Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Updated: November 10, 2011, 4:28 PM ET
Ohio State now faces 'failure to monitor'

By Brian Bennett
ESPN.com

The NCAA has notified Ohio State that it will face a "failure to monitor" charge in addition to more allegations of rules violations by its troubled football program.

Ohio State will strip itself of five total football scholarships over the next three years in response to the further alleged violations, the school announced Thursday.

The Buckeyes, who were awaiting a ruling after appearing before the NCAA committee on infractions Aug. 12 for the tattoo-for-memorabilia scandal, received another notice of allegations from the NCAA on Nov. 3. Those allegations revolved around a Cleveland-area booster who provided extra benefits to players.

"Failure to monitor" is among the most serious allegations the NCAA can bring against a member school.

School officials are scheduled to appear before the NCAA infractions committee again on Dec. 10 to answer to these latest charges. However, Ohio State has asked to have the charges reviewed during a conference call the week of Nov. 28 -- the final week of the football regular season.

The NCAA alleged that former booster Robert DiGeronimo provided a total of $2,405 in extra benefits to nine football players. That included payments of $200 each to four players who attended a charity event in February, and five players who were overpaid a total of $1,605 for work they did not perform in summer jobs at DiGeronimo's excavation company.

DiGeronimo has admitted giving $200 to running back Jordan Hall, cornerback Travis Howard, defensive back Corey Brown and former Buckeyes quarterback Terrelle Pryor at the charity event.

Hall, Howard and Brown were each suspended earlier this season. Running back Dan Herron, receiver DeVier Posey and offensive lineman Marcus Hall were suspended for their role in the summer job case. Herron and Posey had their five-game suspensions stemming from the tattoo scandal lengthened.

DiGeronimo and Posey have disputed the allegations of overpayment for jobs.

Ohio State disassociated itself with DiGeronimo on Sept. 20 and announced it was taking measures to enhance its education and compliance monitoring.

But the NCAA said the school "failed to take appropriate actions to determine if DiGeronimo continued to employ student-athletes or host them at the charity event despite concerns about his interaction with the football program."

In addition, the NCAA said Ohio State "failed to educate football student-athletes about DiGeronimo, encourage them to cease interaction with him or inquire about their potential employment with DiGeronimo and attendance at the charity event."

DiGeronimo's charity, called Cornerstone of Hope, was involved with a secondary violation involving a lack of paperwork in 2006. In its response, Ohio State said it told DiGeronimo to stop interacting with coaches, visiting athletic facilities and being around the program.

However, the school still allowed athletes to work at DiGeronimo's company and attend his charity events -- though it said players were strongly encouraged to fill out the necessary paperwork to do so.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement that the school accepts "that we should have done more to oversee Mr. DiGeronimo's activities."

"On a personal note, I deeply regret that I did not ensure the degree of monitoring our institution deserves and demands," Smith added.

Ohio State has already vacated its 2010 season, imposed a two-year probation period, forfeited its 2011 Sugar Bowl payment and fired former football coach Jim Tressel as part of its response to NCAA allegations earlier this year.

Brian Bennett covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com

Follow Brian Bennett on Twitter: @ESPN_BigTen
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ps-ohio-state-buckeyes-failure-monitor-charge

More violations for OSU... I am only posting this in hopes of everyone getting a laugh out of some of these violations, such as:

• assistant football coach Mike Vrabel using smokeless tobacco on the sideline
  • head coach Urban Meyer wishing luck to a recruit during a non-contact period
  • the women’s hockey program spending $4 too much for five framed jerseys
  • men’s basketball video coordinator Greg Paulus exceeding his job description by actually coaching during a game
  • the women’s lacrosse team didn’t take a day off one week
  • a men’s volleyball assistant spoke to a man whom he later found out was the father of a prospective recruit
  • a member of the women’s rifle team won $75 in a competition as a member of the USA Shooting Team

To normal people these are minor violations. Nothing is minor to the NCAA. More to the point, when you are in the bulls eye of the NCAA, you have to be certain that you don't commit even the most innocuous of mistakes.

Anything related to $$$, I can understand. I presume there's a "no tobacco use" policy and yes, smokeless tobacco would violate that.

Telling someone "good luck" is a bit extreme. The worst one is, presuming the statement is true, talking (talking, really?) to someone and then finding out they're related to a recruit. How do you NOT violate that accidentally ?

raoul5788 said:
To normal people these are minor violations. Nothing is minor to the NCAA. More to the point, when you are in the bulls eye of the NCAA, you have to be certain that you don't commit even the most innocuous of mistakes.

Agreed. You have to be on you best behavior....REGARDLESS of how minor or incredibly stupid.....And believe, I think they are stupid....BUT, you are being watched, you should know better.

More violations for OSU... I am only posting this in hopes of everyone getting a laugh out of some of these violations, such as:

• assistant football coach Mike Vrabel using smokeless tobacco on the sideline
  • head coach Urban Meyer wishing luck to a recruit during a non-contact period
  • the women’s hockey program spending $4 too much for five framed jerseys
  • men’s basketball video coordinator Greg Paulus exceeding his job description by actually coaching during a game
  • the women’s lacrosse team didn’t take a day off one week
  • a men’s volleyball assistant spoke to a man whom he later found out was the father of a prospective recruit
  • a member of the women’s rifle team won $75 in a competition as a member of the USA Shooting Team
Thought you were making a bad joke at first, and started to make a smartass comment. Hard to believe the NCAA would waste the money filing some of these.

OSU self-reported these to the NCAA. They didn't get "caught".

I have to presume that all schools report just as many of these petty violations, so I'd hate to be the department that has to track these !

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OSU self-reported these to the NCAA. They didn't get "caught".

I have to presume that all schools report just as many of these petty violations, so I'd hate to be the department that has to track these !

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

All schools have that and they meet WEEKLY with the AD and then bi-weekly with the NCAA....if memory serves me correctly.

Oklahoma went through this a few years ago when starting QB Rhett Bomar and another player were found to be accepting money from a Norman auto dealer for work that they didn't do. OU also self-reported, kicked the offenders off the team, and still had to accept NCAA penalties for "Failure to Monitor".

You can preach ethics and rules at the players all day long, but the athletic department still has to be actively involved in watching who is pushing money at the players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)