silversurfer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Las Vegas, Nevada
From our friends at SkyReport.com

EchoStar wants cable customers to stop feeding "the cable pig."

A new advertising campaign launched by the satellite TV company Monday is taking the usual approach of targeting wired services, this time relegating the cable business to the same level as swine. The ads ask consumers why they should pay cable rates that have risen more than 40 percent in five years, and promoting DISH Network's 50-channel package starting at less than $25 per month.

The campaign includes print ads in major newspapers, television and radio commercials. It also has a Web site: http://www.stopfeedingthepig.com.

The DISH Network campaign comes as CTAM rolls out a national marketing campaign to tout the advantages of cable. EchoStar's response: Only cable can raise your rates 5 times faster than inflation.

Sad part is my parents have Time Warner cable in Minneapolis and in their current invoice, TW is letting their customers know that starting 12/29, they are raising their standard cable rate by almost a buck.

Well...isnt that nice

I think the Cable Companies should fire back and register

http://www.deercaughtintheheadlights.com

And say why Cable is better then Dish. :D

cablepig.jpg

:)

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think the Cable Companies should fire back and register

http://www.deercaughtintheheadlights.com

And say why Cable is better then Dish. :D

The local cable company I have available here is Alltel Cable. I challenge anyone to find on http://www.alltel.com where they acknowledge that they even own a cable company. Service is what you'd expect from a company that doesn't even list cable service on their web page.

--- WCS

Cable made the first mistake by recognizing the fact that satellite delivery of the same programming they were selling existed. Then they pointed out the fact that locals were not available and then offered a bogus bounty on dishes in general that turned into program credits spread out over time instead of cash on the barrel head as advertised.

NOW- CE has decided this is a good time to bust their chomps with this new ad campaign at the biggest selling season of the year. Couple that with the fact that several mid sized cable companies are hemoraging from loss of market share in their respective markets and DirecTVs national anti-cable television campaign and DISH retailers have all the makings of a solid eight weeks of sales if they jump on the bandwagon and use the campaign in their local markets. :!:

The next volley from cable should be interesting.
:D

I don't like Cable Companies, but I think this campain stinks. Feeding a pig? Its just a poor analogy.

Sometimes I wonder if some ads hurt more than they help. Also cable advertises that the locals are included in their packages while satellite charges extra for the locals, so to have a fair comparison with satellite vs. cable you would have to add the $5 for the locals making it $30 per month for the cheapest package against cable.

Stargazer said:
Sometimes I wonder if some ads hurt more than they help. Also cable advertises that the locals are included in their packages while satellite charges extra for the locals, so to have a fair comparison with satellite vs. cable you would have to add the $5 for the locals making it $30 per month for the cheapest package against cable.

Of course, there is still quite a few people who do not have the locals available to them, which is quite funny as I live in a very heavy satellite area. Almost every other house has a dish, not to mention a lot of the businesses, and a good majority of them would LOVE to have locals, not to mention quite a few people I know that HAVE not gotten satellite because they didn't have local channels. Not to mention that our local cable company (although not mine, because my house is not eligible), Mediacom charges $40.00 for Extended Basic, and they're just now fixing to add Food Network and the Sci-Fi channel.

~Alan

DBS over the last five years, lets take a look.....

Dish Network went from Top 40 to Top 50 but in reality has 60+ channels now and went from $20 to $25 per month so there is $5 (20% increase).

The Top 60 package went to the Top 100 package and the price went from $26 to $34 so there is $8 (~30% increase). If you want the SuperStations that use to be included in the Top 60 package then there is another $6 for a total of $40 (40% increase overall including SuperStations).

The Top 150 package has not been around for 5 years yet, probably about 2 or 3 years and it has went from $40 to $43 so there is a 7.5% increase.

The locals package went from $5 to $6 so there is a 20% increase. When it comes to buying the locals ala carte it went from $1 to $1.50 so there is a 50% increase.

The movie packages went from $10 to $13-$14 so there is a 30%-40% increase.

There are numerous other channels and packages that have gone up as well. This seems like a pretty close comparison to cable in some cases depending on what package you have but it still seems smaller than some cable increases. You have to remember that some cable companies may not have had as high of increases as others have but I do know that the cable company here has went from about $19-$20 to $27-$30 the past 6-8 years but also added channels during that time.

no matter how you look at it, the pig is paying off. it is raising consumer awareness to the consistent, more frequently occuring cable rate hikes. to fire back, cable has launched an "only cable can.." campaign that has been combatted with the "only cable can raise your rates 5x the rate of inflation from charlie.." lets face it, charlie is trying to cast a disparaging light on the big boys, and it's working big time.

and on a side bar, E* has raised rates, but increased channel line up. cable has raised rates and done nothing as far as adding channels

Plus cable raises rates for so many things. Remote rates, converter rates, basic rates premium channel rates, digital cable rates, outlet rates and then the the taxes and francize rates all go up in relation to the the other rate increases.

For my first post I will chime in. When I went from Comcast to Dish Network, I got a call from Comcast asking me why I made the switch. They just assumed it was price and programming. I told them it was PQ and programming. I have always been the kind of guy that will pay a little more for better service. The sattellite industry seems to be headed for fierce competition. I'm sure we'll all be able to save a few bucks here and there. But for me, 5 bucks extra a month would never be a deal breaker.
Bubba04

You're quite right, Bubba. As more and more people buy HD TV's and start seeing lousy picture quality on them an enormous hue and cry will fill the air forcing providers to stop cramming 10 lbs. of dung into a 5 lb. sack. I cannot wait for the dawning of a new day when quality wins out over quantity! The battle lines are drawn and we must fight the good fight!!! Who's with me?? :aargh: :aargh: :aargh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts