Official - I have a Hopper 3 Thread!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Picture quality has been greatly improved IMO. A lot better than H2. I use 4K Joey for main TV which is a Samsung 4K unit. H3 on Samsung Plasma. Used to bug me on H2 Joey that PQ was so-so. Not any more

Yes, everybody here that sees the new UI's picture remarks how much better the it is than the old UI's picture.

So it looks like on the H3 when you turn it on... the last channel you watched comes up in the top right corner and the menu screen pops up... A simple exit does the trick... The menu won't bother me that much and I will probably end up using it more then I think... Joey was acting up a little this morning but was going down stairs anyways so we will see tonight how it is doing

Enjoying the option to watch next episode... while the show is still on... Just hit select or cancel and choose the option

I just had my hopper 3 installed along with replacing my joeys.

So far I have 2 outstanding issues that I haven't found a workaround for:

1). There doesn't appear to be a way to disable the advertising banner in the guide. Does anyone have any suggestions on that?

2). My USB OTA Tuner doesn't work, it's not even detected by the hopper 3 but was working with my hopper 1.

My former system was 2x hopper 2000 with 3x Joey 1.0 installed back in 2012.

The new system is 1x Hopper 3 with 4x Joey 2.0. Total installation took about 4 hours. They replaced my old Dish 1000 with a new Dish and one of the newer Hybrid WA.2 LNBs. Also removed my old DPP44 and Duo Nodes and replaced them with just a single hub.

Surprisingly, the timer transfers from my old 40.0 remote worked! Still transferring my recordings which claims it has another 6 hours to go.

Opinions and first impressions:

I don't care for the newer 52.0 remotes, it seems like what I consider to be core functionality was removed, most notable to page up/down buttons and the shortcut keys.

I'm also noticing that when turning on the receiver, it turns on to a black screen... Not sure why yet but if I hit guide the guide comes up and it tunes to a channel.

I do like the look of the new UI but I can't help but feel is still needs a bit more polish.

Can't help you on the OTA tuner.... I get my locals from E* so I haven't worked with that.... There is no way to kill the ad banner at the bottom, at this time. I agree with you on the remotes... I try to skip ahead and wind up putting it into FF, etc.... These should be discrete keys.... Also, they aren't backlit, so I have to get out my phone, and turn on the flashlight to get used to the new remotes' button layout... Agreed on the startup screen... they need a screen that shows a percentage loaded or something.... I never know whether it will take 3 minutes, 15 minutes, or if I have to do a reboot as it has sometimes hung on that "starting up screen". After the H3 does it's'overnight download, some glitches may go away.....

There is no way to turn off the banner. Give your new Hopper a day or two to tune itself up and you will see your OTA adaptor. It's the way of the world with Hoppers.

I just had my hopper 3 installed along with replacing my joeys.

So far I have 2 outstanding issues that I haven't found a workaround for:

1). There doesn't appear to be a way to disable the advertising banner in the guide. Does anyone have any suggestions on that?

2). My USB OTA Tuner doesn't work, it's not even detected by the hopper 3 but was working with my hopper 1.

My former system was 2x hopper 2000 with 3x Joey 1.0 installed back in 2012.

The new system is 1x Hopper 3 with 4x Joey 2.0. Total installation took about 4 hours. They replaced my old Dish 1000 with a new Dish and one of the newer Hybrid WA.2 LNBs. Also removed my old DPP44 and Duo Nodes and replaced them with just a single hub.

Surprisingly, the timer transfers from my old 40.0 remote worked! Still transferring my recordings which claims it has another 6 hours to go.

Opinions and first impressions:

I don't care for the newer 52.0 remotes, it seems like what I consider to be core functionality was removed, most notable to page up/down buttons and the shortcut keys.

I'm also noticing that when turning on the receiver, it turns on to a black screen... Not sure why yet but if I hit guide the guide comes up and it tunes to a channel.

I do like the look of the new UI but I can't help but feel is still needs a bit more polish.
In the guide, the channel +/- operates page +/-.

So for the second day in a row the Hopper 3 would not turn on with either the 52 remote, the 40 remote, or the power button on the front. This time instead of unplugging I pressed the reset button on the front, it booted once and was fine. The 4K Joey is working fine and could see all the recordings on the Hopper and EHD even when the Hopper was off. I guess I will give it one more day to see if it works tomorrow. Otherwise I guess I will contact Mike H from DIRT who set up the order for me.

Install on saterday,13th everything working fine.then,, feb 15 1 am update and now netflix doesnt connect and twice picture has pixelated and froze and had to reset?

Hopper3 was installed last Sunday. Everything was good until l added starz channels on Tuesday. For some reason the hd channels in the program guide will not populate. I did all the usual, still will not fill in the HD channels, if you change settings to show sd they are populated, odd. I called dish tech support tried everything on the phone to no avail.

Hopper3 was installed last Sunday. Everything was good until l added starz channels on Tuesday. For some reason the hd channels in the program guide will not populate. I did all the usual, still will not fill in the HD channels, if you change settings to show sd they are populated, odd. I called dish tech support tried everything on the phone to no avail.
Tuesday 2/9?

Ordering my upgrade was easy. I got a nice retention offer along with the Hopper 3/Joey 2. The installer showed up on time, and had the hardware swapped out in 30 minutes. It was his first Hopper 3 install, but he seemed quite knowledgeable. I did show him how to restore the timers from my old HWS.

Software download took twice as long as the hardware install. Dish could greatly improve their field productivity if they could find a way to update receivers in the shop! My timers came across just fine, and my external disk was recognized. I waited for the guide to populate before plugging in my OTA module, and it was immediately recognized and my channels were scanned OK.

The speed of the H3 is nice, but the Joey 2 is what I really wanted. Living with a Joey 1 for a couple of years was painful. We will be adding a new 4K TV in the family room this summer, so a Joey 4K will be added later.

Like any new product, there are a bunch of little bugs, none of which are killers. I have had a couple of spontaneous reboots and some recordings that would not start, but again, nothing I can't live with. I'd been using Carbon on my HWS for three weeks so the H3 was not much of a shock.

I don't like the new remote at all. It seems to me that they have sacrificed usability and friendliness for what? Are they saving a few pennies with a smaller case and fewer buttons?

All in all, I'm quite happy that I stuck with Dish.

Update,,,!!!! Problem fixed might have been a map down problem. Thanks

I'm a new dish customer coming from directv and here's my install experience:

Ordering was fairly smooth. I first used online chat to order my hopper 3 and 2 4k joeys. Afterward I discovered a promotion where I could have received a $200 gift card for switching from directv. I called customer service and they said no problem but they would have to cancel my order and place a new one which seemed fine to me. When I received the order confirmation email the equipment was listed as hopper 3 and 2 joey 2's, not the 4k joey. This promted another call but in the end everything was straightened out.

The tech arrived within the stated time frame and was very professional. Since I had fairly new wiring the setup was a breeze. As others have said the longest part was the hopper 3 downloads and updates but even that worked without a hiccup. All told I'd say the tech was here for less than 2 hours and he even helped me take down the directv dish and pole and hauled them away for recycling (gave him a nice tip!)

The tech on the hopper 3 and 4k joeys is amazing to me. Coming from a 2 year old directv genie I feel like a kid in a candy store. There are so many new features to play with I don't know where to start. Being my first experience with dish there is a bit of a learning curve but that's part of the fun! One of my favorite features is being able to recover an accidentally deleted recording from the trash, why directv doesn't have this is beyond me. Ever since I placed my order all I kept reading online was that dish picture quality wasn't as good as directv but after watching directv the past 6 years I'd have to say I can't tell a difference in the picture quality between the two.

I do have 2 small issues that maybe someone could advise me on. First, the hopper 3 came with the new 52 remote that is very easy to use and I like very much so far. The 4k joeys for some reason came with the older 40 remote which my wife and daughter are having a difficult time with. Do you think I can call dish and ask if they would exchange the 40's for the newer model? The installer said the new ones would work fine and he was actually surprised they put the old remotes in there because even the joey 2 has the new 52 remote.

My other issue is with folders. When I was setting up my timers I created a folder for myself and my wife. When it came time to choose a folder during the timer setup I would choose hers for lets say "The Chew" and it would save that selection but then if I exit out of that timer and go back in the folder option is listed as "none". The folder I created for myself seemed to work fine but then today I checked another of her programs and under the folder options it had my folder listed, not hers. Is this a bug anybody else has encountered? Am I maybe doing something wrong? Folders are something of a new option for me and seems like a great idea but they just aren't working right for me.

Overall, I'm so glad I made the choice to switch to dish. I'm looking forward to not having to call directv and ask why my bill went up again (at least for the next 3 years!) Now if dish only offered a service where they would call and cancel my directv service for me!!!

I don't know if this will work but I had an issue of seeing multiple recordings in a folder and I restarted my hopper and everything was fixed.

Install happened this morning.. switching over from Directv. Installer was on time, knew the drill, etc...

Installed a H3 and 2 4k Joeys.. H3 is on our Panasonic GT50 Plasma, 4k Joey in BR to a 1080p LG and last 4k Joey to Samsung 4k HDR 65JS9500 set....

Only install issues... 1.) wouldn't use the Directv dish mount on the roof (said it was due to liability issues.) Nor did he offer to take it down for me. So he installed the Dish dish next to it. 2.) Said he couldn't use some of the existing coax... so for 3 receivers (1 H3 and 2 4k Joey's) he had to run new coax.. the old Directv dish had one cable that came down the side of the house into our crawlspace.. to access our front room, he had to run a new line back up to the roof from the hub and then accrues the roof into a vent that then went through the attack down into our front room through the wall... not a big deal.. For our bedroom he also said he needed to run new cable.. there was an existing wall jack that fed a coax to our DTV DVR.. he said he couldn't access that jack and had to run a new cable through another wall jack on the opposite side of the room... and from there he has a cable now going along the floor board all the way down one wall and half way across another... not ideal.. again not sure why he couldn't use the existing coax to fish a new cable to the existing wall jack.. not a big deal...

Hopper booted right up and updated it's FW to 304 fairly quickly.. he did that before he started the new wiring work so we weren't sitting around waiting..

Don't hate the new remote.. and he confirmed the 4k Joeys had been sitting in Dish's warehouse (he was from Dish directly) for quite a while... which seems to explain the 40.0 remotes...

Of course the speed of the boxes are excellent.. Joey's appear almost as fast as the Hopper...

So my nit picks so far..

1. I've been pestering around here about picture quality. I can honestly say that Directv has fantastic picture quality with amazing detail, few compression artifacts (big exception is on complex fast moving scenes, think concerts with tons of blinking lights, confetti, etc.... DTV get's blocky as it gets bit starved.. ), and great color... and they recently have been testing broadcasting 4k, which looks very good.

So how am I doing with the Dish HD quality? It is most definitely softer. There is zero doubt about that.

Dish seems to have few compression artifacts... with one glaring exception. Faces and skin seem to be slightly blotchy/shaded, and the blotches seem to move with their subjects... almost looks like patches of dirt/makeup on peoples necks and cheeks..

Before anyone asks about how my tv's are run, they are all properly setup... the 4k TV does look very good, but again, just not as much detail or sharpness as the DTV feed..

Not a deal breaker.

I knew what to expect, and it might be the case that the new hardware is sharper on its own that what I experienced a few years ago...

It does look very good, and I am actually surprised at the detail I see in some scenes... if I put Directv at 100%, I'd put Dish at 85-90...

Small notes/bugs...

Paused a show on the Joey, went to the H3 and joined it.. which un-paused it on the Joey... not sure this is proper behavior.

Both remotes work great... don't favor one over the other.

Set up 4 folders.. will see how consistent that is..

Added a time for Midnight on Comedy Central to only record New... looked at times for next Monday and it has both the 9pm and 11:40 encore showing set to record... Daily Show doesn't have the same issue, so it's not just the date tripping it up... and it has that error for all episodes of that show....

Wish they would add folder choice to Timer preferences... it seems to sometimes pick No Folder, sometimes the Last Folder you put a timer into..

Know about the nightly reboot.. which will be annoying if it interrupts one of the network late night shows we watch most nights...

So far I'm happy after a 1/2 day with it... not going to PTAT at this time.. we really only have 3-4 shows during the week on the big 4,

See you all in the other threads... :)

Reactions: cummingsje
We had our Hopper 3 and 4 Joey 2.0's installed on the Tuesday after release. Didn't get a chance to post as my boss had me busy taking care of getting trying to get the truck I drive leased to another company and that can eat up a major part of a week. We like them and the. Eew remotes are kewl. They don't have the new touch pad remotes yet and my wife and I don't think we would care for those and will probably stuck with the remotes that came with the new equipment. The tech couldn't get any of the old remotes to pair with anything. I do love the option to search for a series like Once Upon A Time that isn't on right now and save it to be recorded once it comes back on. Netflix works on all the Joeys but still have the message about checking back after February 18th.

Old remotes are most likely still paired to the old equipment. Have to unpaid them before they will pair to your new stuff.
Unpairing seems to work, but... Many people don't have to unpair. That makes no sense to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk