Ok Roast away... DTV HR24 and 5lnb Slim Line Tri Pod Set up Questions.

Mark White

Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
Dallas GA
So I found out DTV is sending me a Geniw for the house and adding a home dish on roof.
The concern is for my RV I travel a lot like 10 months a yr and They said they were sending me two DVR HD receivers and the model was HR24s
I wanted something like a tailgater so I can move seven times a yr and not have a lot of hassle, then I read that the SD channels were getting the boot in 2019 and I saw some post on other sites that said the Quest would from what I was reading would end up useless. (Why would people continue to sell the Quest if they new it wouldnt work?

Anyhow as I was reading I guess I learned that for the 5 lnb set up you cover the entire spectrum of sats they broadcast on I figured the best way to get HD for real was a Tri Pod set up. which is also a lot chgeaper...I dont want to fork out 1500 for winegard.
I ordered this thing.
DirecTV SWM SL5S Portable Satellite Dish RV Kit for Camping Tailgating
I would like to know before the installer arrives for the RV if I need anything else like the B thing I keep seeing I am confused between the 3 lnb set up and the five and also I would like to know how to set the receiver to scan for the right signal the LNB and mode or whatever the settings were...

Any help is greatly appreciated

I also want to get Pensacola locals and I do own a house there currently the market will be from GA and Atlanta is locals I dont care about Atlanta... I asked and DTV said it was easy to set the locals to a different area when Im traveling anyone dealt with this? Any hints or guides? Thanks again.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Mark White!
If a 3 lnb version is available you should get it since the satellites that a 5 lnb receives are going away soon. You won't need b band converters. If you are getting an RV account then you will receive locals from NYC or LA. If you get a normal home account and get Pensacola locals, they will only be receivable within a few hundred miles or so because they are on spot beams. DirecTV lied about getting different locals as you move around.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Mark White!
If a 3 lnb version is available you should get it since the satellites that a 5 lnb receives are going away soon. You won't need b band converters. If you are getting an RV account then you will receive locals from NYC or LA. If you get a normal home account and get Pensacola locals, they will only be receivable within a few hundred miles or so because they are on spot beams. DirecTV lied about getting different locals as you move around.
NO, they didn't lie ...
You CAN get the locals in the viewing area of the city you are in thru them ...

They didn't clarify the locals when they explained it to him .... No, he can't get his home town locals thruout the states outside of his Home area.

NO, they didn't lie ...
You CAN get the locals in the viewing area of the city you are in thru them ...

They didn't clarify the locals when they explained it to him .... No, he can't get his home town locals thruout the states outside of his Home area.
You can change your locals as you travel? Since when? I thought you could only get the CONUS locals.

Haha... Thanks for the comments and the life off its own it took briefly...
Raoul5788 Thanks for the tip let me ask you a question.
Ok they said locals where I was actually located like if Im in Denver then those. To be crystal clear.
Um with LNB question will my 5 lnb work and even if they are dropping some and the three will work I can dial the dish in. No problem just takes a minute tweaking it in there...
But if I stick with what I have already ordered, will it all work in True HD as designed no matter where I am on the road, and if switching to the 3 is only to lock easier on sats then as long as I am ok with 5 Ill stick with it for now and switch over when I find a LNB that works cheap somewhere sometime.
Ok so I guess Im ok?
Thanks again folks

Haha... Thanks for the comments and the life off its own it took briefly...
Raoul5788 Thanks for the tip let me ask you a question.
Ok they said locals where I was actually located like if Im in Denver then those. To be crystal clear.
Um with LNB question will my 5 lnb work and even if they are dropping some and the three will work I can dial the dish in. No problem just takes a minute tweaking it in there...
But if I stick with what I have already ordered, will it all work in True HD as designed no matter where I am on the road, and if switching to the 3 is only to lock easier on sats then as long as I am ok with 5 Ill stick with it for now and switch over when I find a LNB that works cheap somewhere sometime.
Ok so I guess Im ok?
Thanks again folks
The 3 lnb is generally easier to align. The 5 lnb will receive from 2 satellites that won't be used in the not too distant future, but it will still work on the remaining sats. So yes, you are ok.

The 3 lnb is generally easier to align. The 5 lnb will receive from 2 satellites that won't be used in the not too distant future, but it will still work on the remaining sats. So yes, you are ok.
Chip,
Will he have any Guide loading issues if he keeps the 5 vs the 3 ?
I remember there was a time when the guide info came off that Sat if you used the 119 ....
Thats probably changed, but just wanted to make sure.

Chip,
Will he have any Guide loading issues if he keeps the 5 vs the 3 ?
I remember there was a time when the guide info came off that Sat if you used the 119 ....
Thats probably changed, but just wanted to make sure.
I can only assume not since Directv isn't going to swap out every 5 lnb for a 3.
[automerge]1579392425[/automerge]
Home .... but use it with the RV. (shhhhh ...)
So that's why you can get the local locals. What if you have an RV account?

I can only assume not since Directv isn't going to swap out every 5 lnb for a 3.
[automerge]1579392425[/automerge]

So that's why you can get the local locals. What if you have an RV account?
I'm sure that would kick in the Conus NY channels ...

Sometimes, what they don't know, won't hurt ....
Don't offer info when not asked.

You only have potential guide issues if you are using a 5 LNB in legacy mode. With SWM it doesn't matter, and I expect once they phase out 119 completely a firmware update will remove the SL5 option from the firmware and existing SL5s will show up as SL3s. If you try to configure an SL5 in legacy mode it'll probably put up a warning tell you you need to either go SWM or swap it for an SL3.

Otherwise anytime a receiver in legacy mode is left tuned to a channel on 103 it won't get any guide updates once 119 is gone.

Reactions: Jimbo