Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
We want to hear how about your ordering experience!
Order went fine.. No problems and no charges to upgrade I had 2 hopper 2000 and one joey went to the 3 and 2 joeys.

We want to hear about your install how did it go?
Install went great. It was his first Hopper 3 install. I was a dish tech a few years ago. I remember the hopper 2000 sometimes taking 45 minutes to download. Hopper 3 was up and running in 30 minutes and Joeys in less then 10. Installer was great. we learned together on this.

We want to hear what the Techs did and upgraded at your house!
Tech just put a new LNB Took out the old duo node and set up receivers

We want to hear your thoughts on the Hopper 3!

So far so good. Have not had and of the little bugs a lot of people have been complaining about.And love how much faster everything is.. Also picture looks a lot better.

We want to hear what you would change about the Hopper 3?
Haven't got to play with it enough to say. Sure I will in a day or two.

I ordered mine using the chat feature. The agent was great, took his time answered all my questions before he asked me is I wanted to upgrade. He told me twice I would get the voice control remote with my upgrade but they are not available yet. I did verify with Dish that I will get one as soon as they are available. Anyone know a date?

The install went without any problems. The tech first changed out my LNB and then swapped out the node, a Hopper 1 and a Joey 1. He was able to transfer my timers after I asked him to.

I really like the new UI. It is much faster and intuitive. I'm starting to learn the new remote. The old one I could do most commands without looking.

As far as changes so far the only one is I wish when I turn on the Hopper it would come up on the last channel I watched instead of the Home page. But now that I have been using it a few days I'm starting to like the Home page. I do wish it was an option.

Waiting on my OTA tuner.

On my new hopper---occasionally when it is recording something--it seems to be over writing other previously recorded items with a new program....the icon shows the previously recorded item but the episode title is of the new item which is totally unrelated to that recording. Once it was done recording I unplugged the hopper and rebooted . then is was fine. This is totally odd and makes no sense. Any ideas? Oh and if you try to play the original recordings all you get is the new unrelated recording.

NewWe want to hear how about your ordering experience?
Easy as could be took about 30 mins on the first day they were released.

Install really annoying, first had an appointment on Sunday the day after the hopper was released. However the guy that was supposed to come and install it kept pushing it back until it was 7:30 at night, when I finally cancelled the appointment and moved it to Wednesday. Now the guy that came on Wednesday was awesome I would recommend him to anyone.

He replaced lnb replaced all equipment, now he needed a little help with with my wireless joeys but who doesn't from time to time.

AWESOME best thing since sliced bread.

Too many tiles little confusing but I will get used to it.

Ordering: My son did all of the ordering directly through Dish. I have been a customer for 18 years, so he was able to get the new Hopper3 receiver and a wireless Joey. All seemed to go well.

The tech arrived within his window so no issue there. It was a pretty straight forward install for him as he did not have to run any new wire since we were replacing a VIP 722 and he was installing a wireless Joey into the kitchen.

He did connect up to the wrong port on the outside switch, but my son who has researched this was able to tell him how to correct that. The installation continued and then he ran into problems verifying the installation of the receiver. It would get to diagnostic number 180 out of 192 and would halt. He tired several different things. He then repointed my dish and said he was able to increase the signal by quite a bit. After that the diagnostic tests completed.

The tech installed a new LNB on the dish as well as the switch outside. Inside we installed a new Hopper3, a wireless Joey, and a Dish wireless access point.

The problems encountered above did turn the install into about a 3 hour process when it probably could have been 1 to 1.5 hours.

One of the best features of the Hopper 3 is the seamless integration of video on demand. I was amazed that I selected a show on one of the Encore channels and the show was in the middle of the program. I had the option to look at when it would be available again and one of the selections was ‘video on demand’. So I was able to select it and was able to watch the show from the beginning. Since it was VOD, it was actually better quality than the SD of the encore channel. Very nice.

The speed of the hopper is amazing. All the timers available are very good as my wife and I had many conflicts with our previous VIP 722…

Still working through everything so I haven’t figured it all out yet. When Netflix becomes available, I expect that to be as nice too. I have it available on the wireless Joey so I expect it to be the same.

So there are a few issues and maybe not all of these are directly Hopper 3 related:

1. Recordings save to my hard drive are not available via the “dish online” app or web interface. Other posts on the internet implied that this was a bug that users could access this from their sling interface on a VIP 722. I could watch anything that I had recorded no matter where it was stored. This seems like a bug on the hopper that I can only watch what is saved to the local hard drive!

2. “Dish Pass” feature from VIP receivers or “seek and record” from early Hopper is missing. This is a critical feature to allow timers to be created with just a keyword. I used it to set up NASCAR recordings as NASCAR has many different programs, qualifying, practice, race, etc on different channels and different times. This is really the only way to set these up reliably. This features is not available on the Hopper3.
As I learn more, we will see what else becomes a pro or a con

Just got my H3 all installed and set up.

Ordered via online chat and it was smooth and easy.
Install took a bit of time - one Joey was DOA and the original 52 remote to the Hopper unpaired and would not repair - luckily the tech had extras of each.
Hopper 3 replaced a Hooper 2K and Joey 2 replaced a Joey 1.
Love the new UI, the 16 tuners are a HUGE thing for us (I record a ton).
Been using it less than an hour and I already miss the color buttons and the stop button on the remote. I am sure I will get used to the new remote but I have to retrain my muscle memory.

Install in progress now
Tech had to add another dish
Plus change out old lab
Only 2nd install for tech for hopper 3
He needed to call for backup
He's in process of changing out receivers
Slow process so far

No issues at all. Abe from DIRT got me started and was going off shift and then off for a few days so he suggested I finish with chat and I did. Appreciated him sharing his schedule rather than just disappearing for a few days.
Great. No issues. It did take close to 2 1/2 hours but that was just download waiting time mostly. Installer actually got here an hour earlier than appt. time and about a half hour early than the pre-arrival call. I asked if he had done one before and he was a bit vague saying they just got them in the week before but he still did fine. He hadn't seen the remote yet but figured it out quickly. Didn't know you could restore your old timers so I told him about this place and how it could be done. Score a plug for Sat Guys!
The LNB and Dish (black one looks nicer than the gray one!), not sure what else he did while up on the roof, 2 HWS, and 2 Joey 1.0.
Loving it so far. Just when I get pissed off at Dish (price increase) they go and do something like this! (Still don't like the price increase though.. ;) )
Too soon to say definitively. Not crazy about the Home screen but I seem to be getting used to it. Not crazy about the program info on the side of the guide rather than on top. Maybe that could be a user option.

Ding, ding, ding! The HIC is great if you an fit it into your system somewhere.
And I have one I use in reverse, connected to a router turned WAP in an area or our house doomed to poor wireless reception from the main router. Very useful little bugger!

We want to hear how about your ordering experience?
Set it up via chat in early February and had the install 3-4 days later on 2/6. Initially they wanted $200 for a Hopper 3, a 4K Joey, and 2 Joey 2.0 but then the cost dropped to $50 and that was just cause I wanted a 4K Joey.

The installer was great. He clearly knew what he was doing and then some. While admitting he didn't have a Hopper 3, yet (he was installing his the next day) he clearly had experience with the new Carbon UI and the box itself. Letting me know all the pros and the few cons. I couldn't recommend him highly enough.

He replaced Dish itself and did some stuff where all the lines come into the dish. Sorry I'm not so technical when it comes to that stuff.

Its pretty fantastic. Kudos to Dish for promising a product and delivering on it in such a quick fashion. I can't believe it was revealed to us in early January and available at the end of the very same month.

Its too early for that. Clearly I have no clue what I'm doing with the new remote or how to select certain options. That will take time so I'll reserve judgement till I'm better versed with the product.

• We want to hear how about your ordering experience!
    • I posted to the forum and received a PM the next day. My Hopper 3 was installed less than a week later.
  • We want to hear about your install how did it go?
    • Installer called asking to come early. No issues. I was allowed to keep my 40.0 remote.
    • I was able to restore my timers from my remote and transfer programs from my external HD. (Odd that my dish account say my external hard disk is not enabled. It still worked.)
  • We want to hear what the Techs did and upgraded at your house!
    • Made the appropriate dish adjustments and replaced the Hopper.
    • Tech was big on selling other services such as power strips, receivers, even new TVs. He said that satellite was a dying business and they were diversifying into selling other things.
  • We want to hear your thoughts on the Hopper 3!
    • The Carbon UI looks nice but I also liked the previous UI. In some cases the start black/white/red scheme is a bit tough on the eyes.
    • The UI feels faster but I'm unable to compare the search speed since the lists haven't populated yet.
    • I do like all the categories for VoD such as movies by decade and genre. I hope something similar is available for searching the program guide.
    • The skip/FF on the 52.0 remote worked better than I expected.
    • I thought the picture on the Hopper 3 looked softer and the colors looked a bit off. (It may be my imagination.)
    • The Dish Anywhere app doesn't list all the shows on my DVR. In fact it lists a show I deleted earlier yet is still playable!
  • We want to hear what you would change about the Hopper 3?
    • The 52.0 remote has some issues
      • I wish it had the colored buttons. I especially miss the closed caption button.
      • I want to configure the left power button to turn on my receiver. With the device buttons on the side it's awkward to press Aux, then power and then Sat. (This was easier with the 40.0 since the buttons were all on the face.)
    • I wish the program search list updated more quickly. It's been about 18 hours and search still isn't populated.
    • I hope the media guide has the same sort of search features as VoD. Include abilities to filter by HD, date, genre

Last edited:
"I thought the picture on the Hopper 3 looked softer and the colors looked a bit off. (It may be my imagination.)"

Had same reaction, have had to mess with settings on all 3 tv's, something is different, one tv still looks "softer" than it did before.
BONUS - I've watched both H3 & J2 till 3 am & so far NO nightly update messages on either, finally!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)