Ok to Combine RF outputs of 2 receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ajohnson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
Riverside, CA
I'm trying to figure out how to allow TV's in different rooms to view programs from 2 or more different receivers (like a 510 and 921) and was wondering if it's ok to combine the rf outputs so the TV could choose channel 3 or 4 to pick which it was going to view. Or, taking it a step further, putting 1 receiver on composite (or component or svid) output and having 2 other receivers on channels 3 and 4 so the TV could choose aux input, channel 3, or channel 4.

I made a diagram:
satellite combines3.gif

What do you think? Will I be causing some kind of voltage feedback between the receivers and blow something out?

Both options can work... BUT Channel 3 AND 4 WILL interfear with each other. ever turned on a vcr that was set to channel 3 with your tv on 4... it screws it all up... yes this is a little different. You shouldnt blow anything up with either setup but 3 and 4 will interfear.

Yes, 3 & 4 are very likely to interfere with each other. If you'v got a 322 and/or 522, the TV2 output is UHF with a much wider channel selection and stereo audio to boot!

As for voltage feedback, you need to make sure your diplexers are DC-blocking on the VHF side, and DC-passing on the satellite side. Satellite receivers send voltage to the switch/LNBF to power and control it.

P.S. Love your diagram! :)

Well, what I've got is a 921 downstairs and a 510 in my wiring closet. I've run the rf out of the 921 back to the closet but aren't doing anything with it yet. Right now the 510 is feeding the master bedroom and and my wifes workroom, but I'm probably going to put an 810 in the bedroom. This gives me two dvr signals I may potentially want to view in the master, or possibly elsewhere. I have 4 other rooms I haven't mentioned and two 311's to play around with.

There are RF modulators available that allow you to output to any channel. That would eliminate any chance of the to feeds interfering with each other.

You could also use the antenna input on the 510 to send the signal from another receiver . But using modulators like jssat suggested gives you more flexibility; it would allow you to send the signal from the sat, DVD changer, VCR (remember what those are ?) etc. The only signal you would not want to send this way is HD . In that case you're best to have the receiver located at the video display .

The only problem you will have is controlling them as you will need several remotes .

That's an interesting idea. For instance I think I'll try running the RF out from the downstairs 921 to the antenna in of the 510, then use a diplexor to combine the 510's RF out on the run to the 811, where I'll split it back out but put the 510 signal into the antenna in of the 811.

That way I should be able to watch normal satellite on the 811, but if I tune it to channel 3, I'll be seeing whatever the 510 is doing, and if I tune the 510 to channel 3 also, I'll be seeing whatever the 921 is doing. :cool:

Yes - an interesting idea, but I'd be worried about the picture quality. Maybe instead of running the analog into the 811, you could send it directly to the TV, thereby avoiding one box's worth of signal loss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)