offloading 9200HD PVR files copy to PC?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crawfrdb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Starting a new thread on this now....

So I acquired an external eSATA HDD for my 9200HD running the new PVR firmware. All works fine. The receiver formatted the drive, I can record and play back on the receiver with no problem.

The HDD has been formatted with the DR-DOS2 FS by the receiver.

The HDD FS cannot be seen by Windows XP when connected to my PC. Next, I tried Fedora. Same- Fedora can't see the FS either.

So how do I offload these files.

Incidently, as my test recording, I used that channel on Galaxy 25 of that budda chinese televangelist looking guy- in honour of the olympic games!

Any ideas about how to offload the files off this?

Thanks.

What partition type is fdisk or cfdisk under fedora showing for /dev/sda or /dev/eda or whatever the drive is?

Can you reboot the computer after plugging in the sata drive?

Can you try a different computer?

How are you connecting the drive to the computer? What hardware/software is installed?

As a last thought, you might try formatting the sata drive with FAT32 on your computer, and see if the PVR will recognize that.

Can you reboot the computer after plugging in the sata drive?

Can you try a different computer?

How are you connecting the drive to the computer? What hardware/software is installed?

As a last thought, you might try formatting the sata drive with FAT32 on your computer, and see if the PVR will recognize that.

I have tried connecting to a different PC running XP without success.

The drive connects to the 9200HD via eSATA cable.
I do not not have a eSATA connection to my PC so I am connecting the HDD via USB when it is connected the PC (the enclosure I'm using supports USB, Firewire and eSATA).

Not sure what you mean by hardware/software installed.

After formatting the HDD with FAT32, all the 9200HD wants to do is reformat it. it isn't immediately apparent to me why one would want to try that, but I did anyway for completeness.

What partition type is fdisk or cfdisk under fedora showing for /dev/sda or /dev/eda or whatever the drive is?

If I reboot Fedora when the HDD is connected to a USB port, I see a "cannot allocate media number" error during the bootup of Fedora. Once Fedora is up and running, it seems the HDD has not mounted. I was unable to manually mount it.

under fedora:
can you see the hdd if you type "lsusb"?
what's the device name?
what is cfdisk or fdisk saying?

Another thought I had was booting my PC with the image found on Ultimate Boot CD - Overview and see if it can see both the DRDOS2 formatted HDD and a FAT32 partition on my PC. If that works then, that would at least be a workaround until a better method could be found.

under fedora:
can you see the hdd if you type "lsusb"?
what's the device name?
what is cfdisk or fdisk saying?

[root@localhost ~]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 152d:2336 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 413c:2003 Dell Computer Corp. Keyboard
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. M-UV69a/HP M-UV96 Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001

Looks like Bus001 Device 004 is the drive.

During bootup, I see the following message:
unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

What does this mean?

I believe that's an Fedora issue, it becomes a little bit irritated with USB devices during the boot process when it's not sure what to do with it.

It is also complaining about your mouse and keyboard and i bet they work fine.

Ok... let's assume there is no problem after booting up the system...

What sd or ed devices is linux showing on the command line?
Do a
Code:
cd /dev; ls -al sd*
and/or
Code:
cd /dev; ls -al ed*
on the command line.
If it's showing an sda, sdb, eda, edb or something similar you have at least the name of the device.
Let's say it shows sda1, then try following... First create a mount directory for the disk, for example "pvr"
Code:
mkdir /mnt/pvr
then try to mount the disk with
Code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/pvr
If you don't get any errormessages do a
Code:
cd /mnt/pvr
and
Code:
ls -al
if you see some entries, you got it!

A file system needs to be specified with mount (-t).

What should be used for this unique DOS?

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)