Oh, no! That wasn't a PCI slot...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

northgeorgia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
North GA
Yes, that statement sums up my disappointment. I had purchased a discounted TBS 8920 PCI card from a seller on eBay. I was -sure- I had a PCI slot, for I counted several of the PCI-e's, and there was a larger slot, too. Oh no. It wasn't a PCI slot. It is a PCI-e x16 slot. Great... Seller doesn't accept returns for foolish lack of knowledge of your own hardware.

What to do now? Maybe find an older computer at a 2nd hand store? It would have been better to have saved up for a more recent USB/PCIe card had I known. Oh well, buyer beware.

I've never used one of this sort, but this gadget plugs in to a PCIe slot and provides two PCI 2.2 slots via a USB (!) link.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PCI-...bit-Adapter-Dual-PCI-Bus-Slot/1925762681.html

Of course, there is always the possibility something like this will send you even further down that rabbit hole than you already are, so don't go rushing to get the credit cards out before you look into it a bit more.

Reactions: northgeorgia
I would either sell it on satguys or eBay or trade it in with the few dealers that do trades.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Wow, I wasn't even aware that adapters for PCI-e to PCI existed! There's been times that I've been in the same boat as Northgeorgia, I'll have to keep those adapters in mind for future reference!

This is why I ended up getting a usb device. It was a major pain just finding out what kind of interface some of the cards had. Some were low profile others weren’t, some were pci some pci-e and then if you updated computers it would always be an issue.

It is good to see there are some options for using a pci card in a pci-e slot for those who can’t get around it. Wish there was a usb bridge to pci adapter out there and affordable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts