OK Dish, where is the freaking Sling catcher?

CSI007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
PA
I bought the 922 to mainly take advantage of this feature.

Enough already, get the damn thing to market.

CSI007 said:
I bought the 922 to mainly take advantage of this feature.

Enough already, get the damn thing to market.

Are you new to Dish?

They have never brought anything out in a timely manor or without problems.

I feel your pain, but it's not unexpected.

Look for it near the END of the year and then it will be moved to first quarter of next year, second quarter, third quarter......... then it will be discontinued because the processors won't be able to do the work - ( kind of like the 922dvr). So a new hd extender box will have to come out, that will be more powerful and the whole cycle will start again.:rolleyes:

Look for it near the END of the year and then it will be moved to first quarter of next year, second quarter, third quarter......... then it will be discontinued because the processors won't be able to do the work - ( kind of like the 921dvr). So a new hd extender box will have to come out, that will be more powerful and the whole cycle will start again.:rolleyes:

Corrected.

Corrected.

No don't correct it . The 922 ,according to the last Charlie chat and Charlie Ergen himself said it, does NOT have the processing speed to do the google search feature. Which means you will need the new "923 Dvr" to get google search features all wrapped up in one box. So the latest and greatest" receiver that took over a year to get to the market and that I paid over $400.00 to get just 4 months ago will now need an outside google box to attach to the 922 to do all the internet features. Even though the video at Ces showed it working with google and previous reviewers said it would be an easy software update to enable it to the 922. Meanwhile I am still waiting for the archiving feature to my external hard drive to be enabled ,that I paid $40.00 to use and still can't. So the hd media extender that has been talked about to be used with the 922 for as long as the 922 itself, probably won't be ready to used till the new vapor ware 923 comes out.

Last edited:
MikeD-C05 said:
Look for it near the END of the year and then it will be moved to first quarter of next year, second quarter, third quarter......... then it will be discontinued because the processors won't be able to do the work - ( kind of like the 922dvr). So a new hd extender box will have to come out, that will be more powerful and the whole cycle will start again.:rolleyes:

You forgot that it will be buggy and only stream in SD... But, they will be working on it and getting an update out soon.

No don't correct it . The 922 ,according to the last Charlie chat and Charlie Ergen himself said it, does NOT have the processing speed to do the google search feature. Which means you will need the new "923 Dvr" to get google search features all wrapped up in one box. So the latest and greatest" receiver that took over a year to get to the market and that I paid over $400.00 to get just 4 months ago will now need an outside google box to attach to the 922 to do all the internet features. Even though the video at Ces showed it working with google and previous reviewers said it would be an easy software update to enable it to the 922. Meanwhile I am still waiting for the archiving feature to my external hard drive to be enabled ,that I paid $40.00 to use and still can't. So the hd media extender that has been talked about to be used with the 922 for as long as the 922 itself, probably won't be ready to used till the new vapor ware 923 comes out.

Got ya! Jumped the gun.

Yeah I've been waiting anxiously for this to be released also. Now I'm not so sure I shouldn't just bite the bullet and get a 211k for my other HDTV.

Yeah I've been waiting anxiously for this to be released also. Now I'm not so sure I shouldn't just bite the bullet and get a 211k for my other HDTV.

That is what I ended up doing myself. Bought a 211k and setup an external hard drive to turn it into a dvr. I doubt I will even get a sling catcher /media extender now. I am a little disgusted with the whole 922 thing now.

Dish is really irking me over the whole Sling thing. It's been months and still no free player for android users.

Even though the video at Ces showed it working with google and previous reviewers said it would be an easy software update to enable it to the 922.

How could it have been shown at CES when GoogleTV wasn't even announced until May of this year. CES was in January what video are you talking about? And who are these previous reviewers? GoogleTV was never a guaranteed feature of the 922 EVER. It was just something that was assumed by people who didn't have knowledge of GoogleTV's hardware requirements.

I do believe that Scott showed an application in the menu of the 922 for google and for yahoo. It was in his preview of the 922 at CES . It was also talked about that the 922 would have a web browser that would allow you to go to some websites but closely associated with yahoo. The point is that the 922 won't do either without an outside box now . So quibble over when the google application was announced if you will , but one of the selling points to me, was the web browser that was supposed to be in the 922 and the sling catcher or hd media extender for hd on two different hd tvs at the same time. Now one will never happen and who knows when or if the sling extender will ever see the light of day or will now be announced to work with the new vapor ware "923" dvr, that Charlie talked about on the last Charlie Chat.

DustoMan said:
How could it have been shown at CES when GoogleTV wasn't even announced until May of this year. CES was in January what video are you talking about? And who are these previous reviewers? GoogleTV was never a guaranteed feature of the 922 EVER. It was just something that was assumed by people who didn't have knowledge of GoogleTV's hardware requirements.

Hey DustoMan do you work for E* or something? I agree with MikeD.

Doing a little search of the 922 here at SatGuys will get your answer about the 922 and Google.

The 922 was demo'ed at CES in Jan 2009 and did display browser capabilities via widgets including Google with a prominent icon. Here is a screen shot from the CES thread, there are a couple of these. So while not the announced GTV, they definitely hyped web access from the 922 and Google specifically. That is all I seek for my $200 plus new 2 yr contract. Oh that and full EHD functionality and the ability to Sling HD which was also demo'ed 21 months ago.

I knew some features would be slow to roll out but thing has been out for 5 months now. Hearing Charlie say that the 922 is underpowered for GTV makes it appear we will never get the advertised features or basic functionality that the 622/722 deliver.

It all depends how E* handles it if they do launch a 923, history kind of shows that we are likely hosed, but they do have the opportunity to treat us well and move us to the newer hardware.

Is it alright now if I am upset there is no browser or Google in the 922 yet?

Attachments

• image-3191918374.jpg
    image-3191918374.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 267
I do believe that Scott showed an application in the menu of the 922 for google and for yahoo. It was in his preview of the 922 at CES . It was also talked about that the 922 would have a web browser that would allow you to go to some websites but closely associated with yahoo. The point is that the 922 won't do either without an outside box now . So quibble over when the google application was announced if you will , but one of the selling points to me, was the web browser that was supposed to be in the 922 and the sling catcher or hd media extender for hd on two different hd tvs at the same time. Now one will never happen and who knows when or if the sling extender will ever see the light of day or will now be announced to work with the new vapor ware "923" dvr, that Charlie talked about on the last Charlie Chat.

GoogleTV and that Google application shown with the Yahoo icon are two different things with totally different hardware requirements. GoogleTV was announced in May and is the hardware box or firmware update if a manufactures chooses do to it that way that overlays a full web browser over the TV signal you pump into it. The other is essentially a web shortcut to a site designed with the 922's browser in mind. You don't need a separate box to do it. The browser is still in the 922. When you look at the weather app from the menu screen for example, the page is displayed using the 922's browser. It's just that you can't go anywhere with the browser. That may change in the future, but frankly if DISH can't get it stable or if the browser can't re-render pages in such a way that's friendly to the "10-foot interface" of the 922. I don't want the browser at all. The bottom line is that the 922 is certainly capable of displaying web pages.

As to the delays of the extender, I want it too, but for whatever reason it's taking longer for DISH to get it out. This shouldn't be surprising to you, but I don't think anyone from Sling/DISH/Echostar has said anything about the 922 not being hardware capable to support it. Those are just assumptions made by people who are jumping to conclusions over Charlie's mention of the completely fictional "923" which isn't vapor-ware at all. Vapor ware has to be announced in the first place, not imagined by a CEO or by forum posters who are upset over being early adopters... and probably shouldn't have been in the first place.

Lastly let me leave you with this. Go back and look at old Engadget posts about the satellite and cable industry. Look at the first concepts of the Moxi box or the satellite-fed Windows Media Center PC. It's actually pretty common for hardware to be announced with some features but actually releasing with completely others. Which is why companies like DISH won't say anything at all about future hardware much to the chagrin to enthusiasts like a lot of the posters on this forum. Your post is the exact reason why they stay quiet because not everything goes according to plan.

Hey DustoMan do you work for E* or something? I agree with MikeD.

No, I don't work for E*. I'm just extremely annoyed with how people here are making unsubstantiated assumptions based something said during a Charlie Chat.

The 922 was demo'ed at CES in Jan 2009 and did display browser capabilities via widgets including Google with a prominent icon. Here is a screen shot from the CES thread, there are a couple of these. So while not the announced GTV, they definitely hyped web access from the 922 and Google specifically. That is all I seek for my $200 plus new 2 yr contract. Oh that and full EHD functionality and the ability to Sling HD which was also demo'ed 21 months ago.

Despite my join date, I've been reading this forum and the "other" forum for years now. I know exactly what was shown at CES and what original promises were made about features the 922 (or then called the 722s) was supposed to have. My correction to the poster above was that the Google logo button and GoogleTV are two completely different things.

I knew some features would be slow to roll out but thing has been out for 5 months now. Hearing Charlie say that the 922 is underpowered for GTV makes it appear we will never get the advertised features or basic functionality that the 622/722 deliver.

That isn't at all what he said, those are assumptions that you and other people are making without knowing what hardware requirements GoogleTV needs vs the other features like the app store, EHD, and web browser need. Charlie said that the 922 probably doesn't have the hardware to run GoogleTV, he didn't say. "We are stopping all software development for the 922 and move on to another box on an entirely different hardware platform." DISH has sunk way too much money into the 922's development to just out right cancel it now.

It all depends how E* handles it if they do launch a 923, history kind of shows that we are likely hosed, but they do have the opportunity to treat us well and move us to the newer hardware.

THERE IS NO 923!!!! :facepalm

Is it alright now if I am upset there is no browser or Google in the 922 yet?

I'm completely fine with people that are upset. Hell, I'm really impatient that the extender has been delayed. (I've had a network connection sitting in my bedroom ready for it to be plugged into for months now.) And I think it really sucks that the full web browser hasn't panned out yet, if ever. But for Charlie to toss up this "923" ball and have so many people here just take that ball and run with it is just sad. :rant:

Thanks for the responses DustoMan.

So Charlie did toss the ball up right? Expressing opinions on such is just natural. I'm sorry they make you sad or if you think we are sad, or whatever... it all points back to frustration of less than advertised delivery of feature sets for an award winning and highly touted product.

Doesn't really matter if the 923 is vaporware, it will all come out soon enough as to what the options are. Speculation of a hardware mod on a ~2 year old device and re-package is not a stretch by any means and doesn't mean that they will cancel R&D on the 922. I wasn't part of the 922 beta program, so I have no idea how many hardware changes were made before it's eventual release aside from the remote switch that was covered here.

Hopefully after reading the recent 922 survey results, someone is kicking said R&D team in the pants to get the backlogged features out.

From re-reading the Dish press release on GTV in May, they put in that it would take a GTV device on HDMI to "smoothly integrate with the Dish UI" from the start. DISH Network - Investor Relations - 1.888.825.2557

Seems like the 400 beta testers doing over a year of work on GTV/Dish would hold most of the answers about hardware reqs and how it all fits and are probably bound by a NDA until GA.

There was a Dish/GTV demo at Comic Con and interestingly enough, it looks like a 722k was the Dish box used. Can't really tell what GTV device was used.

Google TV demo shows off Dish Network integration, universal search (video) -- Engadget

It really depends on how Dish takes this to market and by them surveying customers on this too, it doesn't appear to be figured out yet.

Hopefully it's price point isn't too steep, but that hasn't been the trend for E* in 2010 as fees for boxes and such have taken it in the shorts. Charlie is probably salivating on getting to provide a new piece of hardware (GTV not 923) from the EchoStar side, so that he can fee it like mad on the Dish side and claim the number of "receivers" is incrementing exponentially. Who knows what games E* and analysts play that end users are the last consideration. /note: all consipiratorial speculation mine, no citation of said E* GTV device, but really is it that much of a stretch if Logitech and Sony are making devices that Charlie wouldn't want his cut and have the means to deliver? //ready for more facepalms and maybe a few f-bombs.

I still want the browser and Google search in the 922, but at some point if the price is right on GTV, it might be moot and that is possibly what E* is banking on for the web stuff.

As far as the extender, we all wait on.

Thanks for the responses DustoMan.

So Charlie did toss the ball up right? Expressing opinions on such is just natural. I'm sorry they make you sad or if you think we are sad, or whatever... it all points back to frustration of less than advertised delivery of feature sets for an award winning and highly touted product.

Doesn't really matter if the 923 is vaporware, it will all come out soon enough as to what the options are. Speculation of a hardware mod on a ~2 year old device and re-package is not a stretch by any means and doesn't mean that they will cancel R&D on the 922. I wasn't part of the 922 beta program, so I have no idea how many hardware changes were made before it's eventual release aside from the remote switch that was covered here.

Hopefully after reading the recent 922 survey results, someone is kicking said R&D team in the pants to get the backlogged features out.

From re-reading the Dish press release on GTV in May, they put in that it would take a GTV device on HDMI to "smoothly integrate with the Dish UI" from the start. DISH Network - Investor Relations - 1.888.825.2557

Seems like the 400 beta testers doing over a year of work on GTV/Dish would hold most of the answers about hardware reqs and how it all fits and are probably bound by a NDA until GA.

There was a Dish/GTV demo at Comic Con and interestingly enough, it looks like a 722k was the Dish box used. Can't really tell what GTV device was used.

Google TV demo shows off Dish Network integration, universal search (video) -- Engadget

It really depends on how Dish takes this to market and by them surveying customers on this too, it doesn't appear to be figured out yet.

Hopefully it's price point isn't too steep, but that hasn't been the trend for E* in 2010 as fees for boxes and such have taken it in the shorts. Charlie is probably salivating on getting to provide a new piece of hardware (GTV not 923) from the EchoStar side, so that he can fee it like mad on the Dish side and claim the number of "receivers" is incrementing exponentially. Who knows what games E* and analysts play that end users are the last consideration. /note: all consipiratorial speculation mine, no citation of said E* GTV device, but really is it that much of a stretch if Logitech and Sony are making devices that Charlie wouldn't want his cut and have the means to deliver? //ready for more facepalms and maybe a few f-bombs.

Google has been using the Logitech Revue boxes to demo GoogleTV. And using an external box btw, eliminates the need for any additional processing power from the box serving up the video. In either case, using a 722 OR a 922, the performance will be the same as not using a GTV box. All the DISH box has to be able to do is accept the control commands that the GTV box will send it. Something that is already done over Ethernet on both boxes. So there's your "Smooth integration with the DISH UI."

And as for waiting to see if Echostar will offer an external box, don't even bother. It won't do anything more then the Logitech Revue and all you have to do is walk into your local Best Buy or go to your favorite online electronics retailer to buy one. That's what I'm doing doing and should eliminate any anxiety over DISH wanting to charge anything for using the GTV.

And thanks for the responses.

And as for waiting to see if Echostar will offer an external box, don't even bother. It won't do anything more then the Logitech Revue and all you have to do is walk into your local Best Buy or go to your favorite online electronics retailer to buy one. That's what I'm doing doing and should eliminate any anxiety over DISH wanting to charge anything for using the GTV.
Thanks for your informative posts as well, but... Given how fee-happy Dish has been over the last few years, I still feel plenty of anxiety, particularly after that dumb-ass Dish/GTV email poll asking about paying $300 up front OR $5-10/mo... I can well imagine that Dish will turn off their "full integration" and simply ignore the GTV box if we don't pay up. Now maybe the GTV box will have an IR blaster and Dish couldn't turn that off. But they sure could turn off the Ethernet and HDMI command parser. :eek: FWIW, I definitely most positively answered the Dish/GTV poll saying I wasn't going to pay anything further/month.

Edited to add: what the heck are we discussing GoogleTV in a thread on the Sling catcher in the 922 subforum?

It Would Be Nice...

DishMOVE gone wrong

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)