Cannot find 95W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tanghh

Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Hi, I am new to the community. I got a World Direct dish (36x20) with two LNBs (one round LNB and one KU Linear 11.7-12.2) attached. I can easily point to 97W with 90/90 signal with the round LNB. However, I am not able to find 101 or 95. Am I did something wrong?

According to dishpointers.com, I should use these angles:

95W, Elev 38.1, Azimuth=125.2, Polarization=-30.8 65C
97W, Elev 39.2, Azimuth=127.6, Polarisation=-29 90C
101W, Elev 38.1, Azimuth=132.9, Polarization=-25.2

However, actually I have to use Elev 54, Skew=90 for 97W with no problem.
One friend told me that I should use Skew=65 for 95/101, but I tries everything I can without success. By the way, I live in bay area (Palo Alto,CA).

I try to figure out why I need to use different angles as provided by dishpointer in order to get 97W, and how I can get 95/101 with this dish.

Another obersation I have is, that I have an existing 20x18" direct TV dish which I can receive signal from 97W, but it looks like it point to 10 degree west than my new 36x20 dish. How that can be possible?

Any help will be appreciated. I really like to use the 36x20 dish to get chinese program for my dad on 95W (CCTV4). Thanks again.

I use Coolsat 6000 receiver, seems to be very sensitive to find satelite, at least works for 97W.

Is that easy to use KU LNB to find 95W, or use the other LNB to find 101W? One thing I know is that the round LNB works fine because I can get 97W well.

I don't have that dish, but trying to remember things I've read about it, the two lnbf's on that dish are different, one is a Circular polarization and one is Linear polarization? That being said, you won't be able to get any of those three satellites with a Circular polarization lnbf. Also, you can only use about a four degree separation between two lnbf's on that dish, meaning 95.0w and 97.0w can not be obtained together. If you change the Circular lnbf for/into a Linear LNBF, you should be able to get 101.0w and 97.0w with ease? And with a modification you could get 101.0w and 95.0w, but you won't be able to get all three sats with that dish.
At least that's what I think...??

Another obersation I have is, that I have an existing 20x18" direct TV dish which I can receive signal from 97W, but it looks like it point to 10 degree west than my new 36x20 dish. How that can be possible?

Are you absolutely sure you are hitting 97w, and not another satellite such as 91w or 82w? The circular LNBFs on the 20 x 18" DirecTV dish shouldn't pick up anything at all from 97w. What are some of the channels you are receiving when you do a scan? The receiver may say 97w, but it does not know what bird you are aiming at, since the receiver has no way of sensing the identity of the satellite being fed to it. The satellite names are just there for organizational purposes.

Thanks for the info

I will check tonight for the channels I got from both dishes.

For 36x20 dish, there are two LNBs, one is round, come out two lines from it (I think it just split out for two receivers). With that LNB, I can get 97W, according to my receiver. I am not sure if it is linear or circular. But I will check what channels I got. From that LNB, I also get a few other satelites such as 82W (not 100% sure, I will verify)

The other LNB is for KU band, so it must be linear. I can read labels such as KU, 11.7-12.2, 590-950MHz etc. So I think I can use that LNB to get 95W for some FTA channels like CCTV4, if I understand correctly.

I do not intend to get all three satelites. If I understand correctly, I should be able to get 95W with one LNB, and 101W with the other LNB from that 36x20 WorldDirect dish. What I am really interested is the FTA channels on 95W.

Thanks for help, I will try it again tonight.....really excited to get the FTA channels I want, if I can.

The lnb with 2 outputs is a dual circular lnbf. The other is a single ku standard lnbf. You should have no problem getting 95w, but you'll need another linear lnbf instead of the circular if you want to pickup the FTA that's at 101w. I am betting you can get 4 degrees on the other side of the lnb (if you strap another lnb on there), and MAYBE even 2 degrees if you find the right lnb combination and work on a happy medium to get both sats - as 6 degrees (the stock bracket) gives you loads of room between the two lnbfs (with that squished lnb in the middle)

question about alignment

My question is, with my circular LNB to get 97W with strong signal (90/90) at skew=90C, where should I point to in order to get 95W?

from SatelitePointer 0Dotcom, I should point to as of the following in order to get 97W, however, my 36x20 dish is pointing to south east with Elevation 54 and Skew=90, get good signal for 97W according to my receiver. I will check the channel to confirm what I get tonight.

I though 97W and 95W should be fairly close to each other, Can I get aligned to 95W with the circular dual-output LNB, or I have to use the KU LNB, what frequency, LNB type should I set on my receiver for the KU LNB?

I know that for circular LNB, I got strong signal for 97W with LNB type Universal or Single, Frequence 10750.

For the linear LNB, if I set the LNB type to Single, frequency to 10750 or 11250, I got absolutely no signal/noise. If I set the frequency to 590(or 550, cannot remember, but a lower number), I can get some noise on signal/quality.

Thanks

Distance: 37843km
Motor Latitude: 37.4°
Declination Angle: 6.0°
Dish Elevation: °
Elevation: 39.2°
Azimuth (true): 142.3°
Azimuth (magn.): 127.9°
LNB Skew: -29.0°

And for 95W, the site told me that:
Latitude: 37.4361°
Longitude: -122.1321°
Name: 95.0W Galaxy 3C | Spaceway 3​
Distance: 37929km
Motor Latitude: 37.4°
Elevation: 38.1°
Azimuth (true): 139.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 125.4°
LNB Skew: -30.8°

You can't get 97 with the circular lnb. What transponders and SR are you getting 90% quality on? This will help us determine what sat you are pointed at. I've never used that dish so I don't know if the circular or linear lnb is centred and what the offset to the other is.

BTW the LO for the circular lnb is 11250 not 10750.

You also will need to set the skew to -30.8 in order to get close. If your dish reads 90 when it is level then turn it to 90-30.8=59.2.

turn dish

If you're sure you are aimed at 97, then just turn the dish a very small amount, to the east, and try blind scanning. With that dish it wouldn't be much of a move, 1/8" turn counter-clockwise. Then possibly a tiny amount of elevation change but since those sats are so close together, it wouldn't make that much difference. Forget the circular lnbf, stick with the linear and the local osc freq 10750.

Dish point question

I blind scan my smaller (20x18) dish, which has 3 LNB, with four outputs (one empty, so I got 3 lines out), I got the following satelite:

1. 103.0W AMC1: most channels screambled, but a few I can watch are:
TV213 11720V AMC
.. 11777V
.. 11807V (dish network promotional)
TV480 11807

2. 107.3W, AnikF1
TV213 11720V

3. 97W
TV469 11719V IA-
TV240 11778V IA-
11806V
11866V IA-

Most channels are scramled, most unscrambled are promotional except NASA and a few others. That is what I expect.

For my 36"x20" dish, yesterday on roof, I can get strong signal ast 97W. Maybe wind move it a little, my coolsat-6000 once find good signal for the following satelites with quality > 70 (green bars):

82W
97W
107.3W
110W
119W
121W
131W
148W

Kind of exciting to find so many satelite on one dish, cannot belive it, but is it possible? (i am doing a blind scan with the round LNB now to see if I can find any interesting channel)

My receiver can lock signal with the round LNB (not FTA one). I tried to use the linear KU LNB to scan, not successful to find any satelite. I guess either that LNB is bad or I did some setting wrong. I really like to get KU FTA channels working, not there yet. What is the best way to tell if my KU LNB is bad? Any experience. I will need to get a LNB if I determine that is the problem.

One thing I do not understand is that, I get SKEW angles from the dish pointer site, for around 30 degree, but I have to adjust that to 90 degree in order to get 97W. My big dish point approximately 10 degree easter than my small dish. Is that possible that because the big dish is wider, so even if they looks like towards different direction, but they can both get 97W?

Someone told me that if I want to get 95W, i need to change skew to 65 degree, but if I do that, I get nothing so far. I do not quite understand how to get the SKEW angle, because the site calculator with google map told me around 30 degree for 97W or 95W, but apprantly, I have to set it to 90 degree in order to get 97W.

All that does not solve my problem to get FTA on 95W, I am new to the community and I have a lot to learn for sure.

I will move the dish a little to get 97W. I believe I can get 97W very easily because I get it for many times. I will give it another try next day.

Thanks.

Last edited:
On your small dish (DTV) did you move it or did you try it where it was? I think where it was because you are getting Nasa and that channel is on Dishnet 119. DTV also has a satellite at 119 and they both use circular lnbs. Just because you set the reciever to different sats in the menu doesn't mean that is the sat you are on.

When you go to aim the bigger dish use the linear lnb, set your receiver to Galaxy 3C @ 95W transponder 11780 H 20760SR. Set the lnb LO to 10750. Skew the dish till it is at 59.8 degrees set elevation of dish to 38.1 degrees and move the dish so it faces south east. Then slowly rote dish a couple of degrees, wait a second or 2 to see if you get a signal. If not move alittle more and wait again. keep trying this untill you get a signal on 11780. When you get the signal as high as you can fine tune the elevation to max signal then fine tune skew to get max signal. Then scan and you will get the channels you are looking for.

When you got your channels you can use a diseqc switch with one port running to your big dish and one running to your DTV to get Nasa. Use a LO of 11250 for the DTV dish and scan and it will come in with the correct freq showing on your receiver.

small dish as is

You are right, my small dish was installed as is before for direct TV (label on dish). From my receiver, I got 103W, 107.3W and 97W. I think you could be right that I actually got from different dish.

How do you know I should skew 60 degree with KU LNB? I read from satelite pointer site with google map, it told me around 30 degree, one guy told me to use 65 degree for 95 in my area, I am not sure how to come up this number, my zip is 94303.

Leave my big dish as is, i.e. skew=90 degree, 36" wide from left to right, I can got signal from 82W, 97W, 107.3W, 110W, 119W, 121W, 131W, 148W with the standard LNB on my dish (according to my dish reading, I do not trust which satelite I actually got now). I can watch several free channels after blind scan.

Where should I point my dish to? In relative my original 20x18" direct TV, where should I point the big dish to? I need to get some idea, because there are big trees around my house, I may have to adjust my dish position if it point to different direction.

Another question is, since I am not sure if my KU LNB is good or bad, leave the dish at current position, can I use KU LNB to find some dish (I want to test if that LNB is good), or I have to change the dish position such as SKEW?

Greatly appreciate your help.

If your small dish is on 119w (which it is if you're getting NASA), then 95w, 97w, and 101w are all to the east of where that dish is pointed. Galaxy 18 at 123w is almost due south of you (Palo Alto is at 122.1w longitude). This may be a good bird to try to hit with your Ku LNB on the DirecTV International dish. Skew would be about zero (dish would be exactly horizontal), since that satellite is directly south of your position. There's plenty to watch on that bird :)

Yes, the skew for your area is -30.8 degrees. If your whole dish rotates and the wide part is horizontal to the ground when the dish reads 90, then you subtract 30.8 which gives you 59.2 degrees. When looking at the dish from the lnb side the west side of the dish will now be higher than the east side. Skew is very important on linear satellites, and if it is out 30 degrees you will not get a signal.

Your angles for 95W are:

Your LocationSatellite DataDish Setup DataLatitude: 37.4561°
Longitude: -122.1235°
Name: 95.0W Galaxy 3C | Spaceway 3
Distance: 37930km
Motor Latitude: 37.5°
Elevation: 38.1°
Azimuth (true): 139.9°
Azimuth (mag.): 125.5° using Compass
LNB Skew: -30.8°

Your directv dish is centred on sat 110 and your point angles are:

Name: 110.0W DirecTV 5 | EchoStar 8, 10, 11
Distance: 37434km
Elevation: 44.7°
Azimuth (true): 160.5°
Azimuth (mag.): 146.1° using Compass
LNB Skew: -15.3°

Therefore the dish aimed at 95W will be 160.5 degrees -139.9 degrees = 20.6 degrees east of your DTV dish. This will be if the linear lnb is centred on that dish. If it is on either side it will be 20.6 degrees plus or minus about 6 degrees.

Tron's idea of pointing at 123 is a good idea because the skew for your area is almost zero and it points almost true south (20 degrees west of your dtv dish). Use11800 V 26658 SR when pointing at this sat. Don't connect the circular lnb up to the receiver, just use the linear and set the lnb settings in your receiver to standard lnb LO 10750.

Angles for 123 are:

Name: 123.0W Galaxy 12, 18
Distance: 37308km
Elevation: 46.6°
Azimuth (true): 181.5°
Azimuth (mag.): 167.0° using Compass
LNB Skew: 1.1°

What LNB should I got?

First of all, I really appreciate your help. It is such a great forum.

I tried what Satphreak and Tron suggested with no success. When I have skew = 60 degree, west side up, 10750, single LNB, 40 elevation, I got no satelite with the KU LNB. I kind of suspect my KU LNB is bad. On my receiver, if I choose 97W or many other sats, I got some signal with low quality. When I choose 95W, 10750MHz, LNB power on, Single or Universal, I got absolutely no signal at all, even no noise. Anyone know if I should have good chance to get anything with the correct elevation and SKEW setting, with my KU LNB? It seems to me that with the circular LNB, I can easily lock a few or several satelites. But with the KU LNB, I never got any satelite. Therefore, I kind of suspect the KU LNB is bad. If I need to buy new LNB, do you know what kind I should get? It seems there are quite a few types, like single, Universal, dual output, LNBF etc. Thanks again for all your help.

The linear Ku LNB on a DirecTV International dish should be set as Single, with L.O. of 10750. The 'Single' setting has nothing to do with the number of outputs on the LNB. It means the LNB is a Standard, and has a single frequency range, unlike a Universal Ku LNB, which has two frequency ranges. Ku satellites are much harder to hit than the pay service satellites you're hitting with the circular LNB. You probably have to work on tweaking the aim of your dish.

One more question

I got a new LNB from ebay. I finally got my dish aim at 95W. I got two FTA channels. One is Taiwan Macroview TV at 12047-H 20000 (67% signal, barely enough). I tried to get CCTV4 at the same satelite for 11780-H20760. However, I am not able to get any signal so far. I wonder since they are the same satelite, my dish should be ok, right? Then why I got signal for one channel but no signal for the other channel I am interested. Any explaination? I have no idea to understand. Thanks.

I know there are some tree that may or may not affect my reception. But I cannot rationalize why I can receive one channel but not the others? Do they have quite different signal strength?

But I cannot rationalize why I can receive one channel but not the others? Do they have quite different signal strength?
Transponders have different signal strengths it depends on how much the broadcaster wants to pay, more money more transmission wattage.
Bob

Did you try to maximize your signal when you found Mac-TV? Try to peak the signal level by east/west tweaking, elevation, and skew. Hopefully you can see tv while you're working, or have someone watch for you. Mac TV and CCTV channels are all the same polarity so you should get one if you're getting the other. Unless you're looking thru a treetop, and just barely getting the signal!

thx for all the help

thanks for all the help, I think i got the idea now. After tweak, I got 66-67% consistantly for MacTV, which i can watch the channel with no problem. For CCTV, I got 63-64 signal quality, which is not enough to watch. I guess the tree might be on the way, but I am not sure.

Anyone have idea on how good signal I can get with 36x20 dish, LNB with 0.3db as claimed in bay area of california? Thanks.

you should have better signal then that unless that tree is truly in the way

CCTV is booming here on 95W with a 30" dish. I know the 36x20 may be on the small side but a couple years ago I got CCTV on a 18" dish and a KU Band LNBF here in Minnesota so the dish should be fine

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts