OK, I"m going to come out and say it - the Pittsburgh Pirates are going to take a huge step forward

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Yeah, that's right. I said it, I meant it, and I'm here to represent it.

They have lots of young hitters who may take the next step, and be serious contributors this year. If they can get a pitching prospect or two to matriculate into the bigs this year and contribute as well, they could cause a stir.

Sandra

"Huge step" is most likely a huge reach. You would think they would have to improve somewhat, what with four straight last place finishes and their W-L record getting worse each season. Out of the cellar maybe??

I remember back around 2006 watching Actor Michael Keaton throwing out the first pitch at opening day and later ripping the owner for not spending money on the team. But, he also said if he was a businessman he would do the same thing. The owner of the Pirates was really mad at him and I don't believe he was ever invited back again. Tampa has won over the last few years yet the fans still stay away.

I remember back around 2006 watching Actor Michael Keaton throwing out the first pitch at opening day and later ripping the owner for not spending money on the team. But, he also said if he was a businessman he would do the same thing. The owner of the Pirates was really mad at him and I don't believe he was ever invited back again. Tampa has won over the last few years yet the fans still stay away.
This reminds me of what the Detroit Lions turned into after being acquired by the William Clay Ford family in the early 60s. Just as long as Lions fans continue to fill the stands and purchase Lions paraphernalia, the team is a going to be a perennial loser since the business is profitable.

The Detroit Lions Manifesto is titled, "How to field a subpar NFL Franchise, spend minimally, and make money."

This reminds me of what the Detroit Lions turned into after being acquired by the William Clay Ford family in the early 60s. Just as long as Lions fans continue to fill the stands and purchase Lions paraphernalia, the team is a going to be a perennial loser since the business is profitable.

The Detroit Lions Manifesto is titled, "How to field a subpar NFL Franchise, spend minimally, and make money."
I believe that Baseball is losing it's fans in some parts of the country. Boston, New York ,Chicago etc will always have fans. I believe Pittsburgh is losing it's love of baseball.

Once upon a time they were doing good...

until...

sid_bream.jpg

I think they problem will be their pitching. Reds, Cubs and Brewers got better. The Cards have regressed and GOD only knows how much the Albert Pujols will effect the team.

They will improve. They may lose 100 games this year. That will be a five game improvement from last year

Bingo. Its like those figures they quote about how car sales are up by a huge %age over last year. Still stink, just not as bad as last year.

Lose 100.

:haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't stop laughing. ROFLMAO

mccoyrj said:
Thus saving the Pirates from the national disgrace of allowing Toronto to become the first team based outside the United States to win the World Series. Thank you Atlanta. :hatsoff:

I think that Pirate team would of beat them

Thus saving the Pirates from the national disgrace of allowing Toronto to become the first team based outside the United States to win the World Series. Thank you Atlanta. :hatsoff:

When the Blue Jays did win the World Series how many of the blue jays were Canadian?? There has only been 13 Canadian Players in the history of the franchise to play for the Blue Jays. Even though the team plays in Canada, it has always been predominately American.

Yes, because that makes being beaten at the plate by "the slowest man in baseball" feel better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts