OK Erie, PA...

tomyo10

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
erie, pa
are you ready for some HD locals tomorrow?

Of course I was ready when they said "sometime in March".

What are the chances they are going through with it this time?

Well it looks like 2 markets will get screwed. I cant believe that just yesterday they said that 5 markets will get HD. Now their twitter page says 3 will. Amazing what changes in less that 24 hours. Erie, Roanoke or Batton Rouge. Who will be the lucky one. ERIE I hope. Nothing personal.

Brian

Any explanation why three stations were left out of the HD broadcast and do I need to send an email to Dish requesting they be added?

Funny that WQLN wasn't included when they seemed to be the first on OTA to be sending an HD signal in this market.

Well, here's my guess. WBEP is owned by Lilly Broadcasting and operated by WICU and WSEE. It's being broadcast as a digital subchannel of WSEE. Since it's a subchannel it's probably not being transmitted in anything other than SD in the first place and WICU still hasn't got their digital act together yet. In the end, as a CW affiliate, it's probably such a minor part of their operation that HD isn't even a consideration.

As for WQLN, not really sure. WQLN is operating on the brink of extinction right now. Last I knew, the state was planning on pulling its funding of all the PBS stations in PA. If that happens WQLN says they are likely to go under. They are probably dealing with financial issues related to the uplink.

Well, here's my guess. WBEP is owned by Lilly Broadcasting and operated by WICU and WSEE. It's being broadcast as a digital subchannel of WSEE. Since it's a subchannel it's probably not being transmitted in anything other than SD in the first place and WICU still hasn't got their digital act together yet. In the end, as a CW affiliate, it's probably such a minor part of their operation that HD isn't even a consideration.

You are correct. Here's the email response I got from the engineer at WICU:

"The upgrades that are going into place for WICU to go DTV need to happen first. Then shortly after WICU will be HD OTA and via Dish Network." ...

"The HD content is in house in the studio.

The problem is transporting it to the transmitter site where Dish Network happens to be co-located.

I can’t get it there quite yet."

Also, funny how the Dish website lists WICU as Channel 5252 in HD.

You are correct. Here's the email response I got from the engineer at WICU:

"The upgrades that are going into place for WICU to go DTV need to happen first. Then shortly after WICU will be HD OTA and via Dish Network." ...

"The HD content is in house in the studio.

The problem is transporting it to the transmitter site where Dish Network happens to be co-located.

I can’t get it there quite yet."

Also, funny how the Dish website lists WICU as Channel 5252 in HD.

Your answers make sense, I just didn't know WICU was so behind, but other than a few comedy shows and 1 football game a week I barely watch them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)