OFFICIAL External Storage Information

If you can't delete the filesystem is corrupted somehow. Sounds like you need to restore the content to the 622 then wipe and reformat the external drive. or just consider it a "permanent" storage device as you said.

I agree.
Pick up another 500 gigger. You'll need it eventually anyway. Move the content and reformat the first.

These problems may be caused by touchy USB communication. Hopefully E* will look into this and add some checks to the storage system.

In Single Mode, you don't need anything special, the RF remote works fine.

Thanks. This worked for my set up. Am now using my rf remote with my usb drive! Thanks all.

Is there a way to collapse the directory structure to title folders, like there is with the internal drive? Is there a way to blend my do drives, so that when I surf content it is all listed together? When I am surfing, I don't care where the content lives. Only when transferring. It would be great to see all titles in the same list, and condensed to title folders.

At anyrate, thanks again for the tips!

Thanks. This worked for my set up. Am now using my rf remote with my usb drive! Thanks all.

Is there a way to collapse the directory structure to title folders, like there is with the internal drive? Is there a way to blend my do drives, so that when I surf content it is all listed together? When I am surfing, I don't care where the content lives. Only when transferring. It would be great to see all titles in the same list, and condensed to title folders.

At anyrate, thanks again for the tips!
All great suggestions but so far we can't do those things yet. Let's hope they add these organization features in!

How do i transfer recorded tv shows to my pc so i can back them up to dvd. I've contacted tech support several time with no help at all. They say only the software developers know anything technical about the file formats and such. I did a test recording and then tried to hook the drive to my pc and it didn't see anything on the drive. Seems like Windows changes the file stucture cause when hook it back up to my 622 it reformats it. I don't want to keep buying more and more drives when I can make back ups cheaply with dvd-r's. please help and sorry if this has been covered already i just found this site today.

How do i transfer recorded tv shows to my pc so i can back them up to dvd. I've contacted tech support several time with no help at all. They say only the software developers know anything technical about the file formats and such. I did a test recording and then tried to hook the drive to my pc and it didn't see anything on the drive. Seems like Windows changes the file stucture cause when hook it back up to my 622 it reformats it. I don't want to keep buying more and more drives when I can make back ups cheaply with dvd-r's. please help and sorry if this has been covered already i just found this site today.
The files are encrypted and as you found out tied to the drive as controlled by the receiver. It would do you no good to transfer anything to a dvd, and, as a side note, dvd+/-r disks because of their organic composition will not last as long as a hard drive would. Recordable dvds are quoted to last 50 years but that is the disk, not the recorded data. Many places do not accept recordable dvds as an authorized archival method.

The files are encrypted and as you found out tied to the drive as controlled by the receiver. It would do you no good to transfer anything to a dvd, and, as a side note, dvd+/-r disks because of their organic composition will not last as long as a hard drive would. Recordable dvds are quoted to last 50 years but that is the disk, not the recorded data. Many places do not accept recordable dvds as an authorized archival method.

HDDs are expensive and take up a lot more space than a dvd and what happens if it fails. plus i can play the dvds on other tvs that are not connected to receiver with the usb drive. why don't they let us network the receivers and play the files on any reciever in my home. even with that feature i'd still like the option to put the files on dvd for safe keeping whatever the lifespan of the data i'm sure it's enough for the average person

From what I understand they are working on the possibility of networking receivers as well as allowing unlimited moves of the external hard drive to all of the 622/722's in your home.

We have only had the EXTHD for a little more than a month, give them some time and I think we will see more usability.

As far as DVD-R's are concerned, I don't see the point. A lot of the single files I have on my "movies" hard drive wouldn't even fit on dvd.

dual layer disks hold 8gb, none of the shows i record are larger than that. my main concern is that hdds can and will fail and we can't even back up the contents of the ext hdd anywhere like to another hdd.

I guess you don't record many HD movies then?

The Black Dahlia - 9822mb
Jarhead - 8921mb
Mission Impossible III - 9875mb
Matrix Revolutions - 11522mb
Willie Nelson Live - 9724mb

I guess you don't record many HD movies then?

The Black Dahlia - 9822mb
Jarhead - 8921mb
Mission Impossible III - 9875mb
Matrix Revolutions - 11522mb
Willie Nelson Live - 9724mb

i don't have any movie channels so i don't record much as far as movies. i don't watch a lot of movies and i buy them on hd dvd if i want them.

Yea, I got you there.

The ExtHD + HBO/SHOW/HDNET keeps me from wanting an HD-DVD too bad.

But I do have the bug. Maybe on black friday...

Yea, I got you there.

The ExtHD + HBO/SHOW/HDNET keeps me from wanting an HD-DVD too bad.

But I do have the bug. Maybe on black friday...

i have the xbox ext drive hooked up to my pc and it's nice especially now that's it's only $179.00 and i think you get 5 movies free. well worth the price but ur pc has to meet some specific specs.

You probably will spend same money if will buy HD DVD with the movies. ;)

i already have the hd dvd and i paid only paid $150 for it off ebay. i just bought it to have one and i only have 9 movies for it after 8 months. Most of those movies again from ebay no more than $15 a piece, i'm not a big movie buff.

I've now scanned about 20 pages of this thread and searched as well, but I can't find the actual post stating what I'm about to write below. So don't quote me! But all corrections are welcome. :)

I thought you could use ext2fsd to read the disk structure on Windows, and then copy on/off the folders for individual shows to your heart's content. So, even though you can't play them on the PC, nor produce a DVD video disk for playback anywhere because the ts file is encrypted, nevertheless you should be able to copy the data as data off or back onto the drive.

This should answer ncinsguy's original question about archiving programs elsewhere than the 722-formatted external drive.

I've now scanned about 20 pages of this thread and searched as well, but I can't find the actual post stating what I'm about to write below. So don't quote me! But all corrections are welcome. :)

I thought you could use ext2fsd to read the disk structure on Windows, and then copy on/off the folders for individual shows to your heart's content. So, even though you can't play them on the PC, nor produce a DVD video disk for playback anywhere because the ts file is encrypted, nevertheless you should be able to copy the data as data off or back onto the drive.

This should answer ncinsguy's original question about archiving programs elsewhere than the 722-formatted external drive.

after i made a test recording i hooked the ext hdd to my xp pc and it didn't see anything on it. i ran a recovery program on it also and it found some text files after over 24 hrs of searching. note 500gb ext hdd and after 24hr it was about 1/2 way done.

after i made a test recording i hooked the ext hdd to my xp pc and it didn't see anything on it.
Right. Plain-vanilla Windows shouldn't show you anything on the disk since it uses a foreign file system. If you let Windows do anything, it's liable to reinit the disk using it's own file system, and blowing away your Dish programs in the process.

You have to install software that provides Linux ext2/ext3 file system capabilities to Windows before you can do anything productive with your Dish EHD.

Right. Plain-vanilla Windows shouldn't show you anything on the disk since it uses a foreign file system. If you let Windows do anything, it's liable to reinit the disk using it's own file system, and blowing away your Dish programs in the process.

You have to install software that provides Linux ext2/ext3 file system capabilities to Windows before you can do anything productive with your Dish EHD.
makes sense so what are these programs?