OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

This whole situation is being propagated by one main driving force. SPORTS. FOX wants a bigger piece of the sports pie and right now ESPN rules the roost. The NFL alone has garnered over a Billion Dollars from various networks including Monday Night Football on ESPN. FOX wants some of that money. Sports broadcasts are a known value to the networks, no risk, especially college football and Pro sports. NBA on TNT and TBS, College football on FSN's and several ESPN's as well as the major networks. Local NHL, MLB, NBA, college football and basketball on the FSN's. It's a gold mine without the risk of new half hour and one hour shows, with new ones offered every year. Several have already gone bust (Outlaws etc), costing the networks lots of money. Sports = BIG reward and minimal RISK. For everything you like to watch on TV, sports is the engine that drives the bus.

Excellent post. This is why I support Fox. If they dont get the revenue needed ESPN will mop up the floor and there wont be any sports worth watching for us using OTA.

Yesterday I tried watching SOA on the internet. I went to the FX site first. That site only had episodes 1-3 of the new season. These were the 3 episodes I seen right before Fox pulled their channels. So then I went to Hula.com and they only had the same 3 episodes, but they had posted that future episodes would not be available until sometime in December!

I PM KAB, cause I know he's a big SOA fan, and he gave me a website to go to, this website listed episodes 1-8, but when I clicked on one of the links to view episode #4 (or any episode), I would be directed to either a PPV site, or a site that said "This content has been removed".

I've PM KAB again to see if he knows what's up. I starting to wonder if Fox is screwing around with SOA being online, so they can increase the pressure to get what they want by blocking SOA online (or really delaying it's posting of new episodes). I've haven't heard back from KAB yet.

Either something is going on or I really lost a lot of brain cells recently!

Ghpr13:confused:

Direct tv owns part of the fox network, and all the big big cities like ny etc will loose their local fox channels on nov 1 that subscribe to dish. Minneapolis will not loose theirs as it is not big enough or has enough dish customers. It is a ploy for direct tv to take away most of the business of dish network. check and see, direct tv did not have to pay a 55% increase for fox. big business will play its trump card and if enough of you fall for it, dish will loose 1000,s of customers. I checked and direct tv is ready to convert me in one day if I want. bull, as long as I can watch bones and house I am happy. I hate big business and will support the underdog.

This did come to me from an informed dish employee that i can;t reveal.

Yesterday I tried watching SOA on the internet. I went to the FX site first. That site only had episodes 1-3 of the new season. These were the 3 episodes I seen right before Fox pulled their channels. So then I went to Hula.com and they only had the same 3 episodes, but they had posted that future episodes would not be available until sometime in December!

I PM KAB, cause I know he's a big SOA fan, and he gave me a website to go to, this website listed episodes 1-8, but when I clicked on one of the links to view episode #4 (or any episode), I would be directed to either a PPV site, or a site that said "This content has been removed".

I've PM KAB again to see if he knows what's up. I starting to wonder if Fox is screwing around with SOA being online, so they can increase the pressure to get what they want by blocking SOA online (or really delaying it's posting of new episodes). I've haven't heard back from KAB yet.

Either something is going on or I really lost a lot of brain cells recently!

Ghpr13:confused:

Seriously? They have only the last 3 episodes that DISH also had and not any more? Wow. That sounds really fishy to me.

EDIT: Oh wait.... I just remembered... you know who partially owns Hulu? News Corp. Collusion!!! :)drink)

DAMN. didnt work. i threw a splitter on the internet line (charter) and yes i got about 80 cable channels, but they were so fuzzy it wasnt worth watching. i thought, being an internet signal it might be overpowered, so i threw an attenuator in the line and this killed it completely. so maybe it needs to be amped.
is this because its not an hd tv with digital tuner?
but...if i have to go through that forget it, ill just go shell out $50 for a high powered antenna and cross my fingers it will pick up fox's super crappy ota.

If you run the cable into your TV with a digital tuner you will be able to tune any analog or digital channels which are not encrypted.

The digital channels will not be on the channel number where you were used to seeing them as the cable company probably used digital mapping so a channel you used to see on 14 might now come in on 36.9.

Jim
All of my locals come in on their corresponding channel numbers

Excellent post. This is why I support Fox. If they dont get the revenue needed ESPN will mop up the floor and there wont be any sports worth watching for us using OTA.

But if you want to charge a subscription fee for your channel, become a cable channel! An OTA network will ALWAYS have more viewers than a cable channel for the simple fact that people don't have to pay extra to watch it AND they are more visible in local markets. If your marketing department cannot capitalize on this advantage, you need a new marketing department. And ESPN couldn't pull squat until it partnered with ABC (Disney), who can use their increased viewership to pull in higher dollars (hey, we'll put your local college team on ABC on Saturday night instead of on ESPN, who will have the out of market game instead!). If Fox can't market the NFL and NASCAR, they are complete morons.

In case you are slow in reading the business pages News Corp aka "Fox network"no longer owns DirecTV. they haven't owned it now for a number of years. Liberty Media now owns DirecTv.

In case you are slow in reading the business pages News Corp aka "Fox network"no longer owns DirecTV. they haven't owned it now for a number of years. Liberty Media now owns DirecTv.

Don't bother. It's been said again and again. At least we can identify the special education candidates.

DAMN. didnt work. i threw a splitter on the internet line (charter) and yes i got about 80 cable channels, but they were so fuzzy it wasnt worth watching..

They put a filter on your line where it comes off the master line at the pole. That filter determines what you can receive.

exactly what i was planning to do but i have charter. not sure if it will work.

AND i wonder if its possible to scan these in through ota and record.

You can DVR the OTA signal through the VIP722. I did a test DVR with the movie "Out of Time" with Denzel Washington, which was on the sub-channel called This last week. In Boston it's on WHDH 7-2 (NBC Affiliate-Sunbeam Owned). Another bright side is that if you are Recording two shows at the same time on channels that you receive through Dish Network, you can watch channels that you receive OTA without disrupting the recording.

Edit

As I said before, the cable signal doesn't work using the VIP722. I believe that's because cable actually places these locals on higher channel numbers, beyond channel 69, and uses a form of PSIP to put them on their virtual channel numbers. The VIP722 only attempts to pick up to channel 69 including the use of PSIP.

Last edited:
Cablevision Sued For Blocked Fox Channels . . .

. . . Cablevision's now facing a class action lawsuit from customers angry that Cablevision hasn't doled out refunds for the blocked Fox channels. The lawsuit, which is asking for a whopping $450 million, claims the blockade constitutes a Cablevision breach of contract, and that customers are seriously harmed by missing Fox's "distinctive viewpoint in the political speech arena... just days before a critical mid-term election.". . .

The full story and comments on BBR.

So they are suing for serious harm caused by missing Fox News? Fox News must have already caused irreversible brain damage, because FOX NEWS IS STILL ON CABLEVISION AND IS NOT PART OF THE DISPUTE! How can people be so dumb? If someone is going to sue, they should at least turn on the TV first to confirm whether they have a case or not.

The real irony is with Fox locals gone, lefty shows like Glee and The Simpsons are the ones that people can't watch anymore, not Fox News. Unbelievable.

Speaking of Glee, ratings fell like a rock in NY thanks to the feud, while they went up everywhere else. Maybe they'll think twice before pulling their top show from millions more homes.

Fox should be sued, not Cablevision. The Cablevision contract is probably like Dish and states they can drop or change channels offered at any time. This case is just a publicity stunt that will get thrown out the second a judge actually reads the contract.

Full story on MediaDailyNews

Last edited:
. . . Cablevision's now facing a class action lawsuit from customers angry that Cablevision hasn't doled out refunds for the blocked Fox channels. The lawsuit, which is asking for a whopping $450 million, claims the blockade constitutes a Cablevision breach of contract, and that customers are seriously harmed by missing Fox's "distinctive viewpoint in the political speech arena... just days before a critical mid-term election.". . .

I see the refund point, if I'm not paying for a channel or being supplied a replacement, then why am I feeding the provider's piggy bank to support this discontinued charge. But, I don't understand how Cablevision or Dish (as of Monday thus far) is harming any political viewpoint. This smells of the crazy greedy bitch who claimed that she needed to be compensated for seeing Janet Jackson's boob during the Superbowl 38 half time show. Seriously, Cablevision isn't required by law to carry FOX for its political agenda. Thanks for this post, I love reading these stories no matter how much my head feels like a spray paint can with its rattle when I read them.

You can DVR the OTA signal through the VIP722. I did a test DVR with the movie "Out of Time" with Denzel Washington, which was on the sub-channel called This last week. In Boston it's on WHDH 7-2 (NBC Affiliate-Sunbeam Owned). Another bright side is that if you are Recording two shows at the same time on channels that you receive through Dish Network, you can watch channels that you receive OTA without disrupting the recording.

Edit

As I said before, the cable signal doesn't work using the VIP722. I believe that's because cable actually places these locals on higher channel numbers, beyond channel 69, and uses a form of PSIP to put them on their virtual channel numbers. The VIP722 only attempts to pick up to channel 69 including the use of PSIP.

But this doesn't work with the 922, right? The 922 says it needs some sort of "module" for the antenna connection to work. So you have to buy something to connect the antenna to the OTA antenna port on the 922? I don't understand what this "module" is or does. Can anyone explain the 922 OTA antenna connection to me compared to the 722? I might need this come Nov 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts