Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

I did not have time to pull off all of my recordings or timers. My wife is upset that we lost timers and recordings.

Did they installer take your old Hopper and/or all of your old remotes? If you still have any of your old remotes, they may have a backup of your timers stored in them to at least get those back!

We want to hear how about your ordering experience!
I was in the waiting list thread but when I saw the post last night saying it was best to call or chat, I decided to use the chat. I was upgrading from 2 Hopper w/Sling and 2 Joeys. Initially I was told $95 for the tech fee and free upgrade. I asked if the fee could be waived. I wasn't pushy or threatening to cancel. Just asked politely. After a couple of minutes, I was told that the fee would be waived.

We want to hear about your install how did it go?
It went great. Most of the time when an installer goes into my wiring room, they get freaked out. I have lots of network cables and tons of home automation wires. I have my Internet and land line phone from the local cable company. When they came out to hook up my Internet years ago, they didn't want to do the install. Called their office complaining. I finally convinced them to ignore the Home Automation stuff and just run the cable .
For this install he ignored the non Dish stuff and got to work.

We want to hear what the Techs did and upgraded at your house!
Hopper 3 and 3 Joey 2.0s. New dish, LNB and a very small hub. I was shocked at how small it is. When the installer went to get the receivers I took a peek in my wiring room. When I first saw the hub I thought it was a splitter and that he was going out to his van to get the hub.
Installed the new Dish and LNB, then started hooking up the Hopper 3. I was the first install for a Hopper 3 for him. He struggled a bit to find the Internet connection code but I couldn't fault him for that. The menus are different enough that I struggled later on to find out how to create folders. I was also told that he had to take 1 remote for each of the 4 receivers being returned. Fortunately I had 2 remotes already in my office and master bedroom. I was able to restore my timers and favorites from my office remote. I was very happy to see that the Joey in the master bedroom was able to restore the favorites list from a remote that had been paired to a hopper previously. So I ended up with the same number of remotes. 2 in the office and master bedroom. 1 in the living room and 1 in my daughters bedroom.

We want to hear your thoughts on the Hopper 3!
The obvious answer is No More recording conflicts. Last year while recording the KC Royals games I was constantly running into conflicts and both of the Joeys were connected to the other hopper. Still getting used to the navigation. I am totally sold on the Hoppers so the H3 is just going to make it more so. The remotes still control my TV and AV Receiver so I am happy with that. At first I was disappointed to see the DVD control missing but realized that I have not used that in over a year. All my Discs are ripped. I haven't had a chance to try out the Home Media on the Hopper 3. I used it a lot on the Hopper 2. Hopefully, it works at least as good on the H3 as on the H2.

We want to hear what you would change about the Hopper 3?
This is not a knock on Dish. It is a knock on the whole ugly, flat, 1 to 3 color icons. I absolutely hate that look, it is on my phone and now on my tv. My home automation software has put out an update that has changed the icons to the flat ugly disgusting icons. It seems to be the wave of the future but that wave has left me behind.
The one thing that I would really like to see changed is on the guide. Move the program info back to the top. I prefer to read text in a longer vs multiple short lines.

Did they installer take your old Hopper and/or all of your old remotes? If you still have any of your old remotes, they may have a backup of your timers stored in them to at least get those back!
Unfortunately, he took all the equipment with him.

During the install process, something with our Control 4 System got messed up. I am still trying to figure out the issue. I am thinking about ditching the Control 4 system anyway. It is finicky. Anyone have a suggestion for a universal remote system that works inside a cabinet? :)
I got this Harmony Smart Control App & Remote recently & am loving it. If you don't mind using your tablet & smartphone as a remote but it also comes with the pictured remote which is basic in function but one of the best feeling remotes I've ever experienced. It controls all your IR & Bluetooth based systems over your wifi so you can control your system from anywhere in the range of your wifi signal. It has an extender especially for cabinet based systems.

Attachments

• 1454294532714.jpg
    1454294532714.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 293
The coax was good, rg6, but he had to change the whole dish.
Thanks, that's what I like to hear. I'm assuming that you had that RG6 in there for quite some time, coming from a 622.
I can understand that some folks might like it or find it useful...I just hope they will add the option to turn it off for those of us that don't. ;)

My current workaround was to disable standby mode. At least that way I only have to deal with it once a day when turned on after the nightly reboot. Is it a big deal? No...just an unneeded (to me) annoyance.
What does disabling Standby Mode mean?

After the longest install on record, the guy just left. He got everything all set up and ready to go and none of the Joeys would download the software. He checked everything. It all said it was good. He changed everything outside. Still no Joey software. He checked the Dish database. He changed everything inside. I was feeling really bad for him. He called another installer. Finally out of desperation, he brought in a different Hopper. That was it. After that, everything finished up quickly.

What does disabling Standby Mode mean?

It just means that the system won't automatically go into standby mode after a period of inactivity. It will only go into standby if I specifically hit the power button on the remote, or when the nightly reboot kicks in. It can be set that way in the settings.

Also trying to get 5.1 audio from H3 HDMI to my 4K TV then optical out to my receiver. I turned DD on in the menu, but not luck. My blue ray is hooked up the same way and the 5.1 works fine.

First Sunday with no timer conflicts.

Why not run hdmi from H3 to receiver, then hdmi to TV, should pass DD without the need of optical. At least that is how I have mine set up (well an HWS) and I have DD.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk 2

He might still have a Receiver without HDMI like my Pioneer. That's why I have to use a HDMI/Optical switcher to DD. My TV does not pass through DD to it's optical out.

Why not run hdmi from H3 to receiver, then hdmi to TV, should pass DD without the need of optical. At least that is how I have mine set up (well an HWS) and I have DD.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk 2
What is Dolby pass through do?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

What is Dolby pass through do?

Basically when you would connect the H3 to your TV and then run an optical audio cable to your Audio receiver and the receiver would still play it as Dolby Digital 5.1. Older TV's like my 2011 Samsung don't do that. Mine just forwards stereo. Lots of newer TV's do pass through 5.1 DD

Basically when you would connect the H3 to your TV and then run an optical audio cable to your Audio receiver and the receiver would still play it as Dolby Digital 5.1. Older TV's like my 2011 Samsung don't do that. Mine just forwards stereo. Lots of newer TV's do pass through 5.1 DD
Cool. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)