OK..Where's the big surprises now???

The people have spoken

I read a lot on what you guys are saying about the problems with Dish. But... what is Ruppert doing that is so much better?
Direct's customer service is no better. (regardless of what J.D. Power says) Pegasus is becoming non-existent in our area.

What is Ruppert doing for existing customers? Can they go down to Wal-Mart if they need a new receiver? Can they get TiVo or an HD IRD for free?

Last month was the best month ever for my store. D
I sell both Dish and Pegasus.
Every customer of mine choose Dish.
Last year was the opposite.

I am not endorsing Charlie or Ruppert as the savior of satellite but if my customers, in a huge majority, are choosing Dish, maybe they are not in such bad shape after all...

I love this site.

I get the feeling that a merger maybe in the works too. Kinda what I saw when the company I was at merged. The other thing to watch would be staffing levels, especially at call centers - those positions seem to be the ones the buyor loves to move to their own sites.

Possibility of Switching to *D

Neutron said:
This has certainly made me consider switching to D*. crappy new receivers, price increase after advertising the feed the pig campaign, and the possibility that they may get Triangle TV and this crap with Bingo TV has made me think a lot. Plus the programming package price is a big factor I have been thinking about.

I switched to D* last fall after being an E* customer for several years. I got tired of waiting for HD offerings/equipment from E* that never materialized. I also noticed that the various DBS discussion sites had a lot more "bitching" about E* than D*.

I've been very pleased with the switch. I have 2 Hughes SD receivers, 1 Sony HD receiver and one Tivo. The picture quality is as good (if not better) than E*'s and the variety of programming fits my needs. I have had absolutely no problems with any of the receivers and, on the few occasions that I have called CSRs to activate new equipment, have been very pleased with the service I received.

That's just my one person's opinion!

Re: Possibility of Switching to *D

tds4182 said:
Neutron said:
This has certainly made me consider switching to D*. crappy new receivers, price increase after advertising the feed the pig campaign, and the possibility that they may get Triangle TV and this crap with Bingo TV has made me think a lot. Plus the programming package price is a big factor I have been thinking about.

I switched to D* last fall after being an E* customer for several years. I got tired of waiting for HD offerings/equipment from E* that never materialized. I also noticed that the various DBS discussion sites had a lot more "bitching" about E* than D*.

I've been very pleased with the switch. I have 2 Hughes SD receivers, 1 Sony HD receiver and one Tivo. The picture quality is as good (if not better) than E*'s and the variety of programming fits my needs. I have had absolutely no problems with any of the receivers and, on the few occasions that I have called CSRs to activate new equipment, have been very pleased with the service I received.

That's just my one person's opinion!

It seems whenever I view HDTVs there is terrible pixelation in the pictures ( whether LCD, plasma, CRT, whatever). These are DirectTV only stores, and they are mostly showing Discovery HD. I see very little pixelation on Dish ... and then it is low-interest channels like shopping channels. Never on a premium channel or PPV, and I should think not on the "premium" HD channels.

Any commentary on this observation?

It seems at least Dish has enough discretion to super-compress only the 'free' channels, not those it is charging customers a premium for.

It's been posted that D* does not use mpeg 2 compression. They are compressing the signal more on their HD channels more than E*. D*'s HD channels are using mpeg 1.5. That's why most who see both company's HD picture side by side prefer E*'s (mpeg 2) HD quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts