Official Press Release Mike Dugan has retired!

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Late this afternoon I started getting some buzz from contacts telling me that Echostar President and Chief Operating Officer Mike Dugan has left the company.

This is not the first time I have heard this rumor so I contacted Echostar to find out the scoop.

When I asked Echostar to confirm or deny this rumor, Echostar Spokeman Steve Caulk sent me beck the following message "We have no comment."

In the past when there has been buzz about major people leaving the company, Echostar has always confirmed or denied the rumors, this is the first time I can recall "no comment" regarding the status of a major employee.

So the big question is, is Mike Duggan still the president of Echostar? I guess we will find out soon.

Maybe Charlie was upset that Mike let the ViaCrybabyCom negotiations go on to the point where the blackout happened...

Was he ever on Charlie Chat?

If I'm asking a stupid question I apologize. I never remembered the guy's name that sat next to Charlie on the chats.

I started getting e-mails on Friday morning about Mike Dugan "retiring" (that was the 'word' used by several Echostar employees that I got the message from). I was not able to get a conformation (from Echostar) but there is sure enough buzz going around that I believe that Mike has indeed "retired".

For those that don't know Mike, he is a great guy who has lead Echostar through its infancy to the great company that it is today. He is an "engineer's engineer" who, when he conducted the tech forums, was completely honest, down to earth guy who was willing to answer ANY technical question called in (and there wasn't the high screening level that there is today). In the early days of DISH he was very "reachable"' (I talked to him several times) which is highly unusual for a person at his level (that was a big reason that a lot of us "techies" had such a high reguard for Echostar).

For those of you that don't know anything about Mike, here is his company profile:

Michael Dugan
President and Chief Operating Officer
"Michael Dugan is responsible for all operating aspects of the business including DISH Network and EchoStar Technologies Corporation. He served as the president of EchoStar Technologies Corporation, which was responsible for the design, distribution and overseeing of manufacturing of DBS satellite TV set-top boxes, antennas and other digital equipment for DISH Network. Dugan was the chief architect behind the technical foundation on which the success of DISH Network has been built. Previously, Dugan served as vice president of Engineering for Tandon Corporation, as well as director of Product Marketing and director of Engineering. He also served at Xerox Corporation for 15 years holding a variety of positions. He graduated from the Rochester Institute of Technology with a B.S. in electrical engineering."

If the information about Mike leaving Echostar is correct he will be sorely missed.

aperry said:
Maybe Charlie was upset that Mike let the ViaCrybabyCom negotiations go on to the point where the blackout happened...
That doesn't seem to be in his profile ... Wouldn't Michael Schwimmer (Senior Vice President of Programming) be a better target on the Viacom issue?

*IF* Michael Dugan left over an issue it would more likely be over receiver problems or the reduced use of 105, not over a programming issue.

Personally I don't believe there is a technical problem that is of enough significance to ask a COO to resign over. If he is leaving, he's probably just taking an opportunity to find other pursuits. Perhaps even retiring and enjoying the money he has made.

JL

Bill R said:
...which was responsible for the design, distribution and overseeing of manufacturing of DBS satellite TV set-top boxes, antennas and other digital equipment for DISH Network.

If that part of his profile is correct, then he really hasn't been doing a very good job in recent years, despite the wonderful human being and all-around great guy that he apparently was/is.

I just got an email from Mike Dugan.

He has NOT left the company.

Here is a copy of his email.

I have NOT Left Echostar

Sorry must be wishful thinking

And there you have it, I believe we can put this one to rest (again) :)

<edited 4/5/04 after the official announcement>

The fact that I got the information from several different DISH employeer lead me to believe that there was something to the (at that time) rumor. It turns out there was. The "no comment" from DISH PR department was a big clue "something" was up.

I hope he is gone, being the old top dog of the *E design and engineering div I hold him responsible for most of the problems E* has had with past equipment. I still remember meeting him at the first team summit, he did not seem to care about what the dealers had to say, and he always brushed aside neg comments like he was the only person that was right. I hope this is true and that the whole design team is canned too.

For what its worth, I did not read Bob's post until now and that is not what tipped me off on this story. I was contacted by a handfull of Echostar employees letting me know of the news.

What made me feel that this rumor may be true was the wierd "No Comment" from the Echostar PR Folks. It would have been better if they just told the truth.

It was because of this that I went to Mike Dugan directly and got the real answer.

Bob Haller is now claiming his comments were an April fools joke, I guess Bob does not know how to read a calendar as he posted his "joke" on April 2nd. But that is the norm for Bob, he is always a Day Late and a Dollar Short. :D

I too was contacted by several DISH employees whom, I thought, had credible information.

I'm sure that more than just a few people at DISH (especially the PR department) are highly upset about this and will be investigating this further. Bob Haller could be in real trouble.

Bill R said:
I'm sure that more than just a few people at DISH (especially the PR department) are highly upset about this and will be investigating this further. Bob Haller could be in real trouble.
Is it against the law to be an influential moron?

The E* employees involved may have a little trouble, depending on what they said. If they were basing their response off of Bob's comments (or anyone else's in a chat environment) they should be repremanded.

If it is able to be proven that Mr Haller was intentionally trying to manipulate stock prices or otherwise harm E* the most they can do is file a civil suit. If he has actually violated federal laws the government can go after him.

But it appears that his crime was limited to an offhand comment burried in a thread of a different topic. He did not start a thread announcing Mr Dugan's departure, he made a silly comment. A comment that, for some stupid reason, was blown out of proportion.

Why does ANYONE believe what Bob Haller says?

JL

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 5, 2004--EchoStar Communications Corp. (Nasdaq:DISH) announced today that Michael Dugan, 55, has chosen to retire from his position as president and chief operating officer April 30, electing to join the board of directors and serve as a senior advisor.

Dugan, who has been with EchoStar for 14 years, will assume his duties as a board member May 6. He replaces Peter Dea, who has decided upon the conclusion of his term to resign from the board for personal reasons.

"I am grateful for the years of excellent service that Mike has contributed, and the role he played in the launch and development of our DISH Network satellite TV," said Charles Ergen, chairman and chief executive officer of EchoStar. "We would have preferred to retain Mike in a more involved capacity, but I'm delighted to have him available as an advisor."

Dugan was the chief architect of the technological foundation upon which the success of DISH Network was founded. He began his EchoStar career as vice president of engineering for the subsidiary that later became EchoStar Technologies Corp.

Dugan has shifted his responsibilities within EchoStar to devote more time to his family and personal interests. He plans to accelerate efforts to make his Whistling Elk guest ranch in northern Colorado available to disadvantaged children.

"My time at EchoStar has been an adventure, immensely fulfilling on both professional and personal levels," said Dugan. "I want to thank Charlie and all the other talented and devoted people who have made my EchoStar journey such an exciting one."

As president and COO, Dugan was responsible for all operating aspects of the company, a role that sprang naturally from his experience as president of EchoStar Technologies. That subsidiary designs, distributes and oversees the manufacture of Direct Broadcast Satellite TV set-top boxes, antennas and other digital equipment for DISH Network.

The duties of president and COO of EchoStar will be absorbed by various executives throughout the company until a successor to Dugan can be found.

"Mike will be difficult to replace, but fortunately we still have a terrific management team at EchoStar with excellent skills and a level of dedication second to none," Ergen said.

Dugan guided EchoStar through a period of tremendous subscriber growth and roll-out of local-to-local markets. When Dugan took the helm in April 2000, DISH Network had 3.9 million subscribers and served 28 markets with local TV channels. Today the company has 9.4 million subscribers and delivers local channels into 110 markets in 46 states, covering about 85 percent of all TV-viewing households. He oversaw the successful launch and implementation of nine EchoStar satellites. The most recent three satellites carry spot-beam capabilities, a technology that spawned EchoStar's leadership in the delivery of local TV channels.

"We had a close-knit team, one that drove this company to great heights and set the tone for today," he said. "I appreciate the confidence that Charlie had in me and the opportunity he gave me to do the things I never would have imagined when I joined EchoStar."

Dugan previously served one year on the EchoStar board of directors from 2002-2003. Prior to joining EchoStar, Dugan served as vice president of Engineering for Tandon Corporation, as well as director of Product Marketing and director of Engineering. He also served at Xerox Corporation for 15 years holding a variety of positions. He graduated from the Rochester Institute of Technology with a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering.

PHOTO available upon request.

About EchoStar Communications

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) serves over 9.4 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), and is a leading U.S. provider of advanced digital television services. DISH Network's services include hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. DISH Network is the leader in the sale of digital video recorders (DVRs). Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Steve Caulk, 303-723-2010
steve.caulk@echostar.com

SOURCE: EchoStar Communications Corp.

He's still a moron. :) He still says it was a April Fools Joke. Of course now I don't believe that Bob will be serving any time in Levenworth as some have joked at DBSForums. :)

This story has been a roller coster ride for me personally who spent a lot of time trying to find out what was going on, including talking to Dugan himself.

No, the report silversurfer posted states Dugan will be on the board of directors... he didn't leave Echostar. He just changed his role with the company.

jerryez said:
Looks to me like Dugan LIED to you, Scott. Some source.
As soon as I read the announcement over at the other place, this is the exact same thing that I thought of...then I thought a little more and as the above poster said, he technically hasn't left the company. He wasn't incorrect in his statement, just that he wasn't as fully open as he could of been. My guess is that he had to wait until the official corporate press release before saying anything more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)