OK here is what I know...

I think he means in mpeg2, as it states your 942 will be able to record any channel when launched, if I am reading that correctly thats what it means anyways! could always be wrong.

It is a great show but let's not spin this topic into a howard loving/bashing thread...

If there wasn't nudity everywhere they'd show it on tv instead of making us rely on yahoo...

No I'm not fired up Stuart, it's just that Dish claims they want to send what they are sent and 1440x1080i is not what Voom is sending them

I don't see anyway Dish would have Voom cut off 6 channels so they could do 1440x1080i, this reduction of channels is a good indication that we will get full 1920x1080i, which is what Voom is sending to Dish

-Gary

Dish just called wanting to lease a 942 to me. I just wish that dish would let us customers know what is going on. This hurry up and wait game sucks.

Reefer123 said:
Sirius better hope he has many loyal fans, or they may have a nice Profit and Loss writeoff!

Supposedly the cutoff for breaking even on Howard was that he had to bring in 1 million new listeners. Since his announcement that he would be moving to Sirius they have gone from 600K subs to 2.2 million. While they might not all be there because of Howard, they are indeed 1.6 million subscribers up from where they were and I suspect they'll get a lot of subs this Christmas and into the first part of January as people finally make the switch to follow Howard.

If the 1 million new subs number is correct (heard that multiple times from Howard this week in various interviews) then I'd say all expectations have been exceeded.

Sean Mota said:
You quite lost me there since I am not talking about TV manufacturers....

Dident VOOM try and push that as their advertising scheme. Something like "Give your HD TV what its hungry for, real true HD content" or something like that, and see what happened to voom. Not taking sides, just bring up facts.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Looks like I stired up the pot a bit with my posting.

Just got a call...

And I will try to write it as it was told to me. (And while I am quoteing its is not a direct quote)

On the 942+ "The informaiton may or may not correct, we are trying a few different things and we have not determinded anything yet. Also there is no decission about upgrading customers equipment to MPEG4 yet."

Read into it as you want, again I am only passing along what I am hearing and being told. Is it true or not true? You got me. I hope its true. :D

Will the SBC/Dish Network Subs be screwed over no matter what they do, in terms of new equpitment? BC as of right now there expecting me to buy the 942 if i want it, were as if i had waited oh, a month before i had got it installed, i could of gotten it at that time for only a 250 upgrade fee. but seeing how i allready have been installed, they are in no position to upgrade any box, even though im fine with the upgrade fee, saying there is no "spot/option" to do that on my account.

Haha......

We have our headaches, but my 57" HDTV looked pretty damn good showing The Matrix in HD on TNT HD. I'm sure some of the D* folks got to enjoy it as well..... oh wait, they didn't.

942 or not?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Looks like the new HD channels will be in MPEG2, a number of users have forwarded me emails from Dish Network that read as follows...

Before last Monday's Charlie Chat, I had planned to request the $249 lease deal for the 942. We have been using a 510 for the SD programs and a 6000 for HD. It works, but it is inconvenient and our 6000 has become partly incompatible with the Atlanta NBC HD station. The e-mails make it sound like all the new HD channels including the Atlanta locals will be MPEG-2. Even if all the new HD but the Atlanta locals were going to be in MPEG-2, I would try for the lease deal. However, from the complete turnaround in 1 month maybe nobody from E* knows so I am just going to wait until after the HD Charlie Chat.

are we worried that the new channels (espn2hd and the vooms) wont be in mpeg2? I thought for sure they were going to be-I already get my locals OTA, and ESPN2hd is the one channel I really really want (well that and the cleveland indians new channel) please tell me that they will be in MPEG-2 as I dont have a couple hundred dollars lying around to upgrade my 811 right now!~

As a relatively new E* sub (9 mo.), I'm not sure what the options are for those in lease arrangements who want to upgrade to new gear. I currently have a 942 (which I totally dig) and 2 811s. Any ideas?

navychop said:
DISH is returning to full resolution in January, and has packed the 21 Voom channels into 15 in order to support this- but I gather you realize this (posted for other readers).

The 942 "plus" apparently is not a sure thing, and might never see the light of day. It's hard to know what the differences in the 2 boxes will be, since none are on the street. As you noted, it appears the 622 will have a larger HD and also have an ethernet port, as well as the stereo agile bit. The 622 feature to put TV1 out on one rf channel and TV2 out on another, on the same coax, is a GREAT idea.

Personally, if the 622 has the features I want, and I suspect it does, I'll get it. If not, I'll wait for the next MPEG-4 8PSK HD DVR. I'm not getting the 942 since I do not want to go thru the upgrade/replace cycle. I also suspect coming on as a "new" HD DVR customer will be quicker and cheaper than being a "current" HD customer trying to upgrade DVRs, who may be waiting in a line.

Good points! Thanks.

vip622 avail feb 1

I know of a retailer that will have the vip622 in stock on feb 1 and is taking pre-orders next week. The mpeg4 dvr will cost 699.

Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)