OK, Networking Question

tempVAdish

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Temperanceville, VA
Ok, I'm getting curious to see how the free "VOD" looks (the Beast), but I haven't yet connected my 622 to my network. I have a wireless router that I use for my PS3 (it has wireless built in) and no network run to the location of the 622. Question is; will the USB jack on the 622 support a wireless network, or is the network jack the only way the 622 will see it?

Thanks.

Networking Question

Ok, I'm getting curious to see how the free "VOD" looks (the Beast), but I haven't yet connected my 622 to my network. I have a wireless router that I use for my PS3 (it has wireless built in) and no network run to the location of the 622. Question is; will the USB jack on the 622 support a wireless network, or is the network jack the only way the 622 will see it?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before and the result was that you cannot use one of the USB ports for networking, but IIRC you can use a wireless game adapter connected to the ethernet port.

You must use the ethernet port. The usb does not support networking. I ran a 50 ft ethernet cable through my attic or you can hook up a wireless game adapter thru the ethernet port.

You must use the ethernet port. The usb does not support networking. I ran a 50 ft ethernet cable through my attic or you can hook up a wireless game adapter thru the ethernet port.

Jerryez has it right.

IMHO you'll be happier with ethernet cable. Take half the rated speed of the wireless (because it is half duplex, you can only receive or transmit, but not both simultaneously), and that's the ballpark unshared bandwidth you'd get under real world conditions. If you're running encryption that will usually slow you down a bit as well. Unless you've really screwed up the ethernet cable you're looking at the full 100mbs bandwdth because it has both transmit and receive wire pairs (full duplex). Ethernet cables can be up to 100 meters (328 feet) long.

I am also weighing my options between wireless ethernet (gaming) adapter and the HomePlug. I was primarily looking to get rid of my $5 a month charge, but I am now intrigued by the Dish Online content. Does anyone know if there is a significant difference in download speed? (I rent so I don't want to make more holes for a wired connection).

I was thinking about networking my 722. Has anyone ever tried using one of these adapters?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AJVBW/sofa-20/ref=nosim"]Amazon.com: Linksys WGA11B Wireless-B Game Adapter: Electronics[/ame]

Last edited:
If you happen to have an extra Netgear WGT624 laying about, there is a way to make it into an ethernet bridge or a client. I hooked my 622 up this way with only a little tinkering and google searching.

Might work on other wireless routers as well.

Of course, i'm just that geeky to have more than one sitting around! :)

If you happen to have an extra Netgear WGT624 laying about, there is a way to make it into an ethernet bridge or a client. I hooked my 622 up this way with only a little tinkering and google searching.

How about something like this: XE102 - NETGEAR.com? Isn't this compatible w/ the home plug built into the 622?

IMHO you'll be happier with ethernet cable. Take half the rated speed of the wireless (because it is half duplex, you can only receive or transmit, but not both simultaneously), and that's the ballpark unshared bandwidth you'd get under real world conditions.

Yes, but what if his internet connection isn't that fast?

Definitely cheaper to run cable, but maybe more annoying.

Yes, but what if his internet connection isn't that fast?

Definitely cheaper to run cable, but maybe more annoying.

Bingo! I get a kick out of people replacing their 802.11b with g or n to get faster Internet when they have 700kbs DSL.

However, IMHO, the wireless connection is prone to more problems, and with the newer hacking tools for WEP and WPA (Backtrack 3) I still say wired is easier & cleaner if you have a shot at a cable run. In my case, during power outages my transfer switch doesn't have enough circuit coverage to power each wireless device in the house.

In the future we may be able to play movies from a remote DVR in the house, the wired would stream it much more efficiently.

Bingo! I get a kick out of people replacing their 802.11b with g or n to get faster Internet when they have 700kbs DSL.

However, IMHO, the wireless connection is prone to more problems, and with the newer hacking tools for WEP and WPA (Backtrack 3) I still say wired is easier & cleaner if you have a shot at a cable run. In my case, during power outages my transfer switch doesn't have enough circuit coverage to power each wireless device in the house.

In the future we may be able to play movies from a remote DVR in the house, the wired would stream it much more efficiently.
Forgive me if I'm missing something but if I sling a movie from the den to the bedroom what does my DSL modem have to do with it? This implies that the data stream goes from the sling box/922, through the router, through the modem to Denver then back trough the modem, back through the router then into the bedroom. This isn't the way Sling media told me it worked when I sling around my house. They flatly said an internet connection isn't needed for slinging within a network.

Forgive me if I'm missing something but if I sling a movie from the den to the bedroom what does my DSL modem have to do with it? This implies that the data stream goes from the sling box/922, through the router, through the modem to Denver then back trough the modem, back through the router then into the bedroom. This isn't the way Sling media told me it worked when I sling around my house. They flatly said an internet connection isn't needed for slinging within a network.

Sorry, I think you've confused yourself. I was looking to get my 622 onto my home network & thusly to my DSL w/o having to run a cable from my 'puter room to the 622. I believe the sling features work differently than that.

So where did you get a 922? Don't think they are anything more than prototypes now.

Not beating anyone up or anything, but I've run cat5 in several different houses now and despite the variety of construction, I've been able to get cable from point "A" to point "B" with only minor amounts of head scratching. It's often advantageous to follow pipe runs, heating runs (not inside the ductwork please), or other existing passages through the walls, ceilings, floors. Sometimes it's a bit tough, requires the aid of a contortionist friend, or just plain makes you sweat (low-headroom attics in the summer really suck).

In almost all cases, a wireless solution would have been much easier, but I just have so much more confidence in a wired connection. Once you get them in they rarely give you trouble.... unlike wireless. Oh, that's not to say all wireless is bad. Some wireless connections are extremely trouble free, but I think you're upping the odds of having some kind of nagging issue with wireless and those issues are rare with hard wire.

So my advice is to really have a look at this. It's really not all that hard.

My point was that in the future it might be better to have your receiver directly connected to the wired network than to wireless (read: slower, less reliable, and less secure). I might someday be watching a show on my upstairs 622 that was recorded to my downstairs 622, I would want the fastest connection I could get. If it were wireless, someone else in the house could download OS updates or heavy-duty content that would affect my wireless bandwidth.

This is how I did it. Now I have my 622 and my XBox 360 hooked up to it. It works great.

My point was that in the future it might be better to have your receiver directly connected to the wired network than to wireless (read: slower, less reliable, and less secure). I might someday be watching a show on my upstairs 622 that was recorded to my downstairs 622, I would want the fastest connection I could get. If it were wireless, someone else in the house could download OS updates or heavy-duty content that would affect my wireless bandwidth.
I agree on this. I was just responding to what I see as a repeated misunderstanding of sling technology as it can be used around the house.

As a matter of fact it took me some time to get to the right person at Sling before I got them to admit internet connection speed doesn't have any bearing on slinging around your house, which along with other forms of IPTV I think will begin to replace HDMI signal distribution around a location by the end of this year.

More to the point: The future "wired house" may have two nets; a wireless one for internet surfing and email and a wired one for IPTV. At least two manufacterers showed HDTVs with ethernet ports at CES a couple of weeks ago.