Oh No... They Didn't...

I say that Dish finally did what it should have been doing all along. They finally did a commercial on TV that tells viewers why they should choose them over their competition and a comparison add doing the same, and they did so in a creative way.

Last edited:
8 TV's for me. 3 HD & 5 SD. Working on a 4th HD for Fathers Day. :)

Very cool to watch a game while going around the house and being able to watch it as I go from room to room. All the TV's are connected to all the DVR's. My neighbors think I'm crazy but at the same time think it is very neat.

Voyagerbob

I bet most homes have 1 (or 0) DVRs. Fair enough for Dish not to count it.

You can make the argument Choice matches better with Classic 200 (and Choice Xtra with Classic 250), but then you have to point out that DirecTV has no comparable entry level pack. Big deal in these economic times.
It is the middle level packages that most people sub to.

It is the middle level packages that most people sub to.
Doesn't mean a few million don't sub to Classic 100.

Honda's top seller may be the Civic, so should they not make the Accord?

As to the other discussion, this is a home theater enthusiast website. An anecdotal survey on here showing many homes with multiple DVRs and HDTVs does not show that is a nationwide trend.

Like I said in my prior post...It is about time Dish did a creative commercial/ad comparing themselves to their competition.

Why ? I can never understand the need for this many TVs.... I guess it usually just comes to "because I can".

Because I like to watch TV in different rooms in my house. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to have to carry a TV from room to room when I'm doing different things in the office, bedroom, den, living room, kitchen, etc. :D

Because I like to watch TV in different rooms in my house. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to have to carry a TV from room to room when I'm doing different things in the office, bedroom, den, living room, kitchen, etc. :D
Well, some of you have more TVs than I have rooms.

Plus, with Dish agile distribution for TV2 for SD, one receiver is all that is needed if you are really just going room to room, just a few remotes.

What about my grandmother who lives in a condo and has no "rights of use" to any outside areas in order to mount a satellite dish...my brother who is surrounded by 200 year old trees (with historical value) that neither he nor the city are about to chop down to obtain a clear view of the souther sky...and my mother who doesn't like the way a dish looks on her property since it is not aesthetically pleasing? Dish Network and DirecTV are not national providers since they are not nationally available.:rolleyes:

No provider is currently able to provide service to every single household in the country. Going by your logic, there would be no national providers and therefore your point would be moot.

Look at what Dish says about Sunday ticket:

DISH Network has a huge selection of sports: from the local teams you love, to national football, baseball, hockey and basketball, as well as International soccer and cricket. What we don’t carry is the NFL Sunday Ticket with out-of-market football games. We don’t and we won’t. Sunday Ticket costs DIRECTV® one billion dollars a year and ends up being subsidized by other DIRECTV customers whether they get the Sunday Ticket or not. Maybe that’s why in the last three months of 2008, the average DIRECTV customer paid about 15% a month more for TV than the average DISH Network customer.

NFL Sunday Ticket is great for those people who are willing to pay up to $300 extra to see every out-of-market game every week of the season. For everyone else, there’s DISH Network.

Interesting...problem for Dish is that there is a HUGE sub base for sunday ticket, even if every D* customer has to pay for it.

At $300.00 a year in this recession, I don't imagine that NFL Sunday Ticket is getting to many subs right now. I don't think this NFL sports pack has ever made DIRECTV that much money. It is a sales tool that ALL subs have to pay for . Why else is DIRECTV's programming packs all about $10.00 more than DISH?

Last edited:
As an aside to U-Verse. I wanted to subscribe strictly for the phone & internet. (We have Dish because we are snowbirds). We live in a two story home, with the main computer on the second floor rear. The installer said the only way to get to it was running line around the house and up into the room, or drilling a hole in the living room and placing the equipment on the floor there. Neither option was satifactory for obvious reasons. Nothing was mentioned in conversations with sales people that current phone lines would not work with U-Verse. Its portrayed as an all-in-one service, but it isn't for everyone.

Or some of us go to the bedroom TV to see Spongebob on there, then go to the living room to find the wife watching "Jon and Kate Exploit 8", so we have to go to the basement to watching something that doesn't suck.

Puh-lease... you obviously haven't seen the U-verse ads. They are beating up cable with their whole home DVR nonsense--despite the fact that they can only do four streams (not even TV's)--period. Don't even get me started on their SD.

This is pretty mild. Dish and Direct both make me laugh claiming to be the HD leader when Verizon and AT&T both have them beat on channel counts.

OR only 2 HD streams.

At $300.00 a year in this recession, I don't imagine that NFL Sunday Ticket is getting to many subs right now. I don't think this NFL sports pack has ever mad DIRECTV that much money. It is a sales tool that ALL subs have to pay for . Why else is DIRECTV's programming packs all about $10.00 more than DISH?

Correct. And while one post said it was a "huge" base, it would be more accurate to say a "significant" base. It really is the only thing Direct can really crow about a being truly exclusive, and it does give it a slight edge at football season, but if it were to lose the Sunday ticket, Direct would certainly NOT go out of business and would continue to be a very competitive option. They just aren't comfortable losing this exclusive, and since they have deep pockets to afford it, unlike Dish, they go ahead and play it safe and pay billions for fear the sky would fall.

You guys are also forgetting one very important thing about Direct having all 4 major sports packages...BUSINESSES. Just about every single bar and restaurant has Direct, not Dish, simply because of these sports packages. Direct makes a lot of money off of this.

Why ? I can never understand the need for this many TVs.... I guess it usually just comes to "because I can".

I personally have two TVs, my old SD TV and my LG HD TV. I Still use both of them... I'll play PlayStation 1/2 or XBOX games on my SD TV instead of wasting my TVs life span on SD content.

There are six TVs in the house, excluding the 40 year old models in the basement. Three of them are HD and three of them are SD but only four of them are in use. Together my cousin and I have two dual tuner DVRS, a 625 & a 722.

Directv has always been about SPORTS. So of course sports bars would have DIRECTV and NFL Sunday ticket. IT is a sales tool for bars as well; men flock to bars with football and then spend lots of money on food and drinks. That doesn't mean that the majority of DIRECTV subs scubscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket. Unfortunately, EVERYONE with DIRECTV has to pay for NFL Sunday ticket because all their programming packs are at least $10.00 more than DISH programming packs.

DISH has always pushed Premium Movies, superstations and LOCALS , whether they were distants -east/west and or locals. That is why they are at least $10.00 LESS than Directv. So if you want sports HYPE packs you go to Directv and if you wanted to save some money , you go to DISH. Even my dad , who is obsessed with football, won't go to DIRECTV and would never sub to NFL sunday ticket because he won't spend that kind of $$$ . He is more obsessed with saving MONEY than sports.

Directv has always been about SPORTS. So of course sports bars would have DIRECTV and NFL Sunday ticket. IT is a sales tool for bars as well; men flock to bars with football and then spend lots of money on food and drinks. That doesn't mean that the majority of DIRECTV subs scubscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket. Unfortunately, EVERYONE with DIRECTV has to pay for NFL Sunday ticket because all their programming packs are at least $10.00 more than DISH programming packs.
That is not true at all. Comparable packages are about the same price. Once people start adding equipment and extras, DirecTV may actually be cheaper. With my current package and setup, I pay less for Direct than I would for Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)