Official East Coast Snow Storm Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A whopping 6 1/2 inches 50 miles south of DC...just enough to cancel schools tomorrow, I'm sure. I managed to shovel the drive, walkways, pickup donuts & coffee, and return back to the house by 8:30am. I grew up in Michigan and I'm always amazed at how a few inches of snow will cripple this area.

boston area dtv said:
Dragon its the lightest snow ever made...ever ever. Its like dust. Meteoroligists are talking about the snow have very low water content.
But it is still back breaking if you have a sidewalk and a driveway. And if it is a wet snow it isn't that light.

About 4 inches here in the Smokey Mountains of NC.

I saw the sun out earlier and thought that it was all over then an hour later I see that the snow is really coming down once again. I heard them say on television that some people did get two feet of snow along the coast. They have done an excellent job at keeping the main roads clear here. We had 1 1/2 inches of snow on the ground yesterday evening and we have two inches of snow on the ground now so we did not get much. We usually do not get much in the valley unless one of thoese east coast snow storms hit just right but we was just on the outside edge of the storm.

Was supposed to haul mail from DC at midnight to the Bronx Nyc last night returning to DC at 10:30 this morning. It was my call and told my boss no way. I would be traveling up 95 and the Jersey Pike right durring the worst part of the storm and arriving in Nyc (if I got there at all) right when the blizzard conditons were supposed to start around 4am, and leave for DC at 5am. Got 12+inches on my deck here in MD with about 1/4 inch on the whole surface of my 3lnb dish. No sig probs at all and OTA was fine too. Columbia, which is just a few miles west of me got 21+ inches! Amazing how just a few miles can make such a big difference.----Ray

Now they are saying that this is the second biggest snowfall in history for New York City and it is still snowing there. It could end up being the biggest snowfall in history for New York City. They currently have 22.8 inches as of 10:00 AM EST. It would take 26.5 inches to break the record. Below are the top 5 snowstorms in history for New York City

(1) 26.4" Dec 26-27 1947
(2) 22.8" Feb 11-12 2006 (AS OF 10 AM EST FEB 12 2006) Probably More Than This Now
(3) 20.9" Mar 11-13 1888
(4) 20.2" Jan 07-08 1996
(5) 19.8" Feb 16-17 2003

Source - The Weather Channel - Feb 12 2006 - 2:53 PM EST

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts