OFFICIAL External Storage Information

Format drive for the 2nd time?

I formatted a 500G drive about a month ago, and put about 400G of movies on it (worked fine). Got busy with other stuff and came back in a week. 622 says the drive must be formatted. Turned off external drive and gave it a week. It still says drive needs to be formatted. This will not go away like the old 'need to pay before you can use' message.

I know i used the drive since being upgraded from 441 to 444, and i don't think anything strange has happened to either the external drive or the 622.

Does anyone know if there is a non-destructive way to 'format' the drive so the movies won't get erased? Or are they completely lost and i should just reformat and start saving again?

tia

A post over on DishRip states that the owner's 625 firmware now has the external disk feature enabled. Is this true? I thought I read numerous posts in this thread stating that would never happen.

I was not planning on using external storage but now I am. There is just so much HD to record. The Painkiller Jane marathon just to up to much room with all the network shows starting.

I searched and could not find if there is anyway to use folders or other sort orders on the USB storage.

Thanks,
Ken

Am I just missing it, or did I imagine there was a thread listing the HDD brands people were using successfully and those that were having some issues? I am gonna add external storage, but want it to be reliable obviously. Any advice on brand? I assume to be safe I should still just use 750 gig?

Am I just missing it, or did I imagine there was a thread listing the HDD brands people were using successfully and those that were having some issues? I am gonna add external storage, but want it to be reliable obviously. Any advice on brand? I assume to be safe I should still just use 750 gig?
I'm going to bump it.

EHD Stays ON................or OFF?

I have read around this thread about keeping the external on and making sure that it doesn't stay on.
I just installed a WD MyBook 750GB on my 722. The green light stays on, but the disk stops spinning when not in use. (I put my ear to the thing and can't hear the disk). The electrical stuff inside can be heard, but not the spinning disk.
Is this sufficient to keep it this way, or should I unplug the power line from the back of the unit everytime I'm not using it? How do I tell if the disk is not running when I unplug it?
I have a Denon Surround system ( AVR-1804 ) that has switched plugins on the back side. This is hooked to the 722 for surround sound.
Should I plug the EHD into that, and everytime I turn on the sound system, the EHD comes on?
I just don't want to fry the external before it's time.

All comments will be appreciated.
Thank You:

Lyle

I have read around this thread about keeping the external on and making sure that it doesn't stay on.
I just installed a WD MyBook 750GB on my 722. The green light stays on, but the disk stops spinning when not in use. (I put my ear to the thing and can't hear the disk). The electrical stuff inside can be heard, but not the spinning disk.
Is this sufficient to keep it this way, or should I unplug the power line from the back of the unit everytime I'm not using it? How do I tell if the disk is not running when I unplug it?
I have a Denon Surround system ( AVR-1804 ) that has switched plugins on the back side. This is hooked to the 722 for surround sound.
Should I plug the EHD into that, and everytime I turn on the sound system, the EHD comes on?
I just don't want to fry the external before it's time.

All comments will be appreciated.
Thank You:

Lyle

Use the power button, inside the green light circle.

I tried to shut it off, but the pushing inside the green circle does not do a thing. All it does is wobble the inside of the circle.
Sorry about it not working, but, I tried.

Lyle

I tried to shut it off, but the pushing inside the green circle does not do a thing. All it does is wobble the inside of the circle.
Sorry about it not working, but, I tried.

Lyle

Yeh, I've read some Newegg reviews about that. Design flaw. They are selling off that model now. Next one will hopefully work correctly.

Yeh, I've read some Newegg reviews about that. Design flaw. They are selling off that model now. Next one will hopefully work correctly.

Can you link the review from Newegg? I was just there and couldn't find it. What I was trying to find out is what is taking it's place.
Might look around for a replacement if I have trouble with the one I have.

Lyle

I have a WD My Book external hard drive plugged in all the time but never connected to my vip622 until I want to play or archive something. When I connect the USB cable to the 622
the WD drive turns on and the green light turns on and blinks all the while it is receiving information. The entire drive and light turn off as soon as I disconnect the USB cable. There is never a need to push the center on/off button every time as long as you never connect the USB to the 622 until you intend to use it. A lot of problems can be avoided by doing this.

Can you link the review from Newegg? I was just there and couldn't find it. What I was trying to find out is what is taking it's place.
Might look around for a replacement if I have trouble with the one I have.

Lyle
There were a few comments in customer reviews. If you do buy another, don't get a WD or Seagate pre-built with their plastic cases and so-called on/off switches.

Errors On Transferring

Just got a Seagate 500 GB. No problem with installation. However when I try and transfer Planet Earth every other time it gives me an error. I have to discount drive and reconnect.

Is this a harddrive problem? A size problem in that only such can be transfered? An interface problem ? A DVR problem?

Anybody know what is going on here and what I can do about it?

Just got a Seagate 500 GB. No problem with installation. However when I try and transfer Planet Earth every other time it gives me an error. I have to discount drive and reconnect.

Is this a harddrive problem? A size problem in that only such can be transfered? An interface problem ? A DVR problem?

Anybody know what is going on here and what I can do about it?

This is a know compatibility problem between these Seagate drives and the 622/722 it has to do with the drives sleep mode. Here is link to a utility and instructions on disabling it. I also recommend plugging the drive into a switched power outlet such as on an A/V receiver so the drive doesn't run 24/7.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1010231-post356.html

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)