Ok... Now they Have Me Pissed! (Dish Audit Police)

ScooterS

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 14, 2003
Welllll, Today is my birthday. Overall, it was a pretty good day until I returned a call from Dish Network.......
I had an enjoyable conversation with a CSR who told me that they were verifying receivers and that they needed to confirm data from each of my units.
I spent several minutes going through each receiver, dutifully rattling off receiver, software and location numbers on the 3 receivers that I have up and working.
I then explained that my 4th receiver wasn't hooked-up as I use it occasionally in my camper.
The CSR told me (politely) that I would have to establish another account for the receiver or it would be disconnected. Additionally, I could NEVER activate that receiver on my account again.
Basically, my honesty bought me a $100 dollar boat anchor! I've heard Charlie talk about taking his receiver to the cabin on the weekends. Others freely use their units in campers and motor homes. Does dish require a separate account when you get a motor home waiver???
Anyhow, I've rattled off an e-mail to Charlie requesting (demanding) that he restore the service or credit my account $100 for the worthless receiver. He gets about $150 from me each month in service fees. He is REALLY splitting hairs on this one!
Any suggestions???

(Note: I posted this yesterday in the "PUB" section. I'm moving it here for "wider circulation.")

Last edited:

rocatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 28, 2003
Based on what was described, how would Dish know if you hadn't "rented" your fourth receiver to a neighbor without a separate subscription. I think the concept of taking a receiver to the cabin or using it in a camper implies that you unhook it from your configuration at home temporarily. Yes, doing it this way is a hassle but then how many folks are going to pay the $5.00/month extra receiver fee for a receiver that isn't hooked up a good portion of the time.

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
mdonnelly said:
Hey boba, do you work for Direct, or just own stock?
No I don't own stock but I do make my living by selling DISH and Directv satellite systems. Charlie has been very nice about pissing off his customers with audits and has been increasing my income by getting DISH customers to switch to Directv. Two weeks ago I had a customer that had been with DISH for about 7 years, subscribed to AEP and paid on an annual basis turned off by Audit Team. He now has Directv and because of DISH's attitude his brother and son have got Directv. No they weren't sharing accounts. Charlie may be costing DISH more than Audit checks is saving DISH.:)

Gary Murrell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2005
Prestonsburg, KY
Boy I had the audit team on my ass a few weeks back :mad:, they basically told me I HAD to go out and purchase a cordless phone

they kept calling me up and catching me off guard every day for a week or so, I think that they had already decided that I had receivers spread between homes

I don't, we just have a lot of people in our family and a large home

all my receivers are now connected to a phone line 100% of the time, I do not wish to deal with those pricks anymore, boy was I mad when they were on my back

-Gary

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
rocatman said:
Based on what was described, how would Dish know if you hadn't "rented" your fourth receiver to a neighbor without a separate subscription. I think the concept of taking a receiver to the cabin or using it in a camper implies that you unhook it from your configuration at home temporarily. Yes, doing it this way is a hassle but then how many folks are going to pay the $5.00/month extra receiver fee for a receiver that isn't hooked up a good portion of the time.

The problem is that Dish keeps talking out both sides of its ass, the CSRs, Installers, and Dealers tell the customer one thing about receivers in RVs and the Nazi audit team tells them the opposite! Anyone who has had to deal with these rude, arrogant a**holes has a right to be pissed. I will never think about Dish the same way again, and I passed! My son was just moving into his new home when I had my interrogation, his household is cell only, after hearing about my experience he went with D*. Any company that thinks it's alright to treat its customers like crooks has a serious problem. :mad:

NightRyder

Last edited:

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
Frank Jr. said:
Do they still audit if your receivers are plugged into a phone line?

They aren't supposed to, but I have read accounts where the Nazi audit team has mistakenly gone after a customer who had all his receivers connected.

NightRyder

grb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 7, 2005
Southern CA
I subscribed to Dish (again, after a 5 year absence) in May and got free installation and the rest of the offerings for new subscribers. I had 2 receivers set up, although I could have had 4. A few months later I decided to hook up a 3rd receiver, but it was going to cost big bucks since I was now a paying subscriber. I decided to hook up an old receiver with my old dish (switches were too expensive to integrate the additional receiver with the new installed system).

I was able to minimize my self-installation cost by using the old equipment, but the room that it is in does not have a phone connection. I often wondered how they would know if this second installation was really at my home -- now I know -- it is the audit police!

I suppose I, too, will be harrassed soon since they know I have two systems installed...

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
I have to tell ya! All my receivers are connected to a phone line. My wife almost all the time answers the phone. I have warned her about this audit team. All she wants is for her tv to work. She likes our system and dose not concern herself further with it. They DO NOT want to call my house. "Hell hath no fury like my wife P.O." Our home is our castle and she would perceive this as an invasion of privacy. I could just see her running all over the house turning tv's and receivers on and off reading numbers off of a tv screen. Oooh no. She is well connected with the local and national news media as well. Hell, I would probably after it was all said and done be back to totally OTA. With that said. We should all know that DishNetwork wants the receivers connected to a phone line to deter account sharing. We should not be surprised if we get a call from DishNetwork if the receivers are not connected to a phone line. This would not however excuse rude or abusive treatment from their audit team.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I imagine a lot of people would just go back to cable if they had to go through that type of hassle. They do not require a phoneline. I don't think DirecTv has such big hassles too. A lot of people just ain't going to tolerate this type of bull. They gave me a rough time too and if they do so one more time telling me to read off receiver numbers that are still on the account but not activated like they did last time and locking my account, I am done with Dish Network. I got my receivers all connected to a phoneline.

ScooterS

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 14, 2003
I got a callback from Dish this morning after sending my Charlie/CEO letter.

She wants me to get the receiver hooked back up in the house and she will reactivate. She said that to avoid the problem in the future, I should make sure that all receivers are always connected to a phone line.

Very polite and helpful. I will update after things are all working again.

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
I disconnected the phone lines from both of my receivers over a year ago. Every couple of days I would go to my OTA Favorites on my 921 and find them erased except for 1, channel 68. My 921 died a few weeks ago a and I reinstalled my 6000U for the time being and DIDN'T connect the phone line.

Nothing has been said to me fo over a year and when I upgrade my 6000U and my DVR in my radio room (I forget the model number but I have had it over 3 years) I will NOT connect a phone line. And the changing of my OTA favorites stopped.

Dish has NO bussiness calling my reverivers and snooping around, IMHO.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

Last edited:

ScooterS

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 14, 2003
Hey Iceberg... Come to think of it, you are the first from the forums.. Thanks!

grb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 7, 2005
Southern CA
Frank Jr. said:
All she wants is for her tv to work. She likes our system and dose not concern herself further with it. They DO NOT want to call my house. "Hell hath no fury like my wife P.O." Our home is our castle and she would perceive this as an invasion of privacy..

Sounds a lot like my wife...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)