I hope you sleep better now. :D

But this doesn't work with the 922, right? The 922 says it needs some sort of "module" for the antenna connection to work. So you have to buy something to connect the antenna to the OTA antenna port on the 922? I don't understand what this "module" is or does. Can anyone explain the 922 OTA antenna connection to me compared to the 722? I might need this come Nov 1.

the 'k' series receivers require an ota modulator to receive and input ota channells into the guide and for dvr functionallity. previous vip models had this built in. its really neat, and worth the $30 or whaterver dish charges for it these days. its easy to intstall remove 2 screws and plug it in. dish will send you one. maybe even for free once the local fox channel is gone.
im using one now, and it basically provides a 3rd tuner. record from ota and both of the other tuners at the same time. neat. un fortunately i cant receive fox, because their signal is far too weak. i get the all other networks.

Still No Deals in Fox Talks With Cablevision, Dish - The Hollywood Reporter

Meanwhile, Fox is continuing talks with satellite TV provider Dish Network, which has been without some Fox cable and regional sports networks since the beginning of the month. Dish also is in danger of losing broadcast signals as its retrans deal with Fox expires at the end of the month.
The two companies wouldn't characterize the state of their talks Thursday.
According to industry chatter, Dish CEO Charlie Ergen is expected back this week from a trip to the Himalayas. While Dish had said its negotiation team is fully functional even with Ergen out of the country, it will be interesting to see what impact his return has on the Fox talks.

Uhhhhh this is sort of interesting, I wonder what his satellite phone bill looks like this month?

Collect call from a Mr. Ergen in the Himalayas, will you accept the charges?

Again...

DirecTV is a stand-alone company. Liberty Media may own about 3 percent of the stock, but no longer has any management decisions at DirecTV. As matter of fact, DirecTV owns the three FSN RSN's and GameShow Network, which they picked up from Liberty When Liberty Media merged the programming operations into DirecTV.

John Malone still pulls the strings at directv

So they are suing for serious harm caused by missing Fox News? Fox News must have already caused irreversible brain damage, because FOX NEWS IS STILL ON CABLEVISION AND IS NOT PART OF THE DISPUTE! How can people be so dumb? If someone is going to sue, they should at least turn on the TV first to confirm whether they have a case or not.

The real irony is with Fox locals gone, lefty shows like Glee and The Simpsons are the ones that people can't watch anymore, not Fox News. Unbelievable.

Speaking of Glee, ratings fell like a rock in NY thanks to the feud, while they went up everywhere else. Maybe they'll think twice before pulling their top show from millions more homes.

Fox should be sued, not Cablevision. The Cablevision contract is probably like Dish and states they can drop or change channels offered at any time. This case is just a publicity stunt that will get thrown out the second a judge actually reads the contract.

Full story on MediaDailyNews

I think you answered your own question...they are Fox News Viewers. Nuff said! :D

Ghpr13:)

Do you have a decent download speed? Try torrent files. Since FX went offline this is how I do Sons of Anarchy and Terriers. Yes its a PIA when all you want to do is watch a show you're paying for already... I've already seen SoA and Terriers for this week complete with DD5.1 sound on my plasma and AV system. Yes you have to invest some time but the quality was worth it.

Thanks!
Ghpr13:)

I swapped to Dish a year ago, but I still pay for high speed cable internet and I split my cable co. cable into my HDTV last night...wahla...I get the entire digital tier of around 100 channels, my RSNs, plus the major networks in HD...to include FOX. I don't get the HD tier anymore, may need the box for that? So long OTA...at least for now.

What kind of DVR can I use with this?

Now...why does my brand new OTA antenna not pick up all the channels. It's the new Antenna Pros AX-903 sitting atop a 2O' mast on a hill 30-40 miles away from the towers. I was getting 29 channels after I put it up. We had that storm a couple days ago and the signal weakened in the rain...and a lot of the channels haven't come back to include NBC, CBS and Fox after only a few days of use. I still get ABC, PBS and some religious channels etc... :confused:

Sweeps..

Its been awhile since I last checked here, so if this has been disscused already please forgive me.

But...

How could FOX even consider pulling there network from Dish during the November sweeps period when upcoming commercial rates are decided? And also along those same lines, how much pressure is being exerted on current advertisers (such as Chevrolet with the World Series and Coca Cola with American Idol) to end the impass? It would seem to me that advertisers have more at stake than subscribers, because their message is not, or will not be, getting to the consumer.:confused:

Dish vs. Fox: Local Blackout Likely Monday
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (October 29, 2010) -- Dish Network and Fox still seem far apart in fee negotiations that could lead to the satellite TV service losing the right to carry local Fox stations on Monday.

If Dish can not sign a new agreement with Fox, its subscribers could lose access to the final three games of the World Series (games 5-7, if necessary) as well as popular primetime hits such as Glee and Fringe.

Cablevision was forced to pull local Fox affiliates on October 15 in a similar dispute with Fox. The channels are still off the air and both sides appear dubious regarding a quick resolution.

Bloomberg News reports that Wall Street analysts say that Dish Network will likely take a hard line in the negotiations because it can least afford to pay higher fees to carry Fox's channels. With stiff competition from DIRECTV and other TV providers, Dish needs to keep subscriber costs low to stay competitive.

However, as it has demonstrated with Cablevision, Fox is also likely to be insistent that Dish meet its demands.
“Fox is absolutely determined to force this through," one Wall Street analyst told Bloomberg.

Dish has a history of pulling channels off the air in fee fights. Earlier this year, the satcaster took four Disney HD channels off the air when it couldn't get a new agreement with Disney. The channels are still off.

And Dish removed the Fox-owned FX, National Geographic Channel and 19 regional Fox sports channels on October 1 when the two sides failed to reach an agreement in a separate negotiation. Those channels are also still off the air.

If Dish and Fox fail to reach a new pact for the local channels -- and the Fox/Cablevision fight continues -- that would mean roughly 17 million viewers would be without Fox local channels starting Monday. Dish Network has more than 14 million subscribers while Cablevision has about three million.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)